Back to Algorithmic Toolbox

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Algorithmic Toolbox by University of California San Diego

The course covers basic algorithmic techniques and ideas for computational problems arising frequently in practical applications: sorting and searching, divide and conquer, greedy algorithms, dynamic programming. We will learn a lot of theory: how to sort data and how it helps for searching; how to break a large problem into pieces and solve them recursively; when it makes sense to proceed greedily; how dynamic programming is used in genomic studies. You will practice solving computational problems, designing new algorithms, and implementing solutions efficiently (so that they run in less than a second)....

SG

Jan 20, 2017

I liked the fact that the algorithms are not just the introductory searching and sorting algorithms. The assignments are fairly difficult (I have decent scripting experience), but not impossibly so.

MM

Sep 29, 2017

good course, I like the fact you can use a lot of languages for you programming exercises, the content is really helpful, I would like to have more indications from the grading system to save time.

1201 - 1225 of 1,622 Reviews for Algorithmic Toolbox

By To P H

Sep 03, 2018

Content of this course is very good for fundamental algorithm work. I have learnt a lot

In the divide and conquer section, nevertheless, I found the lecturer speaking quite fast and it would def help is he can explain things in more details using more layman terms

By Matthew S

Aug 08, 2016

An excellent and methodical approach to learning algorithms and their related data structures (as well as appreciating the value and importance of efficient computing). Also a great refresher even if you have had formal training in Data Structures and Algorithms.

By cesar c

May 09, 2018

Aún no logro comprender cuál es el beneficio para los instructores en no mostrar el input/data cuando un test-case falla, eso me hubiera ayudado a encontrar las soluciones más rápido, además en el mundo real, el input siempre es conocido. Por lo demás, muy bien.

By Thales A K N

Jun 26, 2020

I wish it had some kind of introductory course to it, I know it's not the most advanced one, but I still had a harder time to complete things than I thought! This also might be the whole point of it, but overall the course is very complete and thrilling to do!

By Chris

Aug 25, 2017

Overall great course and challenging programming assignments. My only critique is that some of the lectures (especially dynamic programming lesson) were difficult to follow. A little more attention to the delivery of the lectures would have been helpful.

By Sharvari D

Feb 05, 2018

I have found this course useful. It cleared my basics and I was finally able to overcome the fear of coding. However, I found that the video lectures were a little tough to understand and too straightforward. Rest, I can I say I have learnt a lot. Thanks!

By Tian P

Dec 18, 2017

The course offers a good overview of some of the major algorithms. The programming assignments are designed really well. I wish the lecture of some parts could be more elaborate, such as change money and edit distance. I really enjoy Alexander's sections.

By LAKSH C

Jun 07, 2020

There were great explanations and perfect problems regarding each topic I can definitely say that my programming skills have improved with this! Thanks a lot!

The only complaint I have is that some of the professors accents are kind of hard to understand.

By Khotov L K

Jul 13, 2016

Everything is awesome except a minor mismatch between Niel Rhodes's and Alexander Kulikov's presentations in Week 4. Although Prof. Rhodes prooved Master Theorem in the first half of the Week, Prof. Kulikov didn't use it estimating algorithms asymtotics.

By Jim J J

Aug 17, 2017

The assignments are of great standards and is challenging which is great for a learner. The videos and the materials are of not much help to understand the concepts in detail and often have to rely on simpler You tube videos to understand the concepts.

By Kurt W

May 18, 2016

Testing cases are claimed to be generated randomly, in that way why can't we get the random test case to improve our result? Also, there is no example code after the course, if I didn't solve out the problem I may never have the chance to work it out.

By Rachana N A

Jan 24, 2017

Very Good course

All the concepts were explained very well, barring Dynamic Programming. That could have been a bit more detailed. The programming assignments were fun to solve. A must have course for people beginning their study in computer science.

By Mark K

Mar 28, 2016

Lectures were clear, for the most part, and the homeworks were fun and instructive. Material on dynamic programming might have been clearer. Also, notes and references to texts would have been helpful. Thanks for putting together a great course.

By Fabrice L

Oct 11, 2017

Very good course! A lot of practice and exercice, that is what I expected. Some of the lectures are difficult to understand, it mainly depend on which teacher is explaining. But I mostly they follow an example well chosen to represent a concept.

By Sandeep B K

Jun 11, 2016

First four weeks of the course were awesome,some exciting problems,insightful teaching but fifth week's content I felt were not up to the standards of first four weeks.Nonetheless it was great experience.Thank you instructors and course forum.

By Rachel P Y F

Apr 28, 2020

Awesome course which dives down into the basic computer science theory and mathematic fundamentals. I had a lot of fun with the programming assignments and learnt a lot from them. Ideally, I would appreciate a disclosure of the test cases.

By Karan

Jun 17, 2020

The course questions are phenomenal. The information provided is not very extensive but you can google any time. The accents do make it sometimes tougher to understand otherwise it is one of the best courses you can learn Algorithms from.

By Aditya S

Jul 04, 2020

Coursera, please develop your coding assignment submission process similar to codeforces or hackerrank, Uploading CPP file every time is very irritating, it would be great if you develop an online IDE through which we can submit our code

By David B

Mar 09, 2019

The material in the course is good, but the lectures only partially prepare you for the programming assignments. A lot of the learning is fairly self-directed. I would have liked a little bit more in the lectures, but I did learn a lot.

By Ahmed T F

Jul 04, 2020

i think the implementation with c++ will be more clear, and about some lectures i have search on google to understand that algorithm that shown only in lectures without explanation.

a lot of thanks to every one works on this course

By Priyanshu A

The course is oriented towards developing basic algorithmic thinking and skills. It's a great course for beginners.

The one thing that can be improved is to more it a bit more practice-oriented as in terms of programming questions.

By Tang

Jul 13, 2017

I took this course mostly because of the exercise problems, the problems are interesting and you can learn a lot, the lectures are good, but still rooms for improvement, so far so good, looking forward to the next course. Thanks!

By Luis M V F

Feb 04, 2020

This course has very challenging problems specially the last 3 weeks. I think that it could be better in the sense of explaining more deeply about dynamic programming, and it should also provide easier exercises for warming up.

By Henry G

Dec 02, 2019

Decent course, in the last couple of weeks the difficulty really picks up and the provided lectures are no longer really sufficient to figure things out, but as long as you know how to do your own research its still manageable.

By Ahmed E

Oct 07, 2019

It would be great if there is a session at the end of each lesson that illustrate the lesson through a problem in less academic way but overall the course is great and walks through very important problems

with great lecturers.