Back to Teaching Children with Visual Impairment: Creating Empowering Classrooms

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teaching Children with Visual Impairment: Creating Empowering Classrooms by University of Cape Town

In the education of children with visual impairment, there is at present a global movement away from segregated special schooling, and towards inclusive neighbourhood schools. Inclusion provides an opportunity for everyone, teachers as well as learners, to become more acquainted about life with visual impairment and to overcome some of the barriers of difference which have existed in the past. But if it is to be successful, teachers and others require key skills and insights in order to create classroom environments which fully accommodate the learning needs of children with visual impairment. In this course, you will discover the visually impaired child by recognizing that there are many different eye conditions and that each affects learning and behavior differently. During the course, we will explore the Expanded Core Curriculum, which is a collection of content areas that teachers integrate into the core curriculum to give visually impaired learners access to knowledge that sighted learners gain through observation. You will also learn how to make your classroom, the content, your teaching, and the assessments accessible through curriculum differentiation strategies. By the end of the course you will have the necessary tools to create empowering classrooms where you can teach children with visual impairment in an inclusive, accessible, and attuned space. You will be able to purchase a Verified Certificate if you wish to show evidence of your achievements, but this is optional, and you may apply for Financial Aid if you are unable to pay the certificate fee....

HD
Sep 16, 2020

The knowledge and skills I have learnt made me to grow.. More student teachers should try out this coarse and the world will be a better place especially for the visually impaired.

SR
Apr 16, 2020

You can't imagine.it's very powerful course to deal with visual impairment .I am so happy to made this choice, advising you to involve in, with my thanks to cape town university

1 - 25 of 27 Reviews for Teaching Children with Visual Impairment: Creating Empowering Classrooms

By Robyn F C

May 12, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed this course. As a South African teacher working with visually impaired learners, I found it very relevant; insightful and interesting. I think that this would be useful for all teachers working in inclusive schools to do. I look forward to applying what I have learnt and effecting positive change in the education of visually impaired children.

By Vincent C

Aug 9, 2020

Teaching Children with Visual Impairment: Creating Empowering Classrooms

This is an excellent course with full topic coverage and lecturers that are not only knowledgeable but probably experts in their respective fields. I would recommend this course to ALL teachers who are serious about an inclusive classroom and quality teaching.

By Michelle M F

Apr 30, 2020

I enjoyed this course a lot and will definitely to similar to this. I learned a lot about the ECC and how to differentiate activities and assessments. Love love loved this course. It will be beneficial for all teachers and people working with the visually impaired

By Laney ( S

May 4, 2020

I think this is a great course to take for educators working with visually impaired students. Especially if they are new to teaching. My favorite part of this course was listening to the experiences and opinions of the panel.

By Samah a E a E R

Apr 17, 2020

By Nadia S

Jul 27, 2020

good

By Elize J

Dec 22, 2020

Thank you for the tools you have given me with this course. I feel so much more ready to help my learners and to do what is best for them. You have covered a lot of my questions and insecurities on being a good teacher for visually impaired learners. I feel empowered. Thank you.

I do have a problem with the transcripts though. The transcriptions are done well, but I think it needs to be reviewed by a person with an educational background. There are some small mistakes that does not make sense in print, but a teacher (and a former editor like me) hears what is actually being said and can correct mistakes in the context of the educational content.

By Manoj G P

Nov 28, 2020

This a good course. To someone who was not aware about anything to do with visual impaired learners, this course is a great way to get started. At the heart of this course is empathy ! It also have many useful and practical and specific suggestions and examples that made it all the more easy to understand.

Would have liked if the course included voices of learners and parents in the course. It helps to hear multiple perspectives.

Nevertheless, heartfelt thanks to the team that has worked to put this course together. Very well done.

By senamile s

Sep 10, 2020

I really found this course interesting and i learnt a lot that i didnt know of especially about visual impaired , the way a teacher should handle themselves in schools with such people i really felt emotional though when watching the video i felt the struggle but im glad there are testimonies that we have graduates and people who have made it in life but still are visual impaired.

By Amanda F

Jan 3, 2021

This course covered the core areas needed to successful mainstream students diagnosed with VI. It prepares educators to plan instruction, gives insight into the accommodations, adaptations and modifications needed, how to treat with such an exceptionality and how to effectively deliver instruction to such students

By Dr. A V

Jun 19, 2020

I just want to say thank you to myself for choosing this course. It will be remarkable always in my career as a teacher. It is a very interesting and informative course, designed in a organized and flexible manner. I have thoroughly enjoyed this course and learnt so many things from it.

By Johanna M T

Oct 25, 2020

I really enjoyed this class! My notebook is filled with information from this course alone and I definitely acquired relevant and essential skills about teaching, interacting, and handling visually impaired children.

By Jessica R

Nov 19, 2020

Thank you so much! This is probably on of the best courses I have ever taken. It was very informative and practical and has given me many ideas for classroom inclusion and management. Best wishes to you all.

By Hope D

Sep 17, 2020

By DUNANI S

Sep 24, 2020

Wow this course is amazing, I had no idea about how one curriculum van be looked at differently to accommodate all learners with different capabilities.

By Lebohang P

Sep 23, 2020

very education course indeed i got to learn a lot of things i strongly believe i can confidently succeed in teaching learners with visual impairments

By Rahel T

Jan 5, 2021

It's a great program I learn a lot of things about how to teach children with visual impairment. I am planning to take more courses.

By Angela M

Jul 15, 2020

I gained a ton of knowledge on creating a great classroom to help the VI students get the most out of learning!

By NOLWAZI F T

Sep 21, 2020

this is great information, it is so helpful and I have learnt so much stuff about visual impairment

By Namrata P

Sep 17, 2020

It was my honor to learn so many new things with life experienced people with visual impairments.

By GAMUCHIRAI J M

Sep 16, 2020

This is such a wonderful course, it is also super informative!!!

By Sarah p

Dec 5, 2020

The course was so rich and full of interesting information.

By Dimpho P

Sep 19, 2020

Excellent course, I learnt so much! Thank you very much!

By Yiap X