Back to Script Writing: Write a Pilot Episode for a TV or Web Series (Project-Centered Course)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Script Writing: Write a Pilot Episode for a TV or Web Series (Project-Centered Course) by Michigan State University

4.4

What you’ll achieve: In this project-centered course*, you will design a series bible and write a complete pilot episode for your own unique television or web series, be it drama or comedy or something in between. You’ll learn to break down the creative process into components, and you’ll discover a structured process that allows you to produce a polished and pitch-ready script in just a few weeks. Completing this project will increase your confidence in your ideas and abilities, and you’ll feel prepared to pitch your first script and get started on your next. This is a course designed to tap into your creativity and is based in "Active Learning". Most of the actual learning takes place within your own activities - that is, writing! You will learn by doing. "Thank you so much for your direct way of teaching this course. It was encouraging for us all to creatively flow and find our own voice in writing and developing our scripts. This aspect was very important to me." Ingrid The course curriculum is simple: you’ll write, revise your work, and share feedback with your peers. I am a proponent of Experiential Learning (active learning). My lectures are short (sometimes just two minutes long) and to the point, designed in a step-by-step process essential to your success as a script writer. I will guide you but I won’t "show" you how to write. I firmly believe that the only way to become a writer is to write, write, write. “David's lecture style for this course is inspired. The videos are succinct and engaging. When I watch the lectures I feel David’s sincere desire for me to create something truly amazing. He is teaching us how to write a script, and he is providing wisdom and tools that will help us do so in a compelling way - by writing; not by watching him talk at us.” - A R Adamson What you’ll need to get started: To begin with, any basic word processor will do. During week two, you can choose to download some free scriptwriting software such as Celtx or Trelby or you may choose to purchase Final Draft, or you can continue to use your word processor and do your own script formatting. Learner Review: "I am in love with this course. Having never written a script before, or any substantive fiction since college (15 years ago) I had a small idea in my head that has now exploded into something I really believe in. David's guidance is spot on, he's his own compelling story teller, he gives you enough, and then you have to figure it out, make it happen, WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! " *About Project-Centered Courses: This is a ‘project-centered course’, which means it is designed specifically to help you complete a personally meaningful real-world project, with your instructor and a community of learners with similar goals providing guidance and suggestions along the way. By actively applying new concepts as you learn, you’ll master the course content more efficiently; you’ll also get a head start on using the skills you gain to make positive changes in your life and career. When you complete the course, you’ll have a finished project that you’ll be proud to use and share. Time: 1-2 hours of study, 30+ hours of active project work...

AA

Jun 14, 2016

David Wheeler is awesome, and I love this course! I am so glad that Coursera and Michigan State University have partnered to offer this course to those of us who have a thirst for learning! Thank you!

JF

Sep 28, 2016

Fantastic course, loved the way it walked you step by step through the process and the formatting. This course could have been ten weeks and still wouldn't be enough. Awesome hands on learning.

76 - 100 of 157 Reviews for Script Writing: Write a Pilot Episode for a TV or Web Series (Project-Centered Course)

By Alesha R A

Feb 24, 2016

I am in love with this course. Having never written a script before, or any substantive fiction since college (15 years ago) I had a small idea in my head that has now exploded into something I really believe in. David's guidance is spot on, he's his on compelling story teller, he give you enough, and then you have to figure it out, make it happen, WRITE! WRITE! WRITE!

By meisam e

Jan 01, 2017

I Loved Dr. David Wheeler's method. I will enroll in his course/courses over and over again since I want to learn more.

By Tabinda H

Oct 19, 2017

This was one of the best experiences I ever had. It was truly amazing to see my script come together bit by bit, with every piece a story in itself. I would highly recommend this course to everyone out there who loves to write. It just gives you so much satisfaction.

Dec 27, 2016

I really enjoy screenwriting and this course has not only gave me some interesting points but also, help me develop my own tv show idea and start writing it. It's really good so far!

By Peter P

Sep 25, 2016

I enjoyed this class. It is very open and organic. Creativity is encouraged and very few restrictions and rules are imposed. I found the class to be well-taught and I looked forward to participating in every week of class.

By Cátia G

Jan 12, 2017

This course was a really good surprise. A nice way to end 2016 and start 2017. I was scared cause of language, once I'm not a native speaker, so that was an extra challenge for me. But everyone here helped. The mentor was great and always ready to help, the peers were nice and always giving tips of how I could improve the script and now I don't look to Celtx program like a seven heads monsters, anymore. Actually, it is really easy to work on it. I'm really glad I did this course.

