Back to Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science by University of California San Diego

4.4

Mathematical thinking is crucial in all areas of computer science: algorithms, bioinformatics, computer graphics, data science, machine learning, etc. In this course, we will learn the most important tools used in discrete mathematics: induction, recursion, logic, invariants, examples, optimality. We will use these tools to answer typical programming questions like: How can we be certain a solution exists? Am I sure my program computes the optimal answer? Do each of these objects meet the given requirements? In the course, we use a try-this-before-we-explain-everything approach: you will be solving many interactive (and mobile friendly) puzzles that were carefully designed to allow you to invent many of the important ideas and concepts yourself. Prerequisites: 1. We assume only basic math (e.g., we expect you to know what is a square or how to add fractions), common sense and curiosity. 2. Basic programming knowledge is necessary as some quizzes require programming in Python....

AD

Mar 26, 2019

The teachers are informative and good. They explain the topic in a way that we can easily understand. The slides provide all the information that is needed. The external tools are fun and informative.

CW

Feb 02, 2020

I loved this course! So many interesting things to think about, thoughtfully explained by brilliant instructors. The puzzles really get you thinking. Such genius to put them before the lectures!

151 - 175 of 220 Reviews for Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science

By PREMDEEP A

May 29, 2018

This course mostly deals with mathematical puzzles. I had fun solving those puzzles. But what I was really concerned about was the explanation part. Some of the explanations are sometimes really hard to grasp. Apart from that it is a nice course. I hope they will make clear explanations in future.

By Sudheera S

Aug 29, 2018

I like the new title "Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science" rather than "What is a proof?". Good course for beginners of the subject discrete mathematics. It really does what the title says. It helps improve your mathematical thinking and prepares you for computer science studies.

By Seif A

Apr 17, 2020

Some parts are very hard to follow. I found week 6 the most challenging because I have a sort of weak logical thinking base. Also I believe it should have been explained more clearly because programming mathematical statements isn't so easy.

By Jasvin M

Professor Alexander Shen's way of teaching and passion was really fun to see and although there weren't as many particular algorithms and such to directly apply in Computer Science, it was a good starting point to the specialization.

By KARTHIKEYAN G N

Aug 20, 2018

Good course.

I gave a 4-star instead of 5 just because of the pace of the lessons. felt it could be bit slower and with more examples, specially in sections related to logic(if-then-else, reductio ad absurdum & permutations & cycles).

By Abhinav K

The Interactive Puzzles are the way forward in such kind of Educational Platforms. Having some prior experience in Data structures and Algorithms , I was impressed by the relevance of the material discussed and the context provided.

By Praveen K R

Oct 19, 2018

The course is structured well but we need more explanation for the last week lecture. And more topics inside logic section. The assignment had really helped me in understanding the course.

By Kristen P

Jan 27, 2020

I applaud the instructors for their efforts in explaining the concepts as they could be abstract and hard to explain in words! More examples to illustrate the concepts will be even more helpful!

By Md. H H S B

Apr 26, 2019

Contents are very good for starting.....

But the Teachers way of explaining is not up to the mark. I need to search in youTube or google for understanding any topic even watching the videos.

By Karan S

Apr 14, 2020

though i stuck somewhere but mentors was always there to assist you. really found this course interesting and very helpful. solved so much of tricky puzzles, Good course

By Kharissa F S

Jun 05, 2019

I loved the puzzles! Very interactive and made the course more enjoyable. Would love to see more puzzles as they can help reinforce the ideas explained in the course.

By sadaf s

May 22, 2020

Alexander Chen gave a hard time in last week, but i liked how in his lectures there were numerous cunning pop ups which made it impossible to get distracted

By Andrea M

Apr 10, 2020

Instructors are very knowledgeable and the lessons are usually helpful, but it's common for the explanations to contain errors or be unclear in some way.

By Toral S

Apr 27, 2020

The course contents were excellent, well designed. But towards the end of the course, things became confusing. Reviewing videos did not help.

By Phani S

Lectures have a piece of great knowledge about the subject but they lack a bit to explain it fluently.

Great course though. Enjoyed

By Marco F

Oct 18, 2019

It felt more like learning how to do puzzles rather than learning math. But maybe that was the objective and I didn't get it!

By Shubh B

May 04, 2020

The accent posed a problem in understanding the content. Otherwise, all the content and materials were superb.

By Jesse A C

May 18, 2019

Solid course. Lectures were sometimes jumbled and hard to understand, but overall it was well put-together.

By Sriram R

Mar 24, 2018

Simple explanations made math more easy to handle. Thanks to the prof's for timely responses in Forums.

By Adnan M

Apr 16, 2019

The course encourage you to start thinking, it's easy but can be first step towards thinking. :)

By yousef i o

Apr 05, 2020

There is Somethings that I found hard to understand during the explanations of some hard topics

By Aman K S

Apr 23, 2020

The only thing required is to allow learners to use any programming language instead of Python

By Marco M

I like the learn by doing approach but some more explanation would help.

A good course.

By Joseph A D

Dec 24, 2017

I enjoyed the course. I would like more depth or more clear explanations from A Shen.

By SWARNAPRATIM M

Oct 24, 2017

Good course.Great puzzles.A big thank you to the instructors.Thank you once again.