Back to Planet Earth...and You!

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Planet Earth...and You! by University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Earthquakes, volcanoes, mountain building, ice ages, landslides, floods, life evolution, plate motions—all of these phenomena have interacted over the vast expanses of deep time to sculpt the dynamic planet that we live on today. Planet Earth presents an overview of several aspects of our home, from a geological perspective. We begin with earthquakes—what they are, what causes them, what effects they have, and what we can do about them. We will emphasize that plate tectonics—the grand unifying theory of geology—explains how the map of our planet's surface has changed radically over geologic time, and why present-day geologic activity—including a variety of devastating natural disasters such as earthquakes—occur where they do. We consider volcanoes, types of eruptions, and typical rocks found there. Finally, we will delve into the processes that produce the energy and mineral resources that modern society depends on, to help understand the context of the environment and sustainability challenges that we will face in the future....

NS

May 23, 2020

The professors make learning fun and fruitful. This course is interesting and provides great insights into Mother Nature and why we should protect the one and only home we have.

SH

Sep 11, 2017

This is the second time that I took this course. It was more in depth in topics than the original course, and I enjoyed it. Good presentation. Thank you.

1 - 25 of 26 Reviews for Planet Earth...and You!

By Sebastian P

Jul 23, 2017

Very good information - I loved the Google Earth Labs you guys set up for us. Really useful and a fun way to connect knowledge with real life.

By Suzan H

Sep 11, 2017

By Leonardo M

May 06, 2020

The course is very useful, the teacher explains clearly and provides a solid foundation. I am fully satisfied.

By Mariusz K

Oct 11, 2017

Nice entry to geology.

By Felipe N

May 24, 2019

An incredible course with incredible teachers and full of new and complex information. It was a dream to study this subject and now I'm trained and certified. Thank you for this opportunity to share and acquire more knowledge on this subject that is increasingly important to know, after all, the world needs to be studied and known so that our decisions are rational and not harmful to the environment. Finally, I hope that someday I will be able to study at the University of Illinois.

By Jolanta F

Jun 07, 2019

I love this course, though I have only audited it - I am going to do the whole course when I have more time! Professor Marshak teaches with ease, engages students and makes geology a passionate subject matter. I would love to see more courses by Him covering the other chapters of his book Essentials of geology. Highly recommended for anyone who wants to understand science in action.

By Aw Z Y

May 23, 2020

The team put in a lot of effort to design this course regardless of the lectures, quizzes, lab assignments, peer-review assignments etc. Personally, I had a great time doing the lab assignments as several of them requires me to use the Google Earth app to do. I recommend everyone to take this course as it uses a novel approach to teach the course content.

By Teng W K

May 23, 2020

Material was extremely engaging and the use of Google Earth Pro was incredible! Lesson was well-designed and structured, extremely interactive and immersive. Assignments were short and sweet, allowed me to apply my learnings in a succinct manner. Highly recommend!

By Eileen H S Y

I enjoyed the course! While it was somewhat challenging as it was unrelated to my major, the content remained largely interesting! I found the assignments quite interesting (I took it fairly seriously) as I researched and read up on.

By Farhan A B

It was an excellent course ! Anyone from any field of study can learn a lot of things about geology and earth science. I just love the course and the the lab of the course too. Waiting for more courses like this in future.

By Ng Y Z S

By David J R S

I am very grateful to this course and also to the instructors that share their vast knowledge about geology to students of this course. Thank you

By Tad I

Mar 15, 2020

Really enjoyed the course and will be able to use many of the things I learned to refresh some of my teachings in my classroom

By Kate S

Nov 15, 2017

Excellent course! Very informative without being tedious. Clear and concise delivery and illustrations. Would recommend!

By Robert C C

Jul 10, 2017

Great course, despite the glitches in the links, etc., which seemed to be outdated. i really gained little from the forum.

By Hassan S

Sep 20, 2017

Th course is really great and rich and what I rally liked is the practical work on google earth.

By Ivan F

Jun 26, 2017

Me dió una fundamentación en las ciencias de la tierra. Bien explicado e informativo

By Phoa J L

Interesting content, appropriate for beginners, truly an eye-opening experience.

By MANRAJ M

Course was really interesting. I really enjoyed during this course.

By Ng H

Excellent course on geography, the nature and the world around us.

By Loe W T T

outstanding course with clear videos and interactive assignments

By Zubair A

Oct 25, 2018

very interesting to me it gives very basic information.

By Jessica H

Sep 07, 2017

Very interesting and interactive course.

By Pedro A B M

Aug 09, 2018

excelente curso

By Jean-Robert G

Jun 26, 2017

Very clear and easy to understand even if you're note native english speaker.

It would have been great to get the answers to the quizzes even in the free version.