Back to Soul Beliefs: Causes and Consequences - Unit 1: Historical Foundations

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Soul Beliefs: Causes and Consequences - Unit 1: Historical Foundations by Rutgers the State University of New Jersey

Throughout history, the vast majority of people around the globe have believed they have, however defined, a “soul.” While the question of whether the soul exists cannot be answered by science, what we can study are the causes and consequences of various beliefs about the soul and its prospects of surviving the death of the body. Why are soul and afterlife beliefs so common in human history? Are there adaptive advantages to assuming souls exist? Are there brain structures that have been shaped by environmental pressures that provide the foundation of body/mind dualism that is such a prominent feature of many religions? How do these beliefs shape the worldviews of different cultures and our collective lives? What is the role of competing afterlife beliefs in religion, science, politics, and war? This course explores several facets of this relatively unexplored but profoundly important aspect of human thought and behavior. The course consists mainly of 70 to 80 minute lectures, typically broken up into 3 segments, recorded from a course offered by Rutgers University School of Arts and Sciences. These videos include slides and some embedded video clips. Most lectures are accompanied by slides used during the lecture, also including recommended reading assignment which may provide additional opportunities to reflect on your studies. Due to the lengthiness of this class and natural progression, the online course has been separated into 3 units, this is Unit 1....

MS

Sep 22, 2017

Brilliant course, brilliant lecturers, brilliant topic, extremely well thought-out approach to such a mind-blowing topic. I highly recommend it to anyone with even the vaguest interest in the topic.

AM

Aug 22, 2015

I just started with this course and I am loving it! This not only offers a very fresh perspective on beliefs about souls and an afterlife but is also extremely relatable on a personal level.

1 - 25 of 98 Reviews for Soul Beliefs: Causes and Consequences - Unit 1: Historical Foundations

By ZAHABIYA A A

Jan 12, 2019

KNOWLEDGEABLE COURSE.. LOVE IT

By Rosalee C

Sep 01, 2016

This is an eye opening course. However I'm not willing to give up my belief in my Catholic faith.

By Susan H

May 18, 2017

Great course! Awesome lectures from both professors. So glad there are courses like this out there to open our minds and broaden our perspectives.

By Parthsarthi D

Jan 31, 2018

Extraordinary course on Soul Belief, covering physical to metaphysical view from brain to mind and beyond. It was so interesting that I could not stop going through it and finished all course material in few days. Thanks a million for having this course.

By Leticia M

Mar 05, 2018

Amazing course

By beatrice f

Jan 03, 2017

Great course, also very good example for interdisciplinary communication to solve some of the riddles

we call existence/life

By Dawnene H

Jan 25, 2018

This course was amazing. I loved the classroom teachings with both professors. This is the sort of course that makes your shake out the dust of your brain and really stop and consider WHY you believe what you believe and then decide for yourself IF you still believe in the same manners whenever you complete the course. I am not easily swayed and this course completely made me do a 360 and rethink my "Soul" beliefs. Bravo!

By Anne M

Mar 19, 2017

Fascinating!!!

By Dennis S

Sep 10, 2016

I found the lectures and reading material very interesting. The professors were very good at explaining complex material and it served to tie together some loose ends regarding various religions that I had been struggling with. As a retiree, I was not interested in receiving a certificate so I didn't take the tests or do the peer reviews though. I was only interested in hearing the lectures.

By Emily N

Jun 23, 2017

very interesting.

By Camila B

Nov 20, 2016

Excellent course, taught by absolutely amazing and intellectually stimulating professors.

By D.Scott V

Jul 06, 2017

Should be considered standard for all first year college students. A great course! Many thanks!

By Carlos D

Feb 09, 2016

I found it really amazing... i wish i could have been present in the classroom :)

By Roberto R

everybody have to do it

By Arve F

Jun 11, 2017

Very interesting.

By REBECCA G

Jan 24, 2016

This is a great course. Profs have an interesting way of getting info to us.

By Khaled A A

Dec 18, 2016

This is a truly unique course, covering an essential but largely neglected part of human nature and history.

By Tarey L K

Aug 29, 2015

Fascinating, informative, thought provoking, makes you think. What more could you ask for from a Course? The Professors are wonderful. I'm so glad I choose to take this Course.

By Alexey K

Aug 26, 2016

A introduction into the history of beliefs. It was kind of frustrating the way Buddhism was covered.

By Alejandro P

Aug 14, 2015

I loved the presentation of this course, as someone interested in what distinguishes us from other animals and the mechanisms that underlie our senses of self. Some of the material, I was already familiar with because of other books on anthropology and evolution, but appreciated nevertheless how it was related to the beliefs in the soul and our psychological survival.

By Luis L

Sep 17, 2015

Very good, thanks

By Bruce M

Sep 17, 2015

Thank you for the opportunity to have a better life through many understandings found in the Rutgers State University course Soul Beliefs: Causes and Consequences. The information was refreshing, enlightening and cut to the quick on many questions I had about soul beliefs.

By Andrea H

Aug 14, 2015

I´m really enjoying it! and I think is very important and trascendental for our societies to start developing this kind of courses based on reflecting about the religion.

By Jeremiah J

Nov 18, 2015

Wonderful course, very interesting and thought provoking.