Back to The Addicted Brain

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Addicted Brain by Emory University

This is a course about addiction to drugs and other behaviors. It will describe what happens in the brain and how this information helps us deal with and overcome addiction. It will also discuss other topics, such as government policy and our vulnerability to take drugs....

ER
Jul 23, 2020

One of the best course. Before I took up this course I have negative feelings towards the drugs addicts. But this course completely change my behavior and opinions towards them. Thank you so much.

CP
Apr 1, 2018

I learned a lot from this course that I have been able to use in a ministry capacity. If you are trying to help others with addiction or understand it for yourself, this is the course for you.

476 - 483 of 483 Reviews for The Addicted Brain

By Jason E

Aug 15, 2015

Very informative but very dry presentations.

By Cornelia M

May 11, 2021

I wondered why Prof Kuhar offered that course as he did not seem interested or motivated.There are lots of videos that last only 4 or 5 minutes and still they contain numerous repetitions of the same fact and summaries of past videos and the current one. Some basic things were explained in great detail while more complex ones were just named, so I had to look them up on the internet. In his videos Kuhar refers again and again to other sources that participants should use to learn more. The reading recommendations at the end of every week invariably list Kuhar’s book, which is also called The Addicted Brain and that you have to buy as you cannot access it here. I wondered if selling that book was the main motivation to offer that course. It did not come as a surprise that this course if one of those where you can only access the quizzes every week to control your progress if you have paid for the course.

What really disturbed me was that he is still claiming that opioid medication does not create addiction if it is prescribed by a doctor and taken as prescribed. There is a raging opioid crisis in USA mainly because the Sackler family pretended that their Oxycontin would not cause addiction. Doctors believed that with the result of hundreds of thousands of addicted patients, many of whom died from unvoluntary overdoses. How can a professor of pharmacology ignore that dangerous and deadly lie that made the Sackler’s billions of dollars. Criminal charges are pending as we speak? Whose interests does he represent? All in all it seems to me that you learn more facts and get more reliable information about the addicted brain if you simply research on the internet on your own.

By Yang G

Feb 28, 2016

yeah i would give zero if possible. very shallow and general, cannot learn much from it. if u want a course about neuroscience there's way better course than this. what the hell emory? what hte hell coursera? i feel less and less sincerity in coursera's mooc these days. edx is doing a much better job in my perspective.

By Alex W

Feb 2, 2016

If possible, I would give this course zero stars. It provides an incredibly closed minded view towards all topics and provides very minimal factual information. The makers of this course, and especially the instructor, obviously have had very little to no experience of any kind with most of the topics they discuss.

By Mirghavamaddin B

Jun 2, 2020

When I enrolled I thought that it was free. But after complaining the first week’s work and doing the homework, it will not grade me until I upgrade. Either I missed something or this was very deceiving on your part.

By Gloria V

Nov 15, 2020

There is no way to finish the course unless you pay.

I attended this course only for personal interests, I don´t need it for my profession.

By Екатерина С