Back to Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science by University of California San Diego

4.4

Mathematical thinking is crucial in all areas of computer science: algorithms, bioinformatics, computer graphics, data science, machine learning, etc. In this course, we will learn the most important tools used in discrete mathematics: induction, recursion, logic, invariants, examples, optimality. We will use these tools to answer typical programming questions like: How can we be certain a solution exists? Am I sure my program computes the optimal answer? Do each of these objects meet the given requirements? In the course, we use a try-this-before-we-explain-everything approach: you will be solving many interactive (and mobile friendly) puzzles that were carefully designed to allow you to invent many of the important ideas and concepts yourself. Prerequisites: 1. We assume only basic math (e.g., we expect you to know what is a square or how to add fractions), common sense and curiosity. 2. Basic programming knowledge is necessary as some quizzes require programming in Python....

AD
Mar 25, 2019

The teachers are informative and good. They explain the topic in a way that we can easily understand. The slides provide all the information that is needed. The external tools are fun and informative.

AM
Feb 27, 2021

It is a great course! teachers explain everything with care. While providing lectures there are some popup ques that verify whether you understood that lecture or not. Overall, a great experience.

326 - 350 of 431 Reviews for Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science

By yousef i o

Apr 5, 2020

There is Somethings that I found hard to understand during the explanations of some hard topics

By Aman K S

Apr 23, 2020

The only thing required is to allow learners to use any programming language instead of Python

By KAMOGELO S

Jun 14, 2020

This was an interesting and captivating course. The professors were concise and entertaining.

By Marco M

I like the learn by doing approach but some more explanation would help.

A good course.

By Joseph D

Dec 24, 2017

I enjoyed the course. I would like more depth or more clear explanations from A Shen.

By Gaurang V

Nov 21, 2020

Could've been a little bit more challenging, but really enjoyed learning throughout.

By SWARNAPRATIM M

Oct 24, 2017

Good course.Great puzzles.A big thank you to the instructors.Thank you once again.

By Sara K

Aug 20, 2020

I think the coding should be allowed to be in other languages as well as python

By Yufan Z

Jul 19, 2018

Some explanations might be a little confused for me. But this is a good course!

By BUĞRA A S

Nov 30, 2020

Material is nice but the unreliability of the 3rd party graded tool is a shame

By Devansh R

May 12, 2020

This course helped me in thinking logic of algorithms in a much efficient way.

By Nikhil R

Jul 25, 2020

The best way to learn Mathematics, simply brilliant and really interactive

By Mudit V

Jun 5, 2020

Interesting Course Help You To Understand Basic programming and its maths.

By Manish D

Oct 20, 2020

The instructors were good but I was expecting more content in the course.

By Sunny J

Aug 25, 2020

Great Learning experience. Innteractive modules and quizzes made it fun.

By Harsh V

Jun 21, 2020

The first instructor was not good. Else the course was pretty engaging.

By Rajiv s

Apr 19, 2020

A great experience. To be true the only hardest one was

the last week

By ANIRUDH K

Jul 26, 2020

give good explanation of 15 puzzle. Your explanation is so complicated

By Nikhil Y

Apr 19, 2020

really amazing course covering all the basics and some advanced topics

By Hoàng P C

Jun 2, 2021

​some part is not clear and some question is do hard to understand.

By Aren T

Nov 19, 2019

An excellent warm-up course to the world of discrete mathematics.

By Suraj K

This course has very good content. And very good for beginners.

By Thura T

Jan 2, 2021

I got mathematical skill required for coding improvement.

By Arnav k J

grate course help me improve in logic building

By arsalan k

Dec 27, 2018

The audio feels "too mechanical" sometimes