Back to Introduction to Mathematical Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Mathematical Thinking by Stanford University

Learn how to think the way mathematicians do – a powerful cognitive process developed over thousands of years. Mathematical thinking is not the same as doing mathematics – at least not as mathematics is typically presented in our school system. School math typically focuses on learning procedures to solve highly stereotyped problems. Professional mathematicians think a certain way to solve real problems, problems that can arise from the everyday world, or from science, or from within mathematics itself. The key to success in school math is to learn to think inside-the-box. In contrast, a key feature of mathematical thinking is thinking outside-the-box – a valuable ability in today’s world. This course helps to develop that crucial way of thinking....

PD
Jun 29, 2020

It has help evaluate what I put into decision in any applicable context. Since I've noted what decision I make and how outcome can be made to vary when I consider all components in a isolated manner.

NR
Mar 4, 2018

An awesome course. Very easy to follow at the start, becomes more challenging at the end. I have a PhD in economics yet I struggled with the real analysis at the end. And that's just intro level! :-D

126 - 150 of 527 Reviews for Introduction to Mathematical Thinking

By Deepak S

Jul 8, 2017

This course really helped me notice the subtleties of simple mathematical things in nature and even in daily life which we take for granted or assume to be true. This was my first course and it was a good decision

By Chaitanya K 5

A fantastic course , professor Keith was extraordinary , I am currently pursuing my Bsc. in Mathematics and this is one course that I recommend for all the students who see their future in fields of mathematics

By Yechen H

Jul 11, 2021

E​xcellent Course. It's very well structured and I feel like learn a lot about "Mathematical Thinking" and hence have more confident in learning more advance Mathematical Materials. Thanks very much Professor!

By Ravi N

Mar 15, 2017

This was a really good course, making you "think" in general and in particular about mathematical proofs. The professor's exposition was outstanding. The explanation of evaluation of proofs was really nice.

By acate j

Jan 5, 2019

I wish I had a class like this in high school. It would have been a great class between algebra and calculus. Should be required for every high school student. I plan on reviewing this class many times.

By Maja A F M

Apr 5, 2021

Somewhat stressful and difficult to complete. But worth the effort in the end. It was time-consuming and it takes time to understand the matter. So not a good idea if you're in a rush, but great learning.

By Lee D H

Jun 1, 2020

Exceptionally good course, one of the best online courses I've completed. Really feel that I have learnt some valuable skills, and more importantly a better way of thinking about mathematics. Many thanks.

By Eugene P

Feb 14, 2020

This course was really useful. I learnt so much! I could appreciate why mathematics is such a beautiful subject by the end of this course. Definitely glad to have taken this course, and would recommend.

By Andrew D

Aug 17, 2020

This is an excellent course, which provides insights into how mathematicians think about proofs. The exercises are not hard, but they do require careful thought. This is a well constructed course.

By M.M.H. S

Jul 16, 2020

Top lecturer and top lecturers. Must admit, i had to work harder this time for it to really understand. Happy I took the energy to find again my passion for mathematics in a way i really enjoyed.

By Mohan N

Jun 25, 2021

This is an amazing course if you want to start with advanced mathematics especially want to improve in proof writing. which is one of the most important skills required for a graduate program.

By Joshua T K W

Jul 31, 2020

Started off fairly simple, but as you progress throughout the weeks, it gets challenging. This course has taught me critical thinking, and skills that can be applied to other subjects/modules

By Volodya T

Dec 8, 2019

Great course! Highly recommend it to all my friends interested in math. Devlin is a talented teacher, not just a mathematician (as it usually happens with someone who happen to teach math).

By Technophobe01

Apr 6, 2017

I have to say I enjoyed the course and the reading materials. My advice would be to take the course it will make you think. It is a great refresher / introduction to mathematical thinking.

By Reinaldo L d O e C

Mar 5, 2018

It is nice to see connections among mathematical theories, and this course it is very well designed to accomplish this. I highly recommend if you want to improve your mathematical skills.

By zeyad e

Jan 17, 2017

i just had taken this course in the college and i don't understand a lot of things but after i started in the course a lot of thinking going to be more clear , thank you for this course .

By viola

Apr 24, 2018

With the help of this course, my grade for fundamental mathematics at school raised from C to A. Really thankful. This course truly helped me better understand the abstruse conceptions.

By Fabio R Z M

Apr 20, 2020

Great course to learn how to develop proofs and mathematical / logic arguments. The course very start seems too basic, but there are many interesting concepts being developed further.

By Keagan R

May 6, 2020

We are still in the early days of MOOCS. Prof. Devlin Makes sure that you get the best possible education despite the limitations of the platform. You'll really learn something here.

By Akash v

Sep 27, 2019

One of the best online course i have ever taken. Thanks to Keith sir for explaining all the concepts so engagingly and in detail. Looking forward for course's like this on coursera.

By Artem M

Mar 11, 2020

This course actually changed my life. It gave me the courage to start studying mathematics at a university. Thank you so much, Dr. Keith Devlin and the team at Stanford University!

By Vladimirs R

May 6, 2017

The course is a really good introduction into the world of mathematical proofs and the logic behind them. Really, everyone will benefit from the way of thinking the course teaches.

By Sanjay G

Aug 29, 2020

Here are three benefits i found after taking this course

This course helps improve your logical reasoning, prepares you for future maths classes and also helps you in programming.

By Vamsee M K

Mar 16, 2017

This is a very important course on the journey to mathematical mastery. It helped in developing the ability to read and write mathematical statements without feeling intimidated.

By Tim G

Jul 26, 2020

Great course. It ramps up quite steeply towards the end but is arranged to still be doable by someone like me, who will have to work more on even the introductory real analysis.