Back to Applying to U.S. Universities

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Applying to U.S. Universities by University of Pennsylvania

“It depends.” That is what you’ll hear when asking about the U.S. university admission process. With over 4,000 universities in the United States and no standard application system, the U.S. admission process can be confusing for everyone, but especially for students applying from other countries. This course will help international students (non-U.S. citizens) and non-native English speakers navigate the U.S. university admission process by offering practical information about the documents and pieces that make up a U.S. university application. More importantly, admission officers will discuss how they use those pieces to decide who is accepted and who is denied, so that you can understand the process beyond the pieces. By the end of this course, you will understand application basics that include researching schools, creating a school list, and establishing an application plan. This course will not answer all of your application questions, but it will teach you to ask the right questions of yourself and the universities. Ultimately, you will have all the information you need to start your process the right way, putting you on the path to acceptance. * Please note, while the English Language Programs are part of the University of Pennsylvania, this is not a course about applying to Penn. Furthermore, this course is intended for international students educated in the national curriculum of their country. While other students are welcome to enroll, the course is not intended for American students or students studying in an American, International Baccalaureate, or Advanced Placement curriculum. The course is also intended for students who do not have access to university counseling – if you attend a school that offers university counseling, your counselor is the best source of information on applying to university. Finally, this course is for undergraduate (Bachelors degree) freshmen (students who have not attended any university) applicants. Undergraduate transfer applicants, students who have attended a university, will find some of the information helpful, but graduate (Masters and Doctoral) applicants will not....

RR

Nov 10, 2015

Really helpful for International students. Heaped me right from college selection to submission of the application ( and getting selected). Thank You so much University of Pennsylvania...

Sep 09, 2015

Excellent free resource for anybody applying to US universities or trying to understand the admission process there. Thank you UPenn and Cousera.

1 - 25 of 99 Reviews for Applying to U.S. Universities

By Shrenik S

Sep 09, 2015

By saeed g

Feb 06, 2016

I found it very useful but about all information that lecturer gave, is about bachelor degree and nothing special said about upper grades.

By redha s

Nov 06, 2018

cool couse

By Jenny P

Aug 25, 2018

this course is very useful and helpful for applicant. a very good course.

By giorgi_law

Nov 02, 2015

one of the best and most practical courses I've seen on coursera

By Lloyd R P

Oct 11, 2017

One of the more comprehensive, detailed and plain-speak courses you will find and certainly the gold standard for this topic. Erick does a masterful job breaking down a complicated, multi-faceted subject into digestible, easily understood nuggets. It's a lot to take in yet when you finish, you will have a thorough understanding of how this all works and be able to use what you've learned immediately. This is not for the dabbler, that's for sure, but if you want the inside scoop as to how to apply to US colleges and universities effectively, efficiently and successfully, you've found it all right here.

By Rushil Y

Dec 19, 2015

Great Course. I would recommend it to everyone who is applying to US Universities.

By Мария Д

Jan 17, 2016

I really liked the course. I got answers on questions I had, also I understood a difference between transfer students and freshmen, so now I know what I should write on my application list. Also now I took Penn University into consideration for further application process.

By Michael X X

Nov 05, 2016

very useful!

By Hashem N

Feb 19, 2016

Full of opportunity in the land of Opportunities!

By ABHISHEK A D

Nov 10, 2015

Hello!

This course was very useful to me. I would like to thank my Instructor. I look forward to see some more courses.

Thank you.

By Dmitriy

Jan 03, 2016

I liked this very much.

By karan

Aug 25, 2015

Very helpful course to understand the way majority of universities work with respect to the admission department.

By 戴榕

Feb 24, 2017

超级棒!在我的申请上真的帮了很多,我是一个来自低收入家庭的孩子,所以没办法支付高昂的咨询费用,而这个课程教我怎么申请,让我也有机会开始打算自己的申请,真的特别棒。

By AMITAV R

Jan 08, 2017

Excellent! very tanks!

By LE L

May 17, 2016

a totally flash in mind about how to apply to U.S. universities. Thanks for share this treasure experience.

By Farnam M

Sep 07, 2015

Despite the fact that I am willing to apply for graduate programs to US universities, this course illustrated so many ambiguous points in my mind and helped me to rise good questions for choosing the best fit for me. It also made the whole process of applying organized and clear for me, as I didn't know where and how to start, and what I should be looking for.

By Ramiro A Z C

Oct 09, 2015

Excelente curso. Muy Informativo.

Excelent course. Very helpful and full of information.

By Sopnochora09

Aug 07, 2015

Useful Course.

Aug 26, 2015

Very useful one Applicant should take

By Solongo M

Dec 09, 2015

It is an extremely useful course that goes through the details of applying to U.S. Universties step by step covering all ares that need to be covered to receive an adequate understanding especially for foreign students aiming for universities in the U.S. It has numerous resources such as interviews, links to other websites and a brilliant host. Overall, I am fully satisfied and I am glad to give it five stars, which this program clearly deserves.

By Ana M D L

Oct 03, 2017

Excellent course. I´m a career guidance counselor in Colombia and I find this course really helpfull for my job and for my students.