Back to Design Thinking for Innovation

Today innovation is everyone's business. Whether you are a manager in a global corporation, an entrepreneur starting up, in a government role, or a teacher in an elementary school, everyone is expected to get lean – to do better with less. And that is why we all need design thinking. At every level in every kind of organization, design thinking provides the tools you need to become an innovative thinker and uncover creative opportunities that are there – you're just not seeing them yet. In this course, developed at the Darden School of Business at the University of Virginia and taught by top-ranked faculty, we provide an overview of design thinking and work with a model containing four key questions and several tools to help you understand design thinking as a problem solving approach. We also look at several stories from different organizations that used design thinking to uncover compelling solutions....

LM
Sep 22, 2019

I really liked the peer reviews at the end. It was a great way to view other examples of how different projects, industries, and teams have used design thinking. The course was easy to follow as well.

SP
Aug 15, 2020

Excellent program to learn lots of tools towards Design Thinking !! Thanks a lot! Very interactive and the last activity of completing the assignment was very thought provoking !! thanks to all pears!

201 - 225 of 1,991 Reviews for Design Thinking for Innovation

By Antti K

Aug 2, 2020

I particularly liked the peer reviewed assignment at the end. Not all peer submissions from other users were made seriously, but for me it was a good opportunity to think about what I have learned and how it is applied in practice.

By Васильев В В

Jul 4, 2020

Great course, really changing mindset and providing clear and well-structured approach to new way of thinking! Professor Liedtka and her colleagues are really impressive with their knowledge, enthusiasm and charisma! Thanks a lot!

By Felipe M

Aug 27, 2019

Great course. It really helped me understand the importance of design thinking and how it can be applied to avoid rework and achieve great results with team collaboration. Thanks a lot Coursera and University of Virginia for this.

By Srinath G

Sep 17, 2016

A very well laid out structured learning program. Course pace & content is great & triggers enough thinking during the course assignment. I recommend the course to all those who want to bring in structure to thinking & innovation

By Ariestelo A

May 6, 2020

Interesting topics as it let me learn actual experiences from cases of IBM, and Good Kitchen as well as the visual diagram of George and Geoff. The course itself stood to its true purpose of design thinking. Highly recommended!

By AVNISH P G

Sep 21, 2017

I think it was a very informative course with a lots of real time examples to take inspirations from.

I strongly recommend this course to all organizations, so that they can come up with innovative solutions for their customers.

By Naven G

Oct 8, 2016

Excellent pragmatic take on Design Thinking - a fairly complex subject that was made as easy to understand. Really enjoyed Prof Liedtka - am ready for a more advanced course on this very interesting subject - thank you so much

By Edilio U A

Jun 17, 2020

Design thinking for innovation is an excellent course to develop any type of project or business. This course has ideal resources to develop ideas thinking about the people you intend to serve. I highly recommend this course.

By Jean C M d S

Jan 27, 2020

Apesar de ser introdutório, o curso é rico em detalhes, em cases de exemplo. Um ponto importante sobre o Design Thinking é que ele não é oposto à abordagem de negócios tradicional, muito pelo contrário, ambos se complementam.

By Aditya P

Jul 20, 2020

Very good quick crash-course, giving the duration. Helps you set and organize your mind around problems at work and problems in general. Slight critique: Assignments are complicated to understand what exactly has to be done.

By Erfan J N

May 16, 2020

I feel honored and privileged to be part of this valuable course, and I wish to thank professor Liedka and her colleagues in the Darden school of business to provide remarkable resources for this class about design thinking.

By Rogerio A

Mar 6, 2020

I'm loving this course. It works and explains the ideas in a very clear way. The tools are very usefull and I'm just thinking about learning more and more with this team and with coursera plataform. Thanks a lot and move on!

By Jorge A R

Jul 25, 2017

Great introductory course on design thinking. I found it very useful to have an overall idea of how to use design thinking for innovation. Furthermore, it provides guidelines on how to apply design thinking on your own work.

By Sachin K

Mar 19, 2017

This course is so elegantly structured that in spite of very busy schedule of mine I could still complete it and also could quickly apply. I think the fundamental thinking of "Fail or succeed fast" is built in to this course

By Arun

Oct 2, 2019

The whole course is structured in a very systematic way to make everyone understand the concept. we can feel the experience of professors who are teaching the subject. Live examples made this course interesting and engaging

By Erica I

Nov 2, 2020

This course was great! It was really easy to follow along and I appreciate how it was broken out into easily digestible sections. I would recommend this to those looking for a fresh perspective on how to tackle challenges!

By Dr. N V V J

May 15, 2020

Its really an awesome course which gave a very good knowledge about innovation and design thinking through many examples - mainly story telling. we are great that we are introduced with four important tools generally used.

By Suryanarayanan K

Oct 23, 2017

Very well structured and organized course. The learning material was just right. I got the value I expected from this course. Jeanne is an excellent tutor. The effort Darden has put in to develop this course is impressive.

By Harish

Jun 20, 2016

Absolutely awesome course. Makes you really go back to the drawing board and re-evalate if we are building products the right way with our customers in mind. A must have course for every product developer and entrepreneur.

By Raul I J

Oct 26, 2020

It's a good introduction to design thinking and how we could use this methodology to achieve our goals.

Considero que es una buena introducción al pensamiento de diseño y como usarlo para lograr nuestras metas al innovar.

By Josué C M O

Mar 28, 2017

It is a very interesting course that helps people undertand new methologies for innovation. I recommend taking this course if you want to provoke change in your company and in your life, but till now you do not know how.

By Pallamraju Y

Oct 17, 2020

It's a well laid out great course on Design Thinking. Narration & coaching by Leidtka is awesome, and course is structured in a way that it holds the student's eagerness to understand basics of Design Thinking easily.

By Melissa S

May 13, 2020

I definitely recommend it. I explained in a broad way how this technique or method of Design Thinking could help corporations and individuals to create new services and products, and to improve the ones we already have.

By Sphiwe D

Dec 12, 2019

This was a really nice course and I really enjoyed it. It was exactly what I needed since I am currently working on a project that requires my team members and myself to apply the Design Thinking methodology. Thank you!

By Tim M

Dec 4, 2019

This course is an excellent overview of design thinking with case studies. It provides excellent foundational material and sources for further study and practice. The peer-review final assignment exercises the learning.