Back to Introduction to Typography

Introduction to Typography, California Institute of the Arts

About this Course

Typography is the art of manipulating the visual form of language to enrich and control its meaning. It’s an essential area of skill and knowledge for graphic designers. Typography predates modern graphic design by around 500 years; it is rich in rules, conventions, and esoteric terminology—but it remains an exciting space for invention and expression. In this rigorous introductory course, we will study, name, and measure the characteristics of letterforms. We’ll consider the pragmatic concerns involved in selecting and combining type. We’ll peek into the
rich historical, cultural, and aesthetic histories of familiar typefaces. We’ll discuss time-tested conventions and best practices in setting type, as governed by principles of hierarchy and spatial organization. And we’ll explore the expressive, meaning-making potential of type. Informative lectures will be complemented by a series of three peer-assessed assignments, culminating
in an opportunity to design a full-scale typographic poster. Please note that this is not a software course; a basic working knowledge of Adobe InDesign or other
page layout software will be assumed. You will need access to a computer and page layout software, such as InDesign, to complete the assignments....

By LS

Apr 07, 2016

Very organized and detailed about the basic, history, characteristics of typography.\n\nI really enjoyed it and wish there were other courses by the same lecturer.\n\nThanks for the great course!!

By JC

Jul 29, 2018

Loved that the main typeface study was carried out throughout this course. Loved beginning with the writing assignment and then evolving into a full on typographic poster. Very fun and informative

472 Reviews

By Inas Ahmed Mohamed Toni

May 22, 2019

Good

By Mingtao Wu

May 16, 2019

Very good intro class. Learned a lot of practical skills when applying typography to design.

By Maya Roeder

May 14, 2019

Great introduction to typography!

By Donna Beazley

May 14, 2019

I enjoyed this course very much.

By asmita jalali

n

t

By guy kowen

May 12, 2019

Very good. The course gave me knowledge about typography and terms. the assignments can be improved, the last assignment shouldn't be based on the previous one in my opinion. in general the last week of the course can consist a bit more content.

By Nichole Brivett-Williams

May 06, 2019

Very good and helpful course.

By Justyna Belkevic

May 06, 2019

I absolutely enjoyed this course! Especially the little projects - I could actually see my progress. Really recommend.

By Nicholas Seth Hemenway

May 02, 2019

So far, the most helpful course out of this specialization. Taking the last course soon.

By Aleksandar Jošić

May 02, 2019

I'm very satisfied with this course overall! Tutorials were clear and interesting and it raised my interest for typography in general. I would recommend it to anybody interested!