Back to Capstone: Your Story

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Capstone: Your Story by Wesleyan University

Everything comes together in the Capstone. You will draft a complete story, narrative essay, or memoir of 8–15 pages. With the advice of your peer readers, you will revise, rewrite, and complete it. The skills you’ve learned of plotting, setting, physical description, characterization, and stylistic clarity and innovation will culminate in an original work of art all your own. We’ll discuss the steps that professional writers take to bring their work into the public world. Along the way you’ll learn the patient habits of revision that make up the writer’s life....

TB
May 8, 2020

I got so, so much out of this! It's not only helped me with my own writing, but it's helped me with being able to be a better editor, also. Enjoyed being able to read other writers' works, as well.

AM
Oct 24, 2018

It was challenging and inspiring, one of the best courses I have taken. I took my writing to new places and learned quite a lot : ) Thank you so much for the opportunity and platform for learning.

101 - 123 of 123 Reviews for Capstone: Your Story

By Philip W

Sep 29, 2016

The only reason this excellent course does not have five stars is because of the technical issues that are the responsibility of Coursera and the failure of some of the peers to write peer reviews according to the instructions. I heartily recommend this course to anyone seeking to kick start, revive, or tune up serious writing.

By Maria-Isabel C

Feb 11, 2021

This is the final course of the Creative Writing set of courses I surely have enjoyed. I really recommend it to anyone who likes to write and wish to become a writer. I have learned so much and enjoyed the time with the instructors. I just want to thank the Coursera community for this great opportunity this means to me.

By Russell D

Mar 16, 2017

I enjoyed the course very much. The critiques were the most important part and that is where this course fell down. I only received two instead of the expected three critiques for the sanding and final critique assignments.

By Ian B

Aug 31, 2017

Good opportunity to keep writing and get feedback. The only drawback is the quality of reviews you get on this site- everyone wants to BE reviewed, no one wants to do the reviewing!

By Chris D

Jun 5, 2020

The assignments are varied and helpful. The feedback less so. And the IT department needs to re-tool how the feedback system works. Too many issues, too many problems.

By Daniel Y

Nov 17, 2020

The schedule was a bit confusing, but it didn't hinder my ability to complete my assignments.

By Julian M

Sep 6, 2017

You should do this program. :)

By Daniel C

Jul 24, 2017

Well done!

By Marie-Élise Z

Apr 26, 2021

The quality of the individual pieces submitted for peer review varied wildly. Those written by authors whose first language is not English were sometimes indecipherable. If an author is committed to writing in English, I think a suggestion should at least be made to have the story pre-reviewed by a native English speaker. The review process itself is flawed. It was unclear where one should post remarks, whether in the box on the grading panel or in the comments to the author. I didn't know whether the author would see my comments, so I ended up posting in both places. It would have been a big help and saved a lot of time if it had been possible to submit inline critique in the form of a word document or pdf document to be uploaded or directly on the page. The review process wasn't very helpful to me, because most of the time I didn't receive any critique of the content and elements we learned and no concrete suggestions for the improvement of my piece, only the grade.

I thought the videos were helpful on the whole. Live classes would be more helpful, though this would probably be a logistical nightmare and have to cost a lot more than the present format. As far as cost is concerned, for personal reasons, I kept having to postpone finishing up the Capstone project, so in the end I had to pay again, which didn't seem very fair. Why should my original payment expire? I'm fairly sure my being there in the background wasn't costing anybody much money. On the other hand, on my salary, paying an extra $79 dollars to get the certificate was quite steep for what I actually got out of it.

By Ernabel D

Nov 26, 2020

For those of us with dreams of writing a novel, the Creative Writing Specialization helps you get the ball rolling. The Wesleyan professors are very good, and each course is a good introduction to plot, character, scene and style. I have now joined a real-time creative writing workshop class. Because, as a professor myself, you do miss out on the in-person teaching that a asynchronous class can never give you. The discussion boards are not helpful, because most of the threads are students begging for reviews or are old. Also, Coursera needs to find a better way to encourage students to follow directions. (My professor pet peeve). We were tasked to write one-two page reviews of our classmate's work, and most times we only received one line. One student wrote, "Great." This isn't how you workshop. So, this is why I could only give the course 3 stars.

By Anna D

Jun 22, 2019

It had some very useful advice, and the people that I got to review my work had some useful things to say.

