Back to Gender, Family, and Social Change in Contemporary South Korea

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Gender, Family, and Social Change in Contemporary South Korea by Yonsei University

This course examines the transformation of Korean society beginning around the turn of the 20th century to contemporary times. In particular, it explores how shifting categories of masculinity, and by contrast, femininity have impacted upon, and in turn been influenced by social, cultural, and political change. Using multiple disciplinary lenses, we will critically examine how gender intersects with political, social, and economic developments starting with the Confucianization of Korean society during the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910) up to the contemporary moment of globalization and neoliberal reform. The class will draw on a variety of topics such as traditional views of women, religion, race, class, education, patriarchy, sexuality, imperialism, modernity, war, globalization, the diaspora, among others. Special attention will be placed on the historical, transnational and transdisciplinary connections....

CB
Feb 20, 2018

Excellent course. I strongly recommend it for anyone interested in Korean culture. I took it because I am writing about KPOP and sexuality but I learnt much more and am really glad I did it.

NS
Aug 10, 2020

thank you so much for taking the course in a well organized way and in clear detail. i wanted to know more about the culture of s korea and it was dealt in depth by the mentors. thank you.

26 - 47 of 47 Reviews for Gender, Family, and Social Change in Contemporary South Korea

By Thainá R

Dec 24, 2017

This is a very great course I'd like to recommend to everyone who is interested about Korea society.

By Seonghyun P

Apr 4, 2019

A great overview of current issues that South Korea and its people have to deal with.

By Camila F C S

Oct 16, 2020

An amazing course! I wanna know more about the Korea culture and society

By Karen Q

Oct 4, 2018

A good history and issues surrounding gender in Korea.

By Eva W

Feb 3, 2019

A lot of work but 100% worth it.

By narmin j

Mar 25, 2020

Amazing!

By Elena S

Feb 27, 2021

I truly enjoyed the course and really appreciate the efforts its designers put into their work. As a fellow professor I can relate how difficult it ir to make your course both informative and entertaining, challenging and efficient. I do believe Professors Hyun Mee Kin and Yoo Theodore Yun did their best to achieve the above-mentioned aims. Wishing to give credit where credit is due, I would particularly emphasize the variety of sources presented and recommended as studying materials, multifarious and original assignments and a broad range of topics covered. The only reason I don't give this course the highest rating is because, unfortunately, some materials (especially those taken from mass media) date 2015-2016 and urgently need updating! In addition, some of the links do not work, which might make less motivated students easily give up without trying to find the necessary source on their own. Otherwise, I find the course really inspiring and enlightening and wish everyone involved in its development all the best in creating more online courses and spreading the word globally!

By Kanta P

May 9, 2020

Although I really like the course, its contents, how it is structured and, most of all, the reading materials, the peer review system and discussions that often are not very engaging draw me back a bit. Still, if you are interested in this porticular topic of South Korea, this course is worth taking.

By Jessica R

Mar 18, 2018

It was an interesting course. I've learned lots of new contents and information related to Korean society, and delved into some other topics, which were more familiar.

Texts, articles, and videos suggested are engaging, and fundamental in order to better understand the subjects.

By Lydia C H

Oct 6, 2019

I really like this course. It does show a point of view I wasn't expecting to learn about Korea and it really opened my mind and eyes a bit. It is a really well-taught class and I am enjoying it!

By Michael R

Jun 14, 2017

This course was very interactive, and it provided lots of resources on the side as well. It was challenging and allowed interaction with other learners as well. Thank you for this course.

By Noelia C

Curso muy interesante pero obsoleto en cuanto a información se refiere. Los datos son de hace 4 años y un país.puede cambiar mucho en ese periodo de tiempo.

By Gainor T

Nov 23, 2020

For a five-week course, the coverage was good. Learning about the history behind the status of women in South Korea was enlightening.

By Sevde O

Oct 29, 2020

I really benefit from this course. Thank you for everything. I recommend you to take it!

By Jonathan H

May 18, 2017

Very interesting course, could be improved by some work on the subtitling.

By Valeria C R N

Nov 19, 2017

I would put 5 stars because it's amazing but too short :'(

By Nimasi S P

Oct 14, 2020

By Joy S

Aug 28, 2017

Good overview of how things stand in South Korea. Slightly hard to understand as it is taught by Koreans with Korean accents.

By Burcu F

Oct 20, 2019

Unfortunately I couldn't get what I expected from this course. The videos were not enthusiastic, mostly based on info-graphs and pie charts. Quizzes were mostly based on parrot-fashion.