Back to Python Basics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Python Basics by University of Michigan

This course introduces the basics of Python 3, including conditional execution and iteration as control structures, and strings and lists as data structures. You'll program an on-screen Turtle to draw pretty pictures. You'll also learn to draw reference diagrams as a way to reason about program executions, which will help to build up your debugging skills. The course has no prerequisites. It will cover Chapters 1-9 of the textbook "Fundamentals of Python Programming," which is the accompanying text (optional and free) for this course. The course is for you if you're a newcomer to Python programming, if you need a refresher on Python basics, or if you may have had some exposure to Python programming but want a more in-depth exposition and vocabulary for describing and reasoning about programs. This is the first of five courses in the Python 3 Programming Specialization....

NR
Oct 17, 2019

It's a must join course for the people who want to deep dive into the world of Python. I really loving this course very much. I wanna explore more hence opting for other parts of this specialization.

DK
Dec 7, 2020

The course was very comprehensive and easy to understand. The instructors made sure that they are giving the information in a way that won't make me confused. Thank you so much for this great course!

101 - 125 of 2,579 Reviews for Python Basics

By April X

Jan 30, 2019

Very helpful

By Nur A R

Jul 2, 2020

This is a good introductory course to Python, definitely gets the interest going! However, when doing exercises and practice questions, I feel that there can be more support provided. Especially in terms of identifying the mistakes done so students can rectify it (and the thought process is actually what's most important because this is what we'll takeaway). Most often than not, I find myself scouring through the world wide web instead because the issue is not sufficiently addressed in the textbook materials. The problem with solutions on the world wide web is that sometimes they're using methods which we have yet to cover in the classes hence, we don't really understand.

By Munshi I H

Dec 27, 2019

The content is good for a first course. 2 drawbacks - (1.) Question asked on the discussion forum was not answered. (2). Steve is not quite clear with explanations. One of the examples... In places where running code with different conditions could help explain the difference, he ran them one at a time.

By Frank P

Apr 7, 2020

Content is good and pedagogic but:

The tool is veeeeeeeeeeeryyyyyyyy slow to load between each answer and it's visible that it hasn't been updated or rewritten using a better presentation framework.

Course is not updated to the latest python 3.8

Does not work on iPad !!!! come on !

By Andrea D C

Nov 12, 2019

If you want to learn the basics of Python, take Dr. Chuck's "Programming for Everybody." The lectures in this course were slow and not interesting, so I didn't watch them and I just worked through the Runestone project to complete the course.

By Daniel S

Apr 27, 2019

It does an ok job at teaching the basics, but it doesn't push you hard enough. Learning supplementary information along side makes this course extremely simple.

By VARDHAN P

May 13, 2020

This course didn't meet my expectations. It had a very very small portion of python which is obviously not enough.

By Ahmed A

Sep 6, 2019

Quite useful for advanced programmers as well.

By Rebecca Y

Jul 30, 2020

The lectures were OK but a majority of the questions on the exams were incredibly difficult and did not represent the basics that were taught in the previous lectures. I passed them by googling snippits of code and piecing it together rather than recalling what was taught. It is unfortunate that the exams/quizzes where actual coding was required did not test for comprehension of what was truly taught because I could have really used the extra reinforcement. I really appreciate the way Steve breaks down code and visually explains it--but that's really the only positive I have. Very disappointed in this specialization thus far and its only class 1!

By Peter K

Nov 17, 2020

The course content is very disorganized. Key concepts aren't introduced in a logical and systematic manner. Definitions weren't clear. I had to constantly use Google to figure out what the terms were and how things should be organized. There wasn't enough project related work to support hands-on learning and a deeper understanding of the content.

I would not recommend this course. I will be signing up for a new and different online python course shortly.

By Evans W

Mar 15, 2020

Unbelievable slow and plodding. Videos just tell you how to answer the problems, sometimes all or nearly all of them.

When I had to put it on hold I found that I couldn't progress until I had waited for several months for another "session" -- something I don't believe they made clear would happen. Just dropping the course.

By BHIMA J D N

Apr 2, 2020

excellent course and very usefull to beginners thank you sirr!

By Hanspeter A

Jun 1, 2020

So far really frustrating. Supposed to be able to access Runestone but very frequently I'm unable to use it. When I click on Runestone I keep getting a message that I need to log on bu I am already logged on. This is unacceptable because it slows down progress. I would get a refund if I could.

