Back to Science & Religion 101

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Science & Religion 101 by University of Alberta

This course examines the nature of both science and religion and attempts to explore the possible relationships between them. The primary purpose is to dispel the popular myth that science and religion are entrenched in a never-ending conflict. As a result, this course argues that if the limits of both science and religion are respected, then their relationship can be complementary. Topics include: Science and Religion Categories and Foundational Principles, Definitions of Science and Religion, Science-Religion Models and Relationships, Intelligent Design and Natural Revelation, the Galileo Affair, Geology and Noah’s Flood, Evolution and Darwin’s Religious Beliefs, the Modern “Evolution” vs. “Creation” Debate, the Problem of Evil, and Interpretations of the Biblical Accounts of Origins in Genesis 1-11. The course employs a Constructive Teaching Style in order that students can develop their personal views on the relationship between science and religion and on each of the topics listed above. St. Joseph's College is a Catholic, undergraduate, liberal arts college on the University of Alberta campus. It is an independent institution that is affiliated with the University of Alberta. Denis O. Lamoureux is Professor of Science and Religion at St. Joseph's College in the University of Alberta. He is the author of Evolutionary Creation: A Christian Approach to Evolution (2008), Evolution: Scripture and Nature Say Yes! (2016), and The Bible & Ancient Science: Principles of Interpretation (2020). Lamoureux is a Research Associate in Paleontology and has contributed to a dozen scientific papers. He is cited in the Who’s Who of Theology and Science and has delivered over 600 lectures throughout the United States and Canada. Lamoureux holds three earned doctoral degrees—dentistry, theology, and biology....

DJ
Nov 24, 2017

This course has many insights that can help one integrate one's faith and one's science. I recommend it highly. The teacher put in a massive amount of work in this project and it shows.

CR
Dec 10, 2017

A must-take course for anyone interested in the interface between science and religion. It provides useful foundations that would take a lot of time and reading to arrive at otherwise.

1 - 25 of 36 Reviews for Science & Religion 101

By Alvaro S

It was a very interesting and useful course. Dennis is an expert in science and religion. He shares his knowledge and experience with mastery. As Christians we need to learn more about the scientific view of origins of earth and life, in order to keep a healthy relationship with modern science. Science and Religion 101 is a course 100% recommendable.

By Stefanie L

Feb 9, 2019

Amazing information offered, more than what I could ask for at NO cost. Well instructed course with a wealth of knowledge to attain.

By CHAN W F P

Apr 9, 2021

I think religion is not only Christianity. Hinduism, Egypt, Chinese or Assyrian ancient beliefs included would be benefit to other ethnic groups.

By Antonia T B

Sep 17, 2020

This course is very biased. It should be called Religion & Religion (or, even better, Christianity and Christianity). I must say I'm quite disappointed about this course. Although some lectures are interesting, I find that the whole course tries to justify religion and to "show" how atheist "doubt" and how "open" Christianity is (which is quite laughable actually). There is no criticism whatsoever about rigid beliefs, dogmas, intolerance and fanaticism, the many wars and all the blood brought by the religious institutions, and I found that really sad.

I guess we'll have to wait another 300 years to start living in a world without fairy tales, Unicorns, and gods. I understand that religion helps humans to confront the terror of death or, as Viktor Frankl argues, to find a meaning (a supra-meaning) beyond this word in all the human suffering. But, as Hume, Freud & Russell said, religion is a product of our education and our own fears, and the fact that this course tries to present Christianity almost at the same level as Philosophy is quite disappointing, in my opinion. Many greetings from Madrid. Stay safe / Antonia

By mubarak s

Apr 7, 2018

Dear Sir

With all due respect,I am writing to inform you unfortunately I couldn't complete this course, because on that time I was in Detention centre.i was not feeling good,I have been detained for more than 3 years that's why everyday I became more frustrated and hopeless.even I tried to continue this course but again whatever I read I couldn't get it.3 weeks ago I have been released from Detention centre.now I am able to continue this course.

Dear sir please help me to join again .

Thanks.

Mubarak shah.

By Sharon B -

Jan 30, 2021

Found it difficult to keep a steady faith, and always bothered by the conflicts. Never finding clergy or bible studies helpful. I just wanted the easy path, “ the Bible is a simple book of moral direction love Gods love your neighbour. I still see these two things as the basic way to please God. I now can join this together and get rid of doubt. Great course most enlightening and faith strengthening. Thank you. Sharon Buffam Sheppard

By Jorge F

Feb 19, 2019

I must say that I've got much more than I expected from this course. I've learned so many new things that I can barely hold my excitment. It doesn't really matter if you agree with everything it was said in this course, but the real important thing is that thanks to this information I've expanded my range of knowledge and has given me a new platform from where I can reach new heights. I totally recommend taking this course.

By Michaela K

Sep 13, 2018

I would like to sincerely thank the lectures. This course was very interesting and I gained a lot of valuable knowledge from that time. I am now thinking so much about religion.

Which I liked so much the clear, clean spocken English so it was easy to follow..

With kind regards Michaela Kirsch

By Rawan S

Jun 20, 2021

An Excellent Course from Dr.Denis,Every one who is interested on the topic of science and religion should take this cousre.This course and the cousre of Dr.Lowrance Principe in great courses with the same name will give you a Very good Idea about this interesting topic.

By Nathanael A D S M

Jan 30, 2021

This was an outstanding course on Science & Religion, i have studied creation and evolution materials for Theology, but this course was brilliant in details on the facts of Science and Religion.

Well Done to the Teacher, great job!

By Emma M

Aug 15, 2020

Super fun and insightful! This course helped me develop my views on science and religion. It offered many opportunities to present different views and challenge beliefs so that you can draw your own conclusions.

By Carlos M

Sep 24, 2020

Wonderful tool to keep learning about science and christian faith, this course help me to improve my knoledge about this topic. I'm studying a MA in Science and Faith in my country. Thank you PhD Lamoureux

By Donald J

Nov 25, 2017

By Charles-Alexandre R

Dec 11, 2017

By Diego S D

Mar 19, 2021

A wonderful experience. I am tired to read scientific books and watch tv programs that nurture warfare between science and religion. This course is an intellectual relief.

By Pizarro P L E

Mar 6, 2021

Excellent course. One of the best I have ever done. Thank you Dr Lamoureux.

By Shubham M A

Learned about religion and science and how one depends on other.

By Charles E M

May 6, 2018

Great and interesting course for the theologian, philosopher,

By Eduardo J M S

Feb 1, 2019

A good study approach in exegesis, theology and science.

By John T R

Mar 22, 2021

I found the course very interesting and challenging

By JOHN Q

Oct 15, 2017

Interesting and fun course. Thanks so much!

By Ana R P

Sep 2, 2018

The course is very interesting, Ana Pelayo.

By Shirley K

Jul 4, 2020

great course really makes you think

By Prashant S S

May 2, 2019

Very nice and informative course

By FRANK A