Back to Story and Narrative Development for Video Games

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Story and Narrative Development for Video Games by California Institute of the Arts

In this course, you will examine how storytelling acts as a vital mechanism for driving video gameplay forward. Looking at several historical and contemporary games, you will be asked to evaluate and interpret different story styles with the goal of identifying themes and procedures for your own game ideas. We'll examine traditional narrative story processes, such as three-act structure, and how they fit into game story flows and the strategic elements of gameplay. Ultimately, you will learn how to define character, setting, and structure to create a compelling game concept....

CS

Dec 31, 2015

This is my favorite course ever. Dariush teaches in such an engaging way and it shows you how to have a creative yet objective and analyzed mindset for creating a story and narrative for a Video Game.

DA

Nov 07, 2017

This is so helpful. It covers all the essentials of developing a good story, applicable in any form of media, then it focuses on converting the story to a game by adding interactive gameplay elements.

1 - 25 of 163 Reviews for Story and Narrative Development for Video Games

By Ekaterina S

Feb 28, 2018

Loved the coarse and especially the teacher! Was a real pleasure to listen to such a well constructed lectures. And the assignments very interesting.

By Breanne C

Sep 07, 2018

My problems are moreso regarding my peers, as the course itself is fantastic, and this presenter is by far the most enjoyable to listen to and therefore easiest to absorb information from.

The bulk of the assignments being submitted by my peers shows little to no effort at all (a shocking quantity of which being directly copy-pasted from Wikipedia or outright blank fields), and yet my own assignments are being nit-picked to a disheartening degree. Enthusiasm and attempting to go above and beyond the requirements is frequently punished, and if I'm busy due to work or focusing on other courses and end up needing to submit later, I've had assignments reviewed by a single person; since there are no additional opinions to provide an average, my entire grade hinges on the opinions of a sole peer. I feel that assignments shouldn't be allowed to be counted as graded until they receive a set amount of reviews to allow for a peer average. We're students, so no single one of us is qualified to be a end-all-be-all judge of one another.

I feel that I must scrutinize Coursera itself in that this is a poorly-balanced system of grading, which should in all honesty be done by faculty. Seeing as how we're not paying for staff to perform the grading, I fail to see how this merits an ongoing subscription when the experience is equitable to purchasing a DVD set and book on a DIY course which one could share with a friend and turn to one another for peer review, without the looming stressor of arbitrary deadlines.

This is very disappointing.

By Adrianisa K S

Jan 09, 2019

The course is delivered very nicely with well-thought reading materials and lots of practicing. Like they always say, practice makes perfect.

Thank you for sharing the knowledge!

By Anna

Jan 22, 2019

Great opportunity to practice your creative writing skills!

By Francisco J B V

Feb 13, 2019

Excellent course!

By Luis A

Feb 02, 2019

Una buena introducción a la narrativa aplicada a los videojuegos. Muy práctica. No es excesivamente profunda, pero muy recomendable precisamente porque admite a alumnos de casi todos los niveles.

A good introduction to the narrative applied to video games. Very practical. It is not excessively deep, but I highly recommend it precisely because it admits students of all levels.

By Sohaila A A

Mar 12, 2019

i really loved every single bit of it. i loved the topics discussed, the way i was taught to think and get the ideas out so thanks alot. you are great.

By Liv

Mar 07, 2019

What a fun course! Really made me think about writing, how to turn a story into a game, and how to ideate and create bigger concepts from small ideas. Loved watching all the videos!

By Daniel A A G

Sep 14, 2018

It really helped me understand the basics of what I was trying to do. Great course

By Joshua v d V

Oct 22, 2018

This course helped me learn the basics of storytelling, and I felt that with only 20 hours spent on this course I have grown a lot in this department. I would recommend this course to anyone who's into storytelling for video games.

By V.B.Srevarshan

Nov 07, 2018

This course will set you off on your journey to become a video game story writer.

By Steven V

Nov 01, 2015

The basics of this course are well defined and prepare you for proper story and narrative development in video games. I like the step-by-step process this course takes.

By Raul C

Mar 01, 2016

Great course and great teacher

By Felipe S L

Dec 04, 2015

The course has a nice introduction and depth to the story and narrative elements of a game (and other media).

By Ujjwal

Apr 19, 2016

Very Good

By Diego R

Mar 08, 2016

Great material and wisdom, really makes you think in the real importance of a well written story in a game.

By Nana M

Jun 19, 2018

I really enjoyed the course!

By Rodolfo E S

Feb 20, 2016

The course develops skills in communicating video game narratives and weaving these into the overall structure of the game. The strategy hinges on a series of outlines--taught with examples and exercises--that eventually fit together in a comprehensive design document, which allows a designer/writer to organize ideas and make them comprehensible and engaging for potential readers. The examples used are great, covering games both simple and complex; and the exercises grow gradually less structured, ensuring that the skills necessary to develop an idea from scratch are gained along the way.

By Sarah L

Nov 16, 2015

Although its very writing-intensive, I learned a lot from it and feel much more able to develop a story for a game. Thanks!

By Marcil G

Jul 14, 2016

I enjoyed it! Quite simple but still usefull and interesting.

By Andre P

Sep 20, 2016

Pretty informative and helpful. Especially if you have difficulties in creating a plot for you game.

By Luis E

Jul 05, 2018

loved it

By Sergey P

Nov 13, 2015

Great course. Help to improve your skills of creating goo story for the game.

By Oleg P

Nov 07, 2015

It is more interesting course that I thought it to be, and the teacher, Dariush Derakhshani, is a very clever and charismatic person. He makes the student thinks for themselves, and the interesting assignments help them to foster their creative abilities.

By Kevin