Back to Unethical Decision Making in Organizations

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Unethical Decision Making in Organizations by University of Lausanne

This course 'Unethical decision making in organizations : A seminar on the dark side of the force' will teach you how strong organizational contexts push good people towards unethical decisions. You will also learn how to protect yourself and your organization against such forces lurking in the dark. About the Course This course teaches how narrow frames and strong contexts can push good people towards unethical decisions and how they can protect themselves and their organization against ethical blindness. The goal of this course is to empower the participants to analyze the risks of unethical or illegal behavior that might be triggered by powerful contexts. It draws from various disciplines such as management, psychology, sociology, philosophy, and literature, in order to learn what these disciplines contribute to a better understanding of unethical behavior. The course also analyzes some of the most prominent organizational scandals of the recent decades through the lenses of these disciplines. Whenever we hear about ethical scandals, we tend to believe that unethical or illegal behaviour in organizations is driven by character deficiencies of individual actors. Put differently, we simply assume that bad things are done by bad people. However, numerous corporate scandals have demonstrated that even people with a high level of integrity can break the rules if they are put into a strong context. A better understanding of why and under what conditions good people make bad ethical decisions will enable us to better protect individuals as well as their respective organizations against the potentially overwhelming power of the context. It will also enable us to cure societies from problems like corruption. At the end of the course, you are able to: 1. Explain the impact of social context on individual decision making using various theories (from Management, Sociology, Psychology, and Philosophy) 2. Apply these theories to the analysis of some of the most eminent organizational scandals of the recent decades 3. Assess risks of ethical blindness in your own organizational context 4. Design interventions to reduce such risks for yourself and your organization Recommended Background No background expertise is required. The course is open for interested layperson as well as experts who work on related topics, be it as researchers or practitioners (e.g., compliance managers in corporations). Why is this course important for me? Currently, the understanding of why good people make unethical decisions is rather limited, related research is rather fragmented, and the management of such problems in organizations is overly simplistic, legalistic, and inadequate. Understanding contexts, including the dangers of routines, the mindlessness of our daily decisions, and the healing power of mindful decision-making routines is of increasing importance. In this course, you will learn the latest knowledge and the appropriate tool box for dealing with ethical challenges that you will face throughout your life! What do I need to follow this course? We build bridges between various scientific disciplines and will familiarize you with those disciplines smoothly. You need no expertise, just come and share your own real-world experiences about unethical decisions. After all, we are all experts in making decisions—some more ethically, some less ethically—aren’t we?...

SP

Jul 30, 2017

i am faculty in an engineer college in vizag. I teach Professional ethics to the undergraduate student. Your course content is extremely useful. Thanks for provide great contents

OM

May 07, 2017

I great course! I have learned a lot and changed my perspective of decision making in organizations and in common life. Thank you. I highly recommend it.

1 - 25 of 78 Reviews for Unethical Decision Making in Organizations

By Martin F

Feb 04, 2019

The course provide very good introduction to unethical decision-making, referring to many practical examples. Moreover, the course introduces the ethical blidness concept and tools for analyzing this blidness in every company. The course is higly recommended to those dealing with decision-making.

By Riane d H

Jul 19, 2018

Absolutely a must! Very detailed and useful in recognizing

By Peter B

May 24, 2017

Excellent course in both content and delivery. Clear explanations provided for what for many people is a new and unusual topic. Thanks!

By Michalis O

Jun 22, 2017

Very good course. Had some flashbacks due to the fact that I studied Business Management but there were lots of aha! moments.

By Guillaume B

Sep 23, 2016

I already participated in 2015 but was unable to complete the course (made around 25%) due to lack of time to follow the lessons. I remember having learned a lot and read interesting "stories/experiences" from other students in the course forums. Highly recommended.

By Theodore K

Jan 08, 2018

Great course!

By Timur v D

Jul 17, 2017

An excellent course, I will help me enormously in my future work.

By Manoel S

Sep 21, 2017

Great topics, discussions. It made me rethink a lot of assumptions.

By Gopi K V

Feb 16, 2017

very structured course from the foundation level.

thanks

By SAUVIK K B

Jan 31, 2017

Amazing Course. Informative, Productive and Fulfilling.

By Mannika S

Feb 11, 2017

Short, but informative course. Great for working professionals.

By Louis B

Jan 06, 2017

A great addition and extension of other behavioral economics material on the same subject.

By Paulo R V P

Sep 06, 2017

Excellent course on how to avoid to made unethical decisions in organizations.

By Pau B O

Dec 02, 2016

Great course. The level of depth of the analysis on how and why good people behave unethically exceeded my expectations. A very interesting cocktail of psychology, ethics, behavioural economics and sociology. Recommended for everyone.

By Paraskevi M

Jun 09, 2018

amazing ideas, lots of all the things mentioned happen at my job and I didn't notice that they are so connected, unethical decisions are a big chain

By Mike W

May 01, 2018

A really useful introduction to a subject which sometimes receives insufficient attention in mainstream degree courses, or other professional training opportunities. The course content was comprehensive and engaging. Very helpful in informing my thinking as an executive in a government agency on how to remain alert to risks of ethical blindness, and how to best construct ethical guard rails to help keep my CEO and the wider organisation safe from the potential for unethical conduct in our complex workplace.

By James M

Apr 24, 2017

Excellent course that really opens your eyes to ethics and the power of contexts. Instructors were excellent. I would highly recommend this course.

By Sebastien H

Apr 07, 2018

Fantastic course! One of the most interesting and practically relevant course's I've taken in years.

By Oksana K

Jan 15, 2017

Great course, very structured, systemised and clear.

Good examples as cases described, and give a very clear understanding of the reasoning, context and why and what is important.

Very recommended!

By Olga P M M

May 07, 2017

By Narmina G

Apr 22, 2017

Great course and presentations!

By Marcelo C

Nov 22, 2016

Very well prepared and presented. The syllabus is well designed. Study objectives are clearly stated at the beginning of each session and recapped at the end. Test make sense and reconfirm understanding.

I can only recommend it. Thank you very much!

By Robyn M M

Mar 27, 2017

Absorbing, enlightening, practical and all round great course - highly recommended.

By Sylvan R

Feb 03, 2017

very well structured, delivered and animated. well researched and with good take aways in practical business life

By Wei G