Back to Capstone: Your Story

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Capstone: Your Story by Wesleyan University

Everything comes together in the Capstone. You will draft a complete story, narrative essay, or memoir of 8–15 pages. With the advice of your peer readers, you will revise, rewrite, and complete it. The skills you’ve learned of plotting, setting, physical description, characterization, and stylistic clarity and innovation will culminate in an original work of art all your own. We’ll discuss the steps that professional writers take to bring their work into the public world. Along the way you’ll learn the patient habits of revision that make up the writer’s life....

TB
May 8, 2020

I got so, so much out of this! It's not only helped me with my own writing, but it's helped me with being able to be a better editor, also. Enjoyed being able to read other writers' works, as well.

AM
Oct 24, 2018

It was challenging and inspiring, one of the best courses I have taken. I took my writing to new places and learned quite a lot : ) Thank you so much for the opportunity and platform for learning.

76 - 100 of 124 Reviews for Capstone: Your Story

By Bheki L

Oct 6, 2020

Excellent Course. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

By Paulo S

Jan 8, 2018

Very challenging exercise. Good contents.

By Travis W C

Nov 21, 2017

This was a great learning experience!

By David L

Oct 1, 2016

I've learnt a lot ! Excellent course!

By Ryan O

Jun 7, 2017

This was a very valuable experience.

By Amanda K

Jun 1, 2017

Excellent course and specialization!

By Alexey F

Aug 30, 2017

Thoroughly enjoyed every bit of it.

By Salvatore P

Dec 22, 2016

A great process for any writer.

By Raul N C G

Aug 9, 2020

Loved IT!

By Bui L P L ( H

Jun 21, 2021

good

By Daniela

Oct 28, 2020

This whole specialization is really good and helpful for anyone who need help with their writing skills. I will give it 4stars for two reasons. First I think it would really good to have a segment to help with how to construct a dialogue, it's a point where i struggled a lot and some of the peer reviews mentioned it too. Second, and I know is not easy to monitor this, the peer review system sometimes is a let down. Especially when I reached the capstone project I needed those review more than even and found most of the time with simple "good" or "ok" , which was infuriating giving all the effort I put in my project and in giving others constructive reviews. A different way to work on peer reviews of the capstone would be ideal but again, I understand is not something easily done.

I will recommend this course to anyone who wants to start writing!

By Freddie d M

Aug 18, 2020

All the lecture's were great as with the rest of the modules. The one area that it does suffer a bit is in the peer reviews. I expected that because it required completion of the other 4 specialisations that it would have people who were mostly motivated but it was all too common to get responses on my work that wasa a simple 'good' or perhaps that in a few more words. I ended up resubmiting a lot of my work because I would only get 1 of 3 responses with any useful feedback. Being able to rate peoples feedback would be really great and might encourage people to dig a bit deeper. It's incredibly frustrating to spend 30 mins giving a detailed reply explaining all of the issues and good things in someone elses work to recieve something that scarcely took two seconds of thought.

By Brian C

Mar 4, 2018

I loved this course! The lectures were magnificent as were the interviews with visiting authors. A 20 minute view into a class at work parsing a mate's story was particularly interesting. My own experience with the reviews by my peers was quite the opposite. From the seven lines one wrote, it was clear that she had not read my story or had not read it carefully. Another copied and pasted most of my story in the comments section and added shallow praise at the end. That was not a problem. We were all directed to seek outside reviews and that is what I did with most noting the improvement in my writing. This class was a fine ending to the course of study and the professor was wonderful.

By Fred R

May 4, 2018

I enjoyed the whole specialization. Capstone was a way to put it in motion. I guess I miss teacher's presence but also writer is a solitary job. I had the sensation many of the students never wrote a text before. I think it's a very good training camp for writers but maybe not so good for absolute beginner writers. But I enjoyed it a lot. I would like to know what are the next steps you propose in your mail giving me the good news. Thanks anyhow. It bettered my writing even in latine language such as French or Spanish.

By Elisabeth S

All the videos, the tips for improving one's writing, and the assignments are well thought out and very useful. The course is a challenge and very rewarding. The structure is a little bit different to the previous courses, so that took some getting used to, but the reviews also feel more well thought out than previously. Apart form the fact that there are one or two timing/technical glitches, the course is great. Definitely a challenge, also, and you can tell that the makers of the course are really dedicated.

By Jeffrey W

Apr 18, 2021

The information is valuable and gives great insight on how to make your writing the best it can be. Regrettably, the feedback received in the peer reviews leaves much to be desired. It is quite clear there are many learners that are not taking the course seriously. Feedback is often a single word or punctuation mark. It would be a good idea if there was a minimum character requirement to ensure actual feedback is provided.

By Lavaniya D

Jun 4, 2020

This was a great way to finish the specialisation. However the course is not well structures. The tutorials about critique come the week after you submit your first draft and must critique others' work. I would not do this purely for peer reviews. The problem is that people know what they like. As adults we look for the genres we favour so it is unfair to expect someone who doesn't read your genre to give good advice.