Back to How to Get Skilled: Introduction to Individual Skills Management (Project-Centered Course)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for How to Get Skilled: Introduction to Individual Skills Management (Project-Centered Course) by The State University of New York

3.8

Do you want to gain a competitive edge on the job market? Would you like to improve the way that you organize, manage, and present your skills to succeed in a competency-based, competitive job selection? Have you prepared to compete for jobs in the age of AI-powered recruiting? This project-centered course* is designed for working professionals who want to direct their skill-building activities towards creating powerful, evidence-based, data-driven, and externally-verified job applications. When you complete the course, you’ll be able to objectively measure your level of skills acquisition against your desired job’s requirements and the likely competition. You’ll learn how to use experiential methods and tools, such as simulations, benchmarking, competency dashboards, and skills assessment to operationalize and quantify your skills. You will know how to realistically estimate your likely score in the competitive job selection; you will also find out how much of each skill you need to develop to stand out and beat the competition. In addition to improving your job applications, the course will teach you how to increase the effectiveness of your ongoing professional development by monitoring the level of skills acquisition. The course will provide you with tangible outcomes for immediate use. We’ll show you how to use a simple, powerful computer program to organize and manage your skills inventory. Your completed project will focus on your desired job and will include three components: 1) a Skillset Summary Checklist; 2) a Selection Criteria Statement; and 3) a Professional Development Plan. Upon completion of the course, you will be able to use the results of the project to strengthen your next job application (or promotion request). You’ll be able to use the same technique to direct your skill-building activities and continuously monitor their effectiveness. What is required: In the course, we’ll provide videos, readings, and learning activities. There is an optional course companion book available for purchase on Amazon.com. To download the course software, “J.A.F.A.R, Skills Manager Pro (TM)”, you will need to access the course companion website at https://www.skillsmanager.pro. The software is a copyrighted Excel spreadsheet template; for course participants, it is provided free of charge (for personal, non-commercial use only). To use the software, you will need to have a basic level of proficiency and a licensed copy of MS Excel. *About Project-Centered Courses: Project-centered courses are designed to help you complete a personally meaningful real-world project, with your instructor and a community of like-minded supportive learners with similar goals providing guidance and suggestions along the way. By actively applying new concepts as you learn, you’ll master the course content more efficiently; you’ll also get a head start on using the skills you gain to make positive changes in your life and career. When you complete the course, you’ll have a finished project that you’ll be proud to use and share....

GP

Dec 2, 2020

The techniques taught in this course for skills management are very useful for personal and career development in this day and age. Thank you SUNY and Coursera. I have learned a lot from this course.

ST

May 28, 2021

This is an eye opening course to objectively evaluate my skills and see if I'm ready for a promotion/new job. It's also helped me to create a career plan in improving my skills.

51 - 75 of 75 Reviews for How to Get Skilled: Introduction to Individual Skills Management (Project-Centered Course)

By Egor S

Sep 13, 2020

Can't come through the very first test - no hints or corrections for mistakes given, when must have 90% of 10 questions to pass! It's not a lottery, it is a studying course.. With big interest to the topic and love to all available videos, this hindrance as a unbeatable test stays on the way to obtain certificate. Sad, but I have to leave the course. Maybe, after someone fixing that, I'll be glad to come back. Thank you.

By Ritik s

May 28, 2021

first of all if you are a college student this course in not for you course is very difficult and promotes their own tools i recommend you to not take this course and most importantly I wasted a lot of time here i learned a bit also but no certificate so it is just okay and deserves 3 rating out of 5

By Micmacher

Aug 3, 2020

Very interesting to get a better knowledge about our skills management but all the tests and JAFAR have to be improve. No feedback at all

By Jonathan S

Jun 13, 2020

Caution! Are you in the matrix? If so, then this course might suit you.

By Roman B

started good, but retells very often the same/similar principle

May 9, 2020

Very bad lecture...and their quiz is horrible...

By Rahul R

Apr 17, 2020

Highly irrelevant to the skills in need. This is more of a personal skills development than a professional one.

By Miriam Z

Jul 13, 2020

Instructors are unresponsive

By ARTHANARISWARAN R

May 6, 2020

well

By Riya S

Jun 15, 2020

kindly unenrol this course of mine ASAP, because I never used excel in my whole life and it's going to be very difficult for me to try even. The teachers haven't explained properly. Sorry I can't do this course. please unenrol it for me.

By Jonathan N C K

Jul 3, 2020

Absence of feedback for assessments makes revision and improvement harder. Some question topics were not covered in the lecture videos.

By Jawad U Z

Aug 18, 2020

Can't see my submitted quiz feedback only shows my percentage.And the coursework is vague sometimes doesn't fit in the queue properly.

By M A R

Jul 8, 2021

BBad course I've ever done.This course is terrible, I will suggestedsuggest y friend not to do it,

By irfanul k

Oct 5, 2020

Useless service i couldnt attend my quiz fpr their system fault.just wasting my time

By J B C

Jun 5, 2021

really disappointed and even after answering it doesnt show our feedback

By melissa p

Jul 13, 2021

I am unable o proceed to he next video in order to finish this course.

By Utkarsh K S

Jul 5, 2021

Irritating!! I don't even want to give a single star but I have to :(

By Benedict m v

May 31, 2021

Very poor I can't even check my I answers after the examss?

By Teena S

Aug 17, 2021

Quiz ratings have technical error

By Shubham P B

Jun 3, 2020

No one responding in this course

By Gabrielle C

Sep 27, 2021

w​hy can i not disenroll?

By Aravind T