Back to Race and Cultural Diversity in American Life and History

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Race and Cultural Diversity in American Life and History by University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Learners will deepen their understanding and appreciation of ways in which race, ethnicity and cultural diversity have shaped American institutions, ideology, law, and social relationships from the colonial era to the present. Race and ethnicity are ideological and cultural categories that include all groups and individuals. Hence, this course is designed in significant part to take a broad look at the ideology of race and cultural diversity in America’s past and present. The primary focus is on the historical and social relationships among European Americans, Native Americans, African Americans, Latino/as, and Asian/Pacific Americans. Issues of race and ethnicity are examined across different ethno-cultural traditions in order to interweave diverse experiences into a larger synthesis of the meaning of race and ethnicity in American life. In this course, we conceive of “race” and “diversity” as references to the entire American population, even as we recognize that different groups have unique historical experiences resulting in distinctive and even fundamental cultural differences. We treat race and ethnicity as dynamic, complex ideological and cultural processes that shape all social institutions, belief systems, inter-group relationships, and individual experiences....

EJ
Nov 18, 2020

I felt Dr Anderson did an excellent job and I enjoyed hearing from the other resources and speakers as well. I would be interested in other similar courses and also other classes from dr Anderson.

CL
Dec 1, 2020

This course was outstanding. The video presentaions, additonal readings, and peer reviews allowing insight into other students perspectives was a definite plus. Will recommend to other co-workers.

51 - 75 of 121 Reviews for Race and Cultural Diversity in American Life and History

By Jean T

Jul 7, 2020

Race and Cultural Diversity in American Life and History should be taught in High School to everyone. I enjoyed everything about this course! Many thanks to James Anderson our instructor! Keep spreading the word!

By Denice L

Jul 13, 2020

I learned a tremendous amount from this course and have a very different perspective on a multitude of facets of our society. I sincerely appreciate the work of James Anderson and others who put this together.

By Carter E L

Dec 2, 2020

By Eddie W J

Nov 19, 2020

By Bryan W

Jul 13, 2020

The topics were good, and the professor clearly knows his subject. The final paper took more time than expected, but overall I felt like I came away with more knowledge on the subject.

By yulon w

Aug 7, 2020

exceptional course, very interesting, rigorous, however it keeps you on your toes. Due to all the issues going on right now, what better course to take than this. Thank you..

By Kathi L W

Jul 23, 2020

This was a very interesting course. I think everyone should take it. I am a history buff and there were things I didn't know. I am very glad I took this course.

By Aayush U

Dec 10, 2020

This course was very enlightening and provided me a deeper understanding of the ways in which race impacts, and has historically impacted, society.

By Nichole E M

Jul 7, 2020

This was a great class in which I learn many additional parts about US history that I had not previously known about or understood.

By Marguerite S

Dec 28, 2020

content is amazing and informative. I wish there was a way to switch the course to a learning audit and not do the course work.

By Maria G

Feb 8, 2018

I think is a course that everyone living in actual society need to take to widening their world and reject prejudgment.

By Doretha L

Sep 6, 2020

I learn a great deal from this course, with a thoughtful engaging professor. I would highly recommend this course.

By Ian C

Dec 25, 2020

Very informative. The course is necessary for those who want to dive deeper into the history of race in America.

By Brian J

Jan 27, 2021

Highly informative, offers fact-based details on race and cultural diversity, is straight forward and concise.

By Michael S

Jul 15, 2020

Dr. Anderson was insightful and the materials were super engaging. I wish this were an in-person course!

By Lalifatou B

Jan 27, 2021

The course was very interesting and well done! I have learned so many things, truly recommend it !

By Meghan R

Jul 29, 2020

Very thorough class and well organized to bring attention to many inequalities in our culture.

By Scott S

Aug 3, 2020

Truly broadened my knowledge of the implicit bias and systemic racism in our country.

By Antwan R

Aug 21, 2020

A very informative course that is relevant to past and current race related issues!

By Holly G

Aug 3, 2020

Great course! Really eye opening on how the United States got to where it is today.

By Elliott W

Nov 16, 2020

Excellent course. I learned a lot! Kudos and accolades to Professor Anderson!

By Stephanie I

Jul 10, 2020

Excellent course. Just what I was looking for. This was time very well spent.

By Kirstie J

Jul 6, 2020

Very informative, both allowing for personal growth and creative thought.

By Maureen R

Jul 30, 2020

Very informative and great opportunity to reflect on race in America.

By Kim H

Aug 4, 2020

Excellent. I appreciate the thoughtful and accessible information.