Back to Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science by University of California San Diego

4.4

Mathematical thinking is crucial in all areas of computer science: algorithms, bioinformatics, computer graphics, data science, machine learning, etc. In this course, we will learn the most important tools used in discrete mathematics: induction, recursion, logic, invariants, examples, optimality. We will use these tools to answer typical programming questions like: How can we be certain a solution exists? Am I sure my program computes the optimal answer? Do each of these objects meet the given requirements? In the course, we use a try-this-before-we-explain-everything approach: you will be solving many interactive (and mobile friendly) puzzles that were carefully designed to allow you to invent many of the important ideas and concepts yourself. Prerequisites: 1. We assume only basic math (e.g., we expect you to know what is a square or how to add fractions), common sense and curiosity. 2. Basic programming knowledge is necessary as some quizzes require programming in Python....

AD

Mar 26, 2019

The teachers are informative and good. They explain the topic in a way that we can easily understand. The slides provide all the information that is needed. The external tools are fun and informative.

CW

Feb 02, 2020

I loved this course! So many interesting things to think about, thoughtfully explained by brilliant instructors. The puzzles really get you thinking. Such genius to put them before the lectures!

251 - 275 of 306 Reviews for Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science

By Aren T

Nov 20, 2019

An excellent warm-up course to the world of discrete mathematics.

By Suraj K

This course has very good content. And very good for beginners.

By Arnav J

grate course help me improve in logic building

By arsalan k

Dec 27, 2018

The audio feels "too mechanical" sometimes

By Islam W E

May 22, 2020

The part of 15 puzzle was disappointed.

By Alberto B

Oct 23, 2019

Good concepts to know and nice examples

By Ketan V

The instructors were not clear enough.

By CHIRANJEEV A

May 08, 2020

The Course was excellent. I loved it.

By Amer A

Sep 15, 2019

very useful and impressive

By Aryan B

Jul 12, 2020

Quite good for beginners!

By AMEY G

Feb 02, 2019

very good

By Nguyen K T

Jun 27, 2019

good

By Sebastian M

Mar 29, 2020

I definitely learned a thing or two about types of proofs, but this class could have been constructed much better. The biggest flaw was that even after going through the entire course, the professors only rarely connected the material to computer science, despite the course being called "Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science". I appreciate their approach of "solve puzzle" -> "learn about relevant proof to be able more efficiently solve similar puzzles" but the course would be better if they tied each concept into computer science / algorithms etc at the end of each section. Beyond that, there are some general course construction issues. The professors often make mistakes in the videos, but rather than actually fix the videos, they just put a comment screen over the video pointing out the error. Speaking of the comment screens, they often ask questions relevant to the lecture, but they cover the whole screen and you can't actually see the content they are asking about, so you have to skip the question, go back, and then let the comment screen appear again before you can reasonably attempt to answer the question; this is an annoying process. To improve this, the content needed to answer each question should be shown within the comment screen itself.

By Ricardo Z

Apr 21, 2020

The course content was good, I've learned new things and remembered others. Was nice to practice Math and use all those concepts to solve puzzles and understand the origins of lots of stuff. But the content of the course was not sufficient to me to understand every proposal assignments or content. I had to look others explanations on Youtube/articles to get a better understanding. I think you guys could work more on the explanations. A few times I had to play the videos more than three times to get what you were saying.

By Steven W

Dec 03, 2017

This course is pretty great. You get to play with puzzles thats always fun. I think the course could use some refinement. The material feels a little unfocused. What I'd like is for the course to be focused on induction fundamentally. As a learner I want to be introduced to the concept of induction, build skills in applying induction and, develop intuition in reasoning about induction. The course ends up being a sampler for the rest of the courses in the series and, I think it's worse off because that.

By Dimitry K

Feb 19, 2020

Material is good, but some of the explanations were very clunky and hard to comprehend. Really missed some smoother connections from topic to topic. The quality of explanations are very uneven between the lecturers. Some were excellent, while others - not so much.

Still, I enjoyed the course, and it was a good introduction to mathematical thinking, as the creators intended, I hope.

By Aryan R

Jul 05, 2020

There are some problems with the third-party tool for this course, maybe it would be better off to use quizzes BUT I appreciate the use of puzzles as a complement to this course. The instructors are enthusiastic and knowledgeable. More emphasis can be given on simpler ways to put forward the ideas without tough use of mathematical terms. All in all, this was a good course.

By Akash s

The course was engaging and comprehensive yet a lot of the topics mentioned, especially in the last week, were not explained at all - for example, Big O Notation and time complexity. Moreover, there was an immense disparity between the difficulty in the problems that were to be solved as coursework and the bonus track.

By Animesh P S

Jun 23, 2020

It's hard to cope up with someone who didn't study math in the past. Course content is not sufficient according to the problem sets. I had to look for references to the video and then would understand everything completely. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend it for a non-math person

By Aditya D

Jun 14, 2020

The course material is great! Also the way the course was planned is commendable. The course instructors especially Prof Alexander Shen are hard to understand most of the times when they explain a certain concept. The explanations by instructors need to improve.

By Mohamed A J

Dec 08, 2018

It's a very stimulating course, though not caring for students much. The material sometimes should elaborate more on concepts, say in week 6, it should've been clearer to student what are permutations in a clearer sense.