Back to What is news?

Learner Reviews & Feedback for What is news? by Michigan State University

This course will guide you through the basic elements of professional journalism and the news values and ethics of covering real-world issues and events. The overview and examples of the types of news coverage helps introduce the different types of journalism, such as social media, multimedia, print, visual and broadcast, and how professional journalists effectively use each format....

DZ

Jan 03, 2017

Great course! I will most likely continue to take this series of courses! The professors/teachers are great, and can help when needed. The courses are simple and easy to use. Overall, great course!

CA

Feb 28, 2016

Excellent course material and good learner participation. I think a stronger instructor presence will round it off nicely (even if only in the forums). Great presentation Mr Grimm!

1 - 25 of 113 Reviews for What is news?

By Moira J

Mar 25, 2019

Best way to get into Journalism!

By Siddharth B

s

e

By Chloe D

Dec 17, 2018

I like that this course starts from the very basics. It can be difficult to jump into a subject with which you are not at all familiar. The resources mentioned in this course were also very helpful. The only thing I would suggest is that the spoken content does not always match the content that appears on the screen during the video lectures.

By GOODLUCK M

Feb 22, 2019

great course

By Kwadjo A

Mar 04, 2019

very good and interesting course. I love it

By Pierre V

Mar 02, 2019

Very good

By bibhu k

Mar 15, 2019

It's nice,

By C L

Dec 06, 2018

Great course and very informative!

By Iaroslava S

Mar 30, 2019

This course is just awesome and I'm glad I was a part of this unique learning experience! I would love to thank all the instructors. Many thanks for creating and supporting this course!

It' s not only about giving information to learners but also for keeping them inspired. Plutarch said, that the mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be kindled and I feel like that's how teachers in this course also see the educational process. This course (even it's just a first part of big specialization) already helped me to find my own way in journalism and I will be taking next courses of this specialization, for sure.

Students, it you hesitate about enrolling this course, don't hesitate, just do it!

By Enno L

Dec 12, 2018

Beginner friendly, NICE course!

By James F C

May 10, 2017

The course gave me some valuable background and context about the field of journalism. I'm happy with my day job, for now, yet hope to develop a sideline or second career in journalism, specializing in writing about the environment, science, and bioethics. In the process of completing the course, I developed some ideas for stories that I can

By firas

May 29, 2016

I like it so much , thanks

By Kristel V

May 08, 2018

It has been really useful and informative to learn from knowledgeable teachers, and very enriching to have classmates from such diverse places.

Thank you!

Kristel Villalobos

By Marie V

Jun 11, 2016

This was a great opening course. It had a lot of details on how to be a responsible reporter.

By Li Y N

May 04, 2016

Video classes

By Akinwande H

Apr 28, 2016

I found much enthusiasm in this course really!

By Monika P

May 07, 2016

This is 1 of 5 courses under Specialization for Journalism. I take the Specialization by installment payment (pay per each course). I found this course explains clearly on the general standards and the noble encouraging purpose and application on what journalism is all about. It is very informative to me and I am happy that I choose this Specialization and looking forward to learn the next lesson.

By Barbara K

Nov 02, 2016

Very informative, perfectly summarized introduction to journalism.

By Liliam G P M

Feb 07, 2018

Awesome course!

By Evans K M

Sep 27, 2016

I rate this course 5 star because lectures are easy to understand.

By Crystal Q C

Jun 20, 2016

Excellent course! Especially for people like me who are not majoring in journalism but always long to pursue journalism study in graduate school ! Journalism is so charming and thank all the teachers and Coursera works for presenting such a wonderful course for me. Thanks!

By Sarah E

Mar 28, 2016

Easy to follow and really good advice, which automatically reminds one why one wants to become a Journalist.

By Sela J A

May 17, 2016

I really enjoyed this introduction to journalism with lecturers from Michigan State University. I really like the video lectures as well as the added readings. It makes it feel like I am a student without needing to be at a campus. The videos are great! Each lecturer gives great explanations in such a short video making it easy to absorb the information. Highly recommend for those who definitely want to take the route of a journalist.

By Jinsong O

Apr 10, 2016

Through this course I could understand basics of journal

By Gian F M

Apr 03, 2016

Great course! Some assingments are too easy, though. We might learn more of the material if they get a bit more challenging.