Back to Introduction to Typography

Introduction to Typography, California Institute of the Arts

About this Course

Typography is the art of manipulating the visual form of language to enrich and control its meaning. It’s an essential area of skill and knowledge for graphic designers. Typography predates modern graphic design by around 500 years; it is rich in rules, conventions, and esoteric terminology—but it remains an exciting space for invention and expression. In this rigorous introductory course, we will study, name, and measure the characteristics of letterforms. We’ll consider the pragmatic concerns involved in selecting and combining type. We’ll peek into the
rich historical, cultural, and aesthetic histories of familiar typefaces. We’ll discuss time-tested conventions and best practices in setting type, as governed by principles of hierarchy and spatial organization. And we’ll explore the expressive, meaning-making potential of type. Informative lectures will be complemented by a series of three peer-assessed assignments, culminating
in an opportunity to design a full-scale typographic poster. Please note that this is not a software course; a basic working knowledge of Adobe InDesign or other
page layout software will be assumed. You will need access to a computer and page layout software, such as InDesign, to complete the assignments....

By LS

Apr 07, 2016

Very organized and detailed about the basic, history, characteristics of typography.\n\nI really enjoyed it and wish there were other courses by the same lecturer.\n\nThanks for the great course!!

By JC

Jul 29, 2018

Loved that the main typeface study was carried out throughout this course. Loved beginning with the writing assignment and then evolving into a full on typographic poster. Very fun and informative

443 Reviews

By Helen Hughes-Farrenkopf

Mar 20, 2019

I liked the course overall and found it informative. I think that the topics in week 3 and 4 could be combined. I also wasn't sure where I could post questions to clarify something in the assignments.

By Andra Martinescu

Mar 18, 2019

Brilliant! Cool projects and very well explained. I learnt a lot. Thanks and pls keep up the great work. This course is very valuable.

By Leon Bezuidenhout

Mar 12, 2019

Basic information, but gave me great insight into how typography is created and works.

By israa hassan hussin

Mar 09, 2019

nice

By Boula Nessim Soliman

Mar 08, 2019

It is a great course

By Julie Shurley

Mar 08, 2019

Very interesting and informative.

By Priscila Aparecida de Souza

Mar 04, 2019

IT has amazing videos explanations and great history lessons about typography, but I would love to have a proper professor feedback on my designs.

By Noha Kamal Khalil Elsherif

Mar 03, 2019

i think its great

By Claudio C Galparoli

Mar 02, 2019

I never thought this topic would trigger such passion in me. I loved it!

By Sian-Louise Nelson

Feb 26, 2019

this was extremely helpful. I had no idea how much I could learn from this course on Typography.