Back to Race and Cultural Diversity in American Life and History

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Race and Cultural Diversity in American Life and History by University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Learners will deepen their understanding and appreciation of ways in which race, ethnicity and cultural diversity have shaped American institutions, ideology, law, and social relationships from the colonial era to the present. Race and ethnicity are ideological and cultural categories that include all groups and individuals. Hence, this course is designed in significant part to take a broad look at the ideology of race and cultural diversity in America’s past and present. The primary focus is on the historical and social relationships among European Americans, Native Americans, African Americans, Latino/as, and Asian/Pacific Americans. Issues of race and ethnicity are examined across different ethno-cultural traditions in order to interweave diverse experiences into a larger synthesis of the meaning of race and ethnicity in American life. In this course, we conceive of “race” and “diversity” as references to the entire American population, even as we recognize that different groups have unique historical experiences resulting in distinctive and even fundamental cultural differences. We treat race and ethnicity as dynamic, complex ideological and cultural processes that shape all social institutions, belief systems, inter-group relationships, and individual experiences....

EJ
Nov 18, 2020

I felt Dr Anderson did an excellent job and I enjoyed hearing from the other resources and speakers as well. I would be interested in other similar courses and also other classes from dr Anderson.

CL
Dec 1, 2020

This course was outstanding. The video presentaions, additonal readings, and peer reviews allowing insight into other students perspectives was a definite plus. Will recommend to other co-workers.

101 - 121 of 121 Reviews for Race and Cultural Diversity in American Life and History

By Jennifer D F

Aug 9, 2020

The lectures and related content were organized and well-presented. The assignments could have stated more clearly exactly what the expectations were, as there were aspects for peer grading that I did not realize were an expectation. I was able to see what would contribute to the grade by advancing to the peer review page, but that feels like a work-around.

By Maria P

I find the course to be informative, I am taking the course as part of my staying at home while on Covid 19. I am not taking it as a credit course but that I am interested in everything that I have read so far, I would like to read on, if possible. I've seen all the videos read the articles. I like to ask permission to go on.

Thank you, MariaP.

By Pablo J B

Jul 12, 2020

The videos by Professor Anderson are very good. I would be great if the Professor or his team would be available for answering questions on the Forums, as well as students are indicated that the Forum is not to ask for their papers to be reviewed, but to exchange ideas and thoughts. The Faculty should have a more active role on the Forum.

By Gabriel P O

Jul 15, 2020

The course was good in regard to information and easy to digest. The at your own pace and supplemental readings were nice. Assignments were a little confusing in regard to description and expectations. It would be beneficial to see the rubrics along with the assignment guidelines.

By Elvina C

Jul 14, 2020

The content itself is interesting and well-presented

However, the issue arises with the given tasks. the mark scheme is only available once submitted yet is necessary to complete the task as it routinely differs in key ways from the task outline

By Chelsea D

Jul 10, 2020

This was a great, and very educational course. My only constructive criticism is a lack of clarity for the assignments. Some of the instructions weren't quite detailed enough to understand the depth of what was being asked for.

By Lydia B

Jul 20, 2020

This was my first experience with a Coursera class and it left a very positive impression. I learned, I felt engaged with the curriculum and the assignments, and I had to invest time/energy into the work weekly.

By Mildred M

Jun 24, 2020

I want to unenroll the course. I am having a hard time because it's too taxing for me... I really like the course but I cannot cope up... Thank you

By Heather L

Jul 29, 2020

I found this course both educational & compelling. I learned a lot. It would be nice to have news clips or video examples embedded in the course,

By Lori D

Oct 9, 2020

Great class! I walked away with a wealth of knowledge about race and prejudice and the history of that particular topic. Great class!

By Ty K

Jul 10, 2020

Very interesting content. Final research papers were interesting. Caught someone plagiarizing and reported them.

By Lisa S

Jul 6, 2020

I learned a lot and although the assignments were challenging for me, I am very glad I completed the course.

By Rodney B

Jul 22, 2020

Great course. A lot of work for a free course, so might as well pay for it and get the cert!

By Maria L C

Jul 23, 2020

self study, self discipline,

materials were great. keep on learning

By DR. N K

Jul 12, 2020

good know this things around you

By Kara C

Mar 15, 2021

The assignments connect the participant to a more academic engagement with the topic than a practical one. I was hoping for to investigate ways I could apply the information delivered in the course for than stretch my skills as a scholar.

The concept of the course is important and well stated in Dr. Anderson's introduction and throughout the course -- learning about the racialization of American thought and culture allows us to see the underpinnings and grip of bias today. However, the assignments just didn't link up with extending the engagement with the material and the overall objective of the course.

I also had a technical issue week three with no way to remedy the situation. I was unable to copy and paste my work -- received a "coursersa is undergoing maintenance" message. The help screens offered to real solution and there is no way to reach out for technical support. Frustrating.

Overall, I appreciated the opportunity to learn from Dr. Anderson. Thank you.

By Timothy D

Jul 9, 2020

Enjoyed the content and found the additional resources to be fantastic! However, the assignments left much to be desired. The assignments themselves were vague and the rubrics (IF provided) were not clear. The course also has a peer review system, which would be fine, but grades seemed totally random. One week I received two 100% markings and one 30%!!

By Karen N

Jul 14, 2020

Very easy to follow. Very informative, particularly Week 4. It's what I needed now for information and reasoning. Thank you for the clarity of issues.

By Yvette D

Jan 5, 2021

you shouldn't have to purchase the certificate to submit your quizzes to get scored.