However, I had been in need of advice for an assignment and so I asked the discussion forum. Time passed and the assignment's due date was literally hours away, so in the end, I was forced to use my own devices. A day or so after I submitted my assignment I got a response. By that point, the advice was virtually useless, as feedback kindly informed what I had failed to notice -I lost points over that. This happened twice. Four, if you count the times when I received no response at all.

I understand that people are busy, but just as well for I course that I paid good money to use you would think that I'd receive better responses. They wouldn't have to be prompt, just before the due date.

By AS

Dec 27, 2020

The instructors are excellent, offering many helpful suggestions.. The assignments are thoughtful and encourage students to practice skills. However, since neither instructors or monitors review the assignments, students are dependent on fellow students for feedback on writing assignments. While some students make an honest effort to provide critical feedback, there are many who simply offer one word of critical feedback (or even less) in order to meet the requirements of the course without doing any work. Unfortunately, nobody is monitoring this behavior so everyone suffers. This is why I've offered only three stars. The certificates are worthless if not properly earned.

By Kristin L

Mar 5, 2017

I must say that the information on writing in the course was good, and the example of sanding, giving a critique etc. was very useful to me as a writer just putting her work into the world. I was extremely disappointed that after laboring through 3 long stories, only one formatted in the way the course specified, and trying to write at least one page of comments on each that what I got in return was on good critique and two that were only two lines long. I was on scholarship so I did not pay for the course but it was disappointing that there was no moderation of the peer review side of the homework.

By Joseph S

Feb 7, 2021

It would be a great idea to get feedback from the course creator on the final submission. One individual submitted something, which was only 5 pages for a 15-page story. It appeared it was a first draft being submitted over and over. I didn't want to be rude, but I couldn't give all 5's for something that didn't meet the course standards although I made my feedback positive. However, I'm left wondering if my story is worth of seeking to have it published or understanding if I should make it part of an anthology. It would be great to hear from the creator of the CAPSTONE. Thank you.

By B E

Feb 10, 2021

I was a little disappointed in this last course. At the very beginning you are given the impression you will have a decent sized final project. This is reemphasized when your first assignment is 15 pages, and the course is 8 weeks. They were a very lean 8 weeks and the final project ended up being only allowed 15 pages. Mine went to 21 and I got rude people who apparently don't like to read and are taking English classes on writing but don't have time to read others work, despite others reading theirs.

By Amanda K

Jun 13, 2021

The instructor videos and interviews were excellent. However, the critiques of other students is useless if they don't take the course seriously. Most of the time, the critiques I got were an "okay," "good," or just a letter, such as q, l, or k. If you're not going to bother to take this course seriously, don't take it.

By Lori Z

Aug 5, 2020

Other students provide minimal, to no, feedback that doesn't meet the requirements for feedback and there is no way to report this. It makes me feel like any work that is accomplished is more of a joke because of the people who skate through the course like this.

By Nada D

Sep 6, 2016

There are a lot of kinks to be worked out in this course. The teaching aspect of the Craft of Writing is in the four previous courses, this one is basically write a story, get reviews.

By Yvette H

Jan 17, 2018

With all due respect, this module felt like a case of the barely sighted leading the blind!

By Cristina D

Oct 1, 2020

The quality of this course does not match at all that of the previous courses (The Craft of Plot, of Character, etc). The information provided by instructors is repetitive and except for few exceptions, not really useful.

The fact that all the work is peer-evaluated is what makes this all an almost trivial exercise. Few fellow students take the task seriously enough. Sometimes the reviews are just "ok" or "..." which is not really helpful, especially if you are honestly invested in acquiring the new skill.

Some students enrol "en masse" and don't make serious submissions, either (they submit blank pages or lorem ipsum), hoping for their fellows to grade them well, even if they don't deserve it.

It's a shame, because all aspiring writers could really use good reviews as learning tools. It's not happening.

By Lee W

Dec 20, 2016

Sorry but the variable "peer" reviews ruined this course for me, I either did not get enough reviews or a "prankster" would down mark for whatever reason they had in their head at that particular moment. the staff don't seem interested in this a a problem. and there is no way to rate a bad reviewer so they get away with it.

the other courses in the specialisation are great, but this one gives very little in the way of tuition and relies on the whole on peers, which for me didn't work out too well

By Florence L

May 13, 2020

Some issues were noticed in the discussion and this not seems to have been fixed in May 2020. From the presentation I could undertsand that, unfortunately, this course is not what I was looking for. I was lookig for to the point advices about building an outline for example on week 1. Like some sessions we have had in PLOT and STYLE courses. Reviews are too much (see what people says in the discussions) and efficient guidance too less.

By Jared E