Back to Divide and Conquer, Sorting and Searching, and Randomized Algorithms

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Divide and Conquer, Sorting and Searching, and Randomized Algorithms by Stanford University

The primary topics in this part of the specialization are: asymptotic ("Big-oh") notation, sorting and searching, divide and conquer (master method, integer and matrix multiplication, closest pair), and randomized algorithms (QuickSort, contraction algorithm for min cuts)....

KS
Sep 13, 2018

Well researched. Topics covered well, with walkthrough for exam.le cases for each new introduced algorithm. Great experience, learned a lot of important algorithms and algorithmic thinking practices.

DT

Thank you for teaching me this course. I learned a lot of new things, including Divide-and-Conquer, MergeSort, QuickSort, and Randomization Algorithms, along with proof for their asymptotic runtime

26 - 50 of 847 Reviews for Divide and Conquer, Sorting and Searching, and Randomized Algorithms

By HAONAN L

Apr 18, 2020

it is really practical and give you the concept of what could make your program more efficient. Theorems have been explained in a very fundamental way that is easy to understand even for foreign students. Thanks!

By Dung N T

By Ivan

Sep 1, 2017

Amazing course. I learned a lot about algorithms, the implementation of algorithms, time complexity. I also learned a lot about being systematic and purposeful about including any line of code.

By Nikolaos E

Nov 7, 2016

Personally, I would recommend this course to anyone who really wants to learn how things work in that sort of algorithms. I found the assignments a little difficult, but also extremely helpful.

By Ferdinando I

Apr 24, 2020

I think the course is really good. Enough mathematics to make things more rigorous, but not too much that it is hard to follow (for a MOOC). The questions make you think about the material.

By Akshath M

Apr 23, 2020

Made notes, watched optional videos, re-watched the content till I understood and aced the tests! :)

It's fairly challenging but also do-able if you put your mind to it

By QJJ

Apr 25, 2020

Should really work hard to pass... But anyway, I appreciate the changes that the teacher brings to me. Really really a nice lesson the join!

By Deeksha S

Apr 28, 2020

Little bit tough but if you learn this honestly then you will gain much knowledge.

By Shikhir G

Apr 22, 2020

Brilliant course with proper explanations. Totally worth your time.

By Sankalp D

May 1, 2020

very truthful and everything thoroughly explained

By Jakub K

Apr 29, 2020

Very hard. Unique knowledge and skills.

By Vaibhav K

Apr 25, 2020

bets for analyzing the algorithm

By Parsa N

Apr 29, 2020

Interesting course and huge amount of knowledge

By Anguzu V J

Apr 30, 2020

i loved it so much

By Cole C

Jan 14, 2021

For someone not coming from a math background, this course was really difficult. I'm already a software engineer but wanted to bolster my CS background, but there is almost no real-world application or real-world knowledge in this course. It's almost 80% pointless mathematical proofs. Instead of learning when to apply a certain type of algorithm tool, you have some professor using big words and doing math proofs the whole time. Huge waste of time in my opinion as almost none of that stuff is used in real software engineering.

By Farrukh M

Jan 1, 2019

Very basic. Only good for people without CS degree.

By Maxim A

Apr 9, 2021

I didn't like the course as tutor not looking to educate, but rather to show off how smart he is.

For instance, by using different wording like: "bird-eye view" - why you can't just say bigger picture? "culminating" - why you can't say finalizing?

What is the value of following statement? "The sequence of steps should strike you as very mysterious, like pulling a rabbit out of a hat"

Why I should read it? To waste my time?

Why you need to complicate following statement? "The key point to appreciate now is that there’s a dazzling array of options for solving computational problems like integer multiplication."

Why you can't just say "multiple ways to solve one problem"?

Why you overload me with unnecessary statements? To sell me air?

Also, if you are such a great expert in algorithms why you can't find the algorithm to fix baldness of your head? Show us your expertise or you just bragging? In fact you saying it yourself: "Even evolution can be thought of as a surprisingly effective search algorithm." Why you can't use algorithms and solve your baldness? Because you are incompetent?

Also, the slides. What is the point of making slides full of text? Why I can't just read book instead? Why I need your slides? You needed to fill somehow the space called slides?

Quickly and recklessly tried to fill the gaps?

IMO, tutor just using coursera to sell their useless books to earn some cash.

I can't even unenroll from the course.

If I would be able to give negative stars I would do so.

By Z T

Oct 2, 2020

I had high hopes for this course, given a rating of 4.8 stars. I made the mistake of enrolling in the class without reading the reviews.

The instructor is, frankly, not excellent at explaining concepts. Even though I had already known most of the materials taught in week 1, I still had trouble understanding the instructor. I am quite disappointed. Having completed week 1, I figured unenrolling the course would be the best option for me.

Lesson learned: ACTUALLY read the reviews (particularly the ones with low ratings) before enrolling in any classes.

By Ivan Y J

Jul 26, 2020

As an auditing student it is extremely difficult to access course content ahead of time. I have finished my week 1 contents but cannot go forward to week 2.

By Alireza K

Feb 3, 2021

Note-taking was not possible.

The speaker speaks so fast.

The instructor does not explain simply, rather closer to being unnecessarily complicated.

By Ashutosh P

Mar 19, 2021

Poor teaching methodology of instructor!!!

By Tony A Z

Jan 29, 2021

not engaging enough!

Jun 1, 2020

time waste

By Dhananjay S

Mar 30, 2021

This is really not so easy course , i understood after completing the course. I am beginner and from beginner's perspective this is really hard course because in assignments i was taking 8 days and in the last assignment (WEEK-4) ,i took whooping 18 days because i didn't had knowledge of data structure which was very much required to do karger min-cut algorithm.But in the end this course is really pushing you to stretch your thinking capabilities and this is really very good because to figure out about something which you don't have any idea is really mind-boggling ,also it's very frustating but after the problem is done we feel like we have won battle and that feeling is invincible.Tim is not really spoon feeder that's why for 9 minutes video i had to give 3 hours ,this happened may be because i am beginner or the course itself is hard.In the end i thank Professor Tim Roughgarden for creating such amazing course which forces people to think for days in order to solve assignments.Thank you Tim once again.

By Nadim H

Sep 11, 2017

Challenging and highly informative course. Professor Roughgarden has a concise and candid lecturing style that I found easy and pleasant to follow.

Make sure you're comfortable with one programming language, and have some experience in writing programs. There is a lot of math, and while not super advanced, make sure you've brushed up on: logarithmic identities, infinite sums, and counting (permutations and combinations). The course dives into some probability, but Professor Roughgarden will walk you through some optional (and very instructive) review lectures.

I'm looking to finishing the specialization, but I'll take some time off to review my discrete mathematics, and strengthen my programming first. This is my first MOOCS course, and I'm hoping all my future experiences will be as great. I highly recommend the course and Professor Roughgarden's lectures.