By Meghan L

May 15, 2018

This course is not for the faint of heart in that unlike some other online courses, you will be expected to write... a lot. And participate... A LOT. And while it's work, there is a ton of satisfaction to be had from writing your own completed script and getting the feedback of your classmates. It's been a great learning experience overall and highly recommend it to anyone motivated or interested in this subject!

By Aimee j

Nov 13, 2016

I am SO glad I found this course online!

By Wendy M

May 30, 2017

I learned a great deal and while the pace of the course was tough, it got me into a good writing routine. Thank you!!

By Наталія П

Jan 08, 2017

I was surprised that we don't suppose to learn about writing scripts. Because the best way to learn is to write the script. It wasn't easy for me as not a native speaker. But I finished it! I recommend this course! Jan is the best mentor! Thank you very much!

By Maria T

Jan 11, 2017

Amazing course. Without useless talking, we are immediately thrown into action, and start working immediately. This course helped me gain priceless empiric experience, and finally start writing.

By Ellie

Jul 24, 2017

I really enjoyed the course and feel I have learned a lot that I can use in the futtur

By Dylan M

Aug 21, 2017

Had a lot of fun and learned a lot!

By Patrick M

Jun 28, 2018

This is a hands-on course. We can keep reading and studying writing books until we are blue in the face. But eventually writers have to write. It is a heavy schedule but once you have done it - you prove to yourself - that you can do it. No time to procrastinate on this one. I like the professor's style - he doesn't pussy foot around - he tells it as it is - just do it. I got so much out of this I ended up paying for it - it was well worth it. Having work reviewed by other students is excellent - you get a mixed bag of reviews - just like the reviews of your TV Series. The course is not live - although a course mentor answers questions posted to the discussion forums. The construction of the training has been well thought out - there area few areas when it could improve - but overall - it was a great experience.

By Denzel O

Jul 14, 2017

The idea for peer review is great because we're all students of this course and so we can learn from each other while being inspired. David Wheeler's methods work because they don't only teach, they encourage. And there's a lot to do to keep your mind busy through assignments. And anybody from everywhere in the world can start from no knowledge of script writing to full understanding. Great. 5 stars. Thank you.

By Deepanjan P

Apr 20, 2017

A great course to wake yourself up and get running in the world of script writing. I recommend this course to every individual who is ready to work and earn rather than just buying a online certificate. Finally David sir small but powerful video sessions are excellent. Do not go by the length of the videos. They are absolutely to the point.

By Chris M

Oct 25, 2018

Not only was the content helpful and interesting, the process and structure of the programme was also very stimulating.

By Krystal W

Oct 27, 2018

The direction and guidance offered in this course has improved my writing structure significantly. The course was successful in teaching professional screenwriting techniques and has encouraged me to be creative and to explore various avenues to establish my voice. Also, the feedback I received from my peers were all lovely and helpful critiques that I will reflect on when reviewing my script and when writing new ones.

Thank You!

By Dimitri

Nov 19, 2018

Excellent course. The lectures are very short and to the point but they provide enough for you to start doing the most important thing of all - getting an idea down to paper and writing and writing and writing. The course does require a significant investment of time and energy - but if you provide that, you are the ultimate beneficiary as this is very much learning by doing. The peer feedback system provides and interesting opportunity to see what other members of the class are doing but unfortunately most peers do not provide much quality feedback on the work you submit. Having said that, I requested feedback from one of the course mentors and I was blown away by the depth and quality of the feedback that he provided on my final submission. This was my first Coursera course and I feel very happy with the final outcome.

By Allison M

Nov 22, 2018

I had a wonderful time completing this course. This was my first time writing a script and I learned so much along the process, especially by getting reviews from my peers. Having assignments week by week also made it better since I was committed to finish before due date. However, there were occasions when I couldn't finish on time so I resubmitted and then waited to be graded. I feel incredibly happy to have learned so many important aspects about writing a script and even happier to be a writer.

By Nicholas N

Oct 10, 2018

This course will teach you the proper way to create a three act- screenplay. I loved it.

By Ellen H

Oct 03, 2018

This is a tough course but what makes it simple is how the instructor breaks everything down little by little. I love that I can re-watch the videos. That helps a lot. Feedback is real.

By Tanmay A

Sep 15, 2018

Very useful course!

By Charlotte P

Oct 04, 2018

This class has motivated me to write the pilot of a story that I had in mind for a couple of weeks and I love it. Compared to other online classes, I love that we have feedback from other classmates. However, I would have liked the teacher to tell us more information on how to write a good script.