Back to Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science by University of California San Diego

4.4

Mathematical thinking is crucial in all areas of computer science: algorithms, bioinformatics, computer graphics, data science, machine learning, etc. In this course, we will learn the most important tools used in discrete mathematics: induction, recursion, logic, invariants, examples, optimality. We will use these tools to answer typical programming questions like: How can we be certain a solution exists? Am I sure my program computes the optimal answer? Do each of these objects meet the given requirements? In the course, we use a try-this-before-we-explain-everything approach: you will be solving many interactive (and mobile friendly) puzzles that were carefully designed to allow you to invent many of the important ideas and concepts yourself. Prerequisites: 1. We assume only basic math (e.g., we expect you to know what is a square or how to add fractions), common sense and curiosity. 2. Basic programming knowledge is necessary as some quizzes require programming in Python....

AD
Mar 25, 2019

The teachers are informative and good. They explain the topic in a way that we can easily understand. The slides provide all the information that is needed. The external tools are fun and informative.

CW
Feb 1, 2020

I loved this course! So many interesting things to think about, thoughtfully explained by brilliant instructors. The puzzles really get you thinking. Such genius to put them before the lectures!

376 - 397 of 397 Reviews for Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science

By S. U

Aug 9, 2020

Interesting topics, lots of puzzles, but lacks structure. Lectures are well-prepared, but as someone new to this space, I would have preferred a bit more structure to the learning, with a clearer idea of how we would incorporate the concepts into something more than simply solving odd parlor trick puzzles.

As it stands now, I'm not confident I would recognize when I would be able to deploy any of the skills/concepts taught in the course. A shame, because the instructors are easy to follow and engaging.

By Araik B

Dec 28, 2020

I came out of that with a 100% and was confused from start to finish. Some of the classes did help in regards to the other programming class I took.

The beginning message that you do not need to know anything other than algebra and basic math was way off.

I don't feel like i got much out of this specific one but it is part of a package so we will see how the rest develop - usually its by the last class im like OH THIS IS WHY

By Jeffrey W

Nov 3, 2020

Not great quality of teaching. They made lots of assumptions about what you knew and could have explained things a lot more comprehensively. They also made a lot of mistakes In their speaking, and corrected them with numerous on screen corrections, which made It hard to get Into the flow of the class.

By Nijat A

Oct 29, 2020

I personally think the content could have been better structured and explained - I had to frequently refer to other materials on the internet to understand some of the concepts. Also, the programming task in Week 6 is not designed for a beginner such as myself.

By Aaron A

Jun 6, 2020

A lot of sections were not explained really well. I had a hard time following the concepts.

By Sidney G

Oct 19, 2020

The lecture is good however, it is difficult to understand because of the stuttering.

By Matthew E

Apr 27, 2020

Some interesting ideas, but course delivery and content needs a lot of work.

By Ramkumar

Apr 22, 2020

i don't know how this course is going to help in computer scien

By Luis M V F

Jan 9, 2020

This course lacks of mathematical foundations.

By Andrew M

Dec 28, 2020

Do not be deceived by the "Beginner" status tag associated with this course. It very much expects you to be familiar with the subject matter, as certain logical steps are left out (whether purposefully or not), only to show up during the graded quiz at the end of the week. This leads to scouring the web for greater clarification and better examples of the subject being covered, completely defeating the purpose of paying money to have said information provided to the student.

The lectures are bad and boring, which is a shame considering how engaging and intriguing this subject can be. Omission of certain subject material that then shows up on the quiz results in randomly selecting an answer, checking if it is incorrect, then retaking the quiz in a cycle of "process of elimination", until a passing grade is achieved. I did this:

1.) To see if the explanations after getting the question correct (why a more robust explanation is provided after getting the question right as opposed to wrong, I'll never understand) provided any insights. They did not. They were as vague and confusing as the videos they were supposedly based off of.

2.) Just to move on with the curriculum. It gets tiring looking at the same explanations and videos over and over, only to have nothing "click" in your head.

I'm on the third week of this course (Recursion & Induction), and I'm surprised I've made it this far. I have since canceled my subscription, and have opted for a more exhaustive medium (https://smile.amazon.com/Introductory-Discrete-Mathematics-Computer-Science/dp/0486691152/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3O9JR43XF4VF0&dchild=1&keywords=introduction+to+discrete+mathematics&qid=1609175879&sprefix=introduction+to+discrete%2Caps%2C475&sr=8-1) to help me on my journey to understand this subject.

Save yourself the time, energy, and money. Look elsewhere for a more "Beginner-friendly" format.

By Khan S H

week 2 to week 5 does not cover much, especially does not provide any clue how that could be used in computer science. It shows many ways to solve the problem but give zero direction how one could think about a new problem. When you have a new problem, you do not know which theory will apply. How should we think to decide which theory will work, this should be covered.

By Onur S S

Sep 3, 2020

I'd give 5 star, i just wanna indicate a problem. After week 3, 3rd party puzzle app links are broken. I can't do exercises. I see '502 Bad Gateway nginx/1.18.0' error on my page. Apart from this, course is awesome.

By rajinder s s

Dec 13, 2020

I did not get much from the course. while the material is interesting but somehow some instructors lack the ability to explain things very clearly.

By Balakumaran

Apr 12, 2020

The worst course I have ever taken. Concepts have been explained very poorly. Please please don't waste time on learning this course.

By kaushik

Jun 10, 2020

some of the topics were fucking bad the explanations could have been a way more clearer felt bad

By Andrea Z

Apr 26, 2020

good content, but I have to say that is very and I mean very hard to understand the teachers

By William L H

Aug 24, 2020

I'm not sure which is more bizarre, the topics being discussed or the quizzes.

By RAYADURGAM K K