Back to Divide and Conquer, Sorting and Searching, and Randomized Algorithms

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Divide and Conquer, Sorting and Searching, and Randomized Algorithms by Stanford University

The primary topics in this part of the specialization are: asymptotic ("Big-oh") notation, sorting and searching, divide and conquer (master method, integer and matrix multiplication, closest pair), and randomized algorithms (QuickSort, contraction algorithm for min cuts)....

KS
Sep 13, 2018

Well researched. Topics covered well, with walkthrough for exam.le cases for each new introduced algorithm. Great experience, learned a lot of important algorithms and algorithmic thinking practices.

DT

Thank you for teaching me this course. I learned a lot of new things, including Divide-and-Conquer, MergeSort, QuickSort, and Randomization Algorithms, along with proof for their asymptotic runtime

76 - 100 of 841 Reviews for Divide and Conquer, Sorting and Searching, and Randomized Algorithms

By Jonathon P

Oct 8, 2018

I am a professional software engineer and I've made it through week 3 of this course so far. The lectures are well done, easy to follow, and it feels like a 1-on-1 tutoring session with one of the world's top professors.

I already feel like I have grown as an engineer after implementing merge sort to find array inversions (among other exercises and assignments). I can't wait to see what's next!

By Ashish D S

Aug 1, 2018

Excellent course on Algorithms. I have done few UCSD algorithm courses before (I equally liked them as well), this course is more focused on Mathematical part. Programming assignments are probably simpler as compared to UCSD course but quiz are hard and requires considerable knowledge of probability and combinatorics. Better to do this course after some basic course on discrete mathematics.

By Matt C

Nov 9, 2017

Absolutely not what I expected. The instructor is excellent, you can tell his passion about what he is teaching and he presents it great. That being said, this course is way more difficult than what I expected, so be prepared to put in some time and effort to get the most out of it. The material definitely stuck, I'll never look at algorithms the same