Back to Philosophy of Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Philosophy of Science by University of Pennsylvania

For the last four centuries, scientists have aimed to provide us with an understanding of the world around us. By all appearances, science has made substantial progress during this time. But is this progress real or illusory? And if it is real, how has this progress been made? This four-week course will consider these important questions. Specific topics will include how scientists generate knowledge through observations, experiments, and simulations; scientific objectivity and failures of scientific objectivity; the self-correcting nature of the scientific community; the positive and negative influences that values can have on science; the relationship between science and religion; and the role of the public in guiding the scientific enterprise....

SB

Feb 20, 2020

Interesting information, well presented. The course gave me new ways of looking at scientific studies and research that will, I believe, make me a more sophisticated consumer of science reporting.

JS

Feb 27, 2020

This course opened me up to all sorts of perspectives and ideas that I never thought about. I was unaware of the field of the philosophy of science. I really appreciated the exposure!

1 - 23 of 23 Reviews for Philosophy of Science

By Oishee B

Apr 29, 2020

This course really does give you another perspective of science. As a scientist, I think it is important to know why I study and pursue this field, and I gained an immense amount of insight into this. As for those not in this field, it is important for them to know why they should trust science, given that it powers (sometimes literally) many important aspects of their lives. I loved the reading assigned to us, and have made it a habit to continue using those sources for research. Professor Weisberg seemed genuinely passionate about what he was saying, and his small inputs about what he personally believed were incredibly valuable. Thank you!

By THOMAS K

Feb 26, 2020

The course was a nice tutorial on how we should appreciate modern science and the need for good science to advance civilization and advance humanity. The course gave us a good foundation of how to be a good consumer of scientific research and journalism and to appreciate the self correcting nature of science by scientific collaboration and peer review. I enjoyed the refresher course and the thoughtful presentation.

By Eliza M

Feb 28, 2020

I found the course material interesting and relevant, the balance between readings and lectures to be appropriate, and the discussions to be thought provoking. The work required stretched me just enough out of my comfort zone, so that I had to recall my old study habits. But doing so during the doldrums of winter was something I looked forward to each day/week,

By Tony P C

May 06, 2020

Excellent course with the expert guidance of Professor Michael Weisberg. You learn about the scientific method and the role that the scientific community plays in the subjectivity of the researcher. The concepts of philosophers such as Popper, Kuhn, Feyerabend and others more contemporary are studied.

By Jeff H

Feb 29, 2020

I thought Professor Weisberg was engaging and thoughtful. He enabled me to consider aspects of science that is relevant to the public discourse today. I liked how he brought in examples from the Levine lab and also referenced other contemporary philosophers' works.

By Geoffrey L

Feb 23, 2020

Excellent course and provides a real appreciation of science during a time of real conflict over many scientific proposals, ie climate change. I now have a much greater appreciation of how hard Science is and how necessary the review and challenge process is.

By Rim F

Very enjoyable course, I have learned a lot, while reviewing some basic knowledge. I highly recommend it for anyone who would like to have a defined framework on how science should be approached from a philosophical perspective.

By ali y

Feb 28, 2020

very good coverage of the subject matter. Inıtial examples of what science is about converged attention. Further information about the works by thinkers of the area broadened the understanding between science and values.

By Susan B

Feb 20, 2020

By JodiLynne S

By Padma E

Feb 24, 2020

Help me to go back to my philosophy course as undergrad. This is a remind of critical thinking and how do you examine science and its contents. Great course

By José G C G

Apr 15, 2020

Really nice and well-explained Course. I really enjoyed the information and activities. Gave me new ideas about how to think and plan my teaching.

By Ethan A

May 04, 2020

Although this was first first course done with this system I felt it was done extremely well. Interaction with other students was made simple.

By Edgar G

Mar 05, 2020

A great introduction to the basis and the actual practice of science.

By Keith S A

Mar 06, 2020

Great job! Very good, but just not nearly long enough!

By Xiomara N

May 05, 2020

I loved this course and all the material.

By Philip W

Feb 27, 2020

i am looking forward to more training!

By Laura G

Very interesting. I loved to do it.

By Charlotte d V

Thank you!

By Harris C

Feb 29, 2020

Well structured course, Prof. Weisberg's videos were clear, articulate, Vanessa of the teaching staff was very supportive, encouraging, and engaged in participants' comments. I wish there could have been some opportunity to contrast other lines of inquiry about the world in which we live, broadly speaking "the arts," which I think could help us better understand the inquiry about the "the sciences." To carry this a bit further, the legal system has elements of the scientific inquiry (e.g., "peer review" via jury, rules of evidence, cross examination) yet it isn't, and perhaps shouldn't be "scientific. And what are the structure and rules of inquiry in a subject such as history that allow "truth" to be discovered? I present these points also to indicate that this course got me thinking.

By Paul T

Mar 01, 2020

I found the material of the course very interesting as I have a background in physics and astronomy. The discussion on bias and methods for reducing it was well done.

I did have difficulty navigating the course material at times. It did not feel very intuitive to me, but I caught on after a while.

Thanks you for an over-all good experience.

By Sophie A

May 16, 2020

Great for scientist who are new to philosophy. The lecturer is fantastic, he's very inspiring and successfully inspires you to read and learn more about philosophy. Be prepared to begin questioning everything you hold as true.

By James W M

Feb 21, 2020

Very intellectually stimulating considering the relatively few hours involved.

Tough quizes!