Back to Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science by University of California San Diego

4.4

Mathematical thinking is crucial in all areas of computer science: algorithms, bioinformatics, computer graphics, data science, machine learning, etc. In this course, we will learn the most important tools used in discrete mathematics: induction, recursion, logic, invariants, examples, optimality. We will use these tools to answer typical programming questions like: How can we be certain a solution exists? Am I sure my program computes the optimal answer? Do each of these objects meet the given requirements? In the course, we use a try-this-before-we-explain-everything approach: you will be solving many interactive (and mobile friendly) puzzles that were carefully designed to allow you to invent many of the important ideas and concepts yourself. Prerequisites: 1. We assume only basic math (e.g., we expect you to know what is a square or how to add fractions), common sense and curiosity. 2. Basic programming knowledge is necessary as some quizzes require programming in Python....

AD

Mar 26, 2019

The teachers are informative and good. They explain the topic in a way that we can easily understand. The slides provide all the information that is needed. The external tools are fun and informative.

CW

Feb 02, 2020

I loved this course! So many interesting things to think about, thoughtfully explained by brilliant instructors. The puzzles really get you thinking. Such genius to put them before the lectures!

276 - 300 of 306 Reviews for Mathematical Thinking in Computer Science

By Omar G

Jul 27, 2020

The course material is great but they should improve the explanations and practice what they go to say before film the lessons. Making too many mistakes while explaining math concepts ends up confusing the students.

By Naveen R

Jul 28, 2020

It certainly was an intriguing course, and there were good puzzles which I have liked. However, I felt a little disappointed because the class ended so abruptly, and I am not sure how much new math I have learned.

By Filip C

Очень уважаю Александра Шень, учился по его учебнику, очень нравится его манера преподносить материал. Однако очень разочаровали остальные лекторы. (Уровень английского, материал и манера преподавания)

By Sumit A G

Jun 05, 2018

The lectures were really good, however explanation of more exercises would be a bit helpful as the videos are fairly short, I had problem understanding some of them due to limited number of examples.

By yk

Mar 26, 2020

The material was interesting however the instructor Alexander Chen was incomprehensible. He was unable to verbalize a thought or explanation without sounding nonsensical.

By Novak D

Mar 31, 2020

I wish it went a bit more in-depth. I also wish there were more examples to practice. Overall, however, it was a good course, I have learned a lot.

By M. A

Jul 17, 2020

In order to complete this class, you need experience in programming and problem solving using a programming language.

By Nitish

Apr 20, 2020

It's really very interesting course. I hope you all enjoy this course.

logical and interesting subject.

By Neeraj G

Feb 10, 2020

The course was very basic for me when I compared the material with the book of Discrete Mathematics

By Ambarish B

Aug 24, 2019

The lectures aren't good and the assignments are not well explained as to what we need to do.

By Hearan

Sep 17, 2019

The quiz were all very interesting, but sometimes it was hard to understand the lecturers...

By Trần C L

Oct 19, 2019

Good course with many interesting quizzes although it is lacking of clear explanation

By Megui

Apr 23, 2020

Last 3 weeks were not engaging at all, the first 3 were amazing (my opinion)

By sathyamoorthi M

Jun 09, 2020

Good explanations .Last two weeks aren't clear enough to understand.

By Shambhav A

Aug 03, 2020

lectures, particularly by alexander vhen, were good!

By Jamil R

language is not clear always ..it can be better

By Joseph G R M

Jul 29, 2020

I didn't understand clearly the use of proof

By Jyh1003040

Jun 17, 2020

The course is fun!

By DELA C J K (

Mar 25, 2020

HARD

By Evgeny B

Jun 24, 2020

I will try to be objective here. I really liked the puzzles. They are very well implemented and help with understanding of the material. But this is the only thing I liked about the course. These puzzles really make up for the poor quality of the professors. Michael Levin and Alexander Shen possess an amazing quality to make even 2 minute videos simply unbearable. If you want to experience a real Soviet school style, you should definitely try try this course. Both explanations and assignments are very poorly formulated. The professors simply show you the slides and read the text from it. This is by far the worst course I took on Coursera.

By Aaron A

Jun 06, 2020

A lot of sections were not explained really well. I had a hard time following the concepts.

By Matthew T E

Apr 27, 2020

Some interesting ideas, but course delivery and content needs a lot of work.

By Ramkumar

Apr 22, 2020

i don't know how this course is going to help in computer scien

By Luis M V F

Jan 10, 2020

This course lacks of mathematical foundations.