Back to Unethical Decision Making in Organizations

Unethical Decision Making in Organizations, University of Lausanne

About this Course

This course 'Unethical decision making in organizations : A seminar on the dark side of the force' will teach you how strong organizational contexts push good people towards unethical decisions. You will also learn how to protect yourself and your organization against such forces lurking in the dark. About the Course This course teaches how narrow frames and strong contexts can push good people towards unethical decisions and how they can protect themselves and their organization against ethical blindness. The goal of this course is to empower the participants to analyze the risks of unethical or illegal behavior that might be triggered by powerful contexts. It draws from various disciplines such as management, psychology, sociology, philosophy, and literature, in order to learn what these disciplines contribute to a better understanding of unethical behavior. The course also analyzes some of the most prominent organizational scandals of the recent decades through the lenses of these disciplines. Whenever we hear about ethical scandals, we tend to believe that unethical or illegal behaviour in organizations is driven by character deficiencies of individual actors. Put differently, we simply assume that bad things are done by bad people. However, numerous corporate scandals have demonstrated that even people with a high level of integrity can break the rules if they are put into a strong context. A better understanding of why and under what conditions good people make bad ethical decisions will enable us to better protect individuals as well as their respective organizations against the potentially overwhelming power of the context. It will also enable us to cure societies from problems like corruption. At the end of the course, you are able to: 1. Explain the impact of social context on individual decision making using various theories (from Management, Sociology, Psychology, and Philosophy) 2. Apply these theories to the analysis of some of the most eminent organizational scandals of the recent decades 3. Assess risks of ethical blindness in your own organizational context 4. Design interventions to reduce such risks for yourself and your organization Recommended Background No background expertise is required. The course is open for interested layperson as well as experts who work on related topics, be it as researchers or practitioners (e.g., compliance managers in corporations). Why is this course important for me? Currently, the understanding of why good people make unethical decisions is rather limited, related research is rather fragmented, and the management of such problems in organizations is overly simplistic, legalistic, and inadequate. Understanding contexts, including the dangers of routines, the mindlessness of our daily decisions, and the healing power of mindful decision-making routines is of increasing importance. In this course, you will learn the latest knowledge and the appropriate tool box for dealing with ethical challenges that you will face throughout your life! What do I need to follow this course? We build bridges between various scientific disciplines and will familiarize you with those disciplines smoothly. You need no expertise, just come and share your own real-world experiences about unethical decisions. After all, we are all experts in making decisions—some more ethically, some less ethically—aren’t we?...

By SP

Jul 30, 2017

i am faculty in an engineer college in vizag. I teach Professional ethics to the undergraduate student. Your course content is extremely useful. Thanks for provide great contents

By OM

May 07, 2017

I great course! I have learned a lot and changed my perspective of decision making in organizations and in common life. Thank you. I highly recommend it.

71 Reviews

By Mark Anderson

Nov 20, 2018

A great course that should be compulsor

By CARL HEINZ MULLER

Oct 23, 2018

Considering todays challenges in society, corporation and politics, in making the world more just, this course is an important contribution.

By Nancy Falla

Sep 05, 2018

I really liked this course! It helped to spell out in words what I have observed. Weeks 1 to 6 go into great details about the problems and are really very helpful. I however think that there is room for improvement of week 7: it is too abridged, too superficial, a bit abstract. Week 7 did not answer all my questions about the ways to fight the cases of unethical decision making that I have witnessed while feeling powerless. I think that there is room for elaborating on solutions. But don't get me wrong: the course is really excellent and worth taking.

By Dennis Hüper

Sep 05, 2018

very helpful practical examples and good structure of the course. I was able to apply the acquired knowledge in business practice. Thanks a lot.

By Manuel Eduardo Lobão de Sousa Aroso

Sep 05, 2018

a surprising course, very useful with relevant practical information and tools for reflexion. about the teachers only a word : FANTASTIC

By Riane de Haas-Bledoeg

Jul 19, 2018

Absolutely a must! Very detailed and useful in recognizing

By Tai Teong Yap

Jul 09, 2018

Straight-forward, practical and powerful introductory course on ethics in decision-making context.

By paraskevi meimaridou

Jun 09, 2018

amazing ideas, lots of all the things mentioned happen at my job and I didn't notice that they are so connected, unethical decisions are a big chain

By Alyshah

May 27, 2018

Great course! Could be done at any level of education. Very detailed & descriptive, with amazing theoretical as well as real life examples

By Rabia Ahmed Shaikh