Don't bother with this course, very frustrating.

By ANIKET V

Jul 12, 2020

i didn,t like the interferance of the course and their assigment tool very boring left the course after few lectures

By Pragya J

Jun 18, 2020

Can't see what you are typing on screen.... extremely basic and too much detailed which is not required

By Khushi s

Jun 12, 2020

you don't provide certificates.

can u please provide a certificate.

By Rakshith b

Jun 26, 2020

not recommended course to buy

By Abhay k

May 6, 2020

Fake course

By Md. E H Z

Jul 10, 2020

boring

By Mikael N

Oct 31, 2020

An excellent course expanding on details in a manner I've never seen in another course, e.g. showing how to identify list objects by the id function. Doing things in a practical and very thorough manner, emphasising daily practice, you are everyday offered a new set of questions and tasks to practice. Something I've up until now done by creating my own flash-cards. The course extends from not only showing Python program details, but also bringing in different programming perspectives; showing how to make things practical and to avoid easy but crucial errors, e.g. what naming convention to use for iterator and iterable. I've previously done a few Python courses, a few good ones here on Coursera, and practiced other programming languages in work for quite some time and this is the best Python course I've experienced so far.

By Abhishek S

Jun 18, 2020

Completely an admirable and brilliant course for those who want to make a perfect start in python as a beginner. The topics explained by the instructors are crystal clear. A lot of fun and adventure in this course. I personally liked it very much and feel that I would thrive in the world of python now.

The basics are cleared in every module like other python beginner courses, but the audacity of explanation and the ease of learning, along with very sharp programming techniques makes this course different from other courses.

The sub modules like "The Way of the Programmer" enhance your coding skills very well. I too grasped a lot of programming skills from this section. Even the Runestone tool has helped me in building a habit of practice. Overall, this was the best Python beginner's course I have now known.

May 20, 2019

If you have no idea what Python is but you want to know it, and if you have no programming experience, this course is excellent for you.

Frankly speaking, I expected some more challenge, as this course is recommended to take after finishing "Python for Everybody" specialization, but alas.

On the other side, it's called "Python Basics", not "Python Advanced Level" and I learned some new information from this course too (methods causing mutation and creating new objects, aliases, difference between "==" and "is", etc.)

Anyways, this is just the first step of a Python 3 Specialization and it gives you a very solid knowledge of Python fundamentals.

Interactive Textbook used in the course is a great source of knowledge and practice. And videos provided by professors leave no chance to misunderstanding.

By Alexander A

Apr 30, 2020

This course and the balance of courses 1-4 of the specialization were fantastic - I would highly recommend each. Course 5 (the capstone project) was an abomination. Basically zero instruction / guidance and very frustrating for anybody except decently experienced programmers. If courses 1-4 are your only exposure to Python, you could easily spend a month or more on this project. If getting the Specialization Certificate is very important to you, there are resources online that you can leverage to complete the project but that is done largely at the expense of any real learning, so I really hope UofM comes up with an alternative final project that is more consistent with the level of expertise attained in courses 1-5 (maybe something on implementing classic algorithms?).

By Herath M C N K B

This was a great course. Perfect course for you if you are a beginner in python and have no knowledge on how to start learning. I've tried lots of python courses before coming here. But all of them had the same fate. I either got bored in after listening to some lecture or the pace was too slow. Have to say, after i started watching the videos I kept going forward. The course was well paced and the lecturers were full of spirit. It took me hours to sit through a lesson in my previous course, but it took me only 1 week to finish the entire course.I'm hoping to continue others courses in this specialization. Also,thank you so much for the financial aid. I'm really grateful.

Enjoy the fireworks.(You will know what i mean once you are enrolled in this course.)

By Ondřej H

Jan 23, 2020

Programming seemed like magic or something unnecessarily complex to me. However, I decided to try and learn something about it. A close friend recommended Python 3 as a great starting language. This course was a perfect start. The interactive textbook is amazing. I also recommend downloading some software on your PC as well as it will provide you with additional tools for tinkering with your code.

The proscribed 1-hour limits on the tests were too short for me, but that is more due to me being relatively new to programming. The tasks themselves (even the most complex ones) take a few minutes at max if you know what you are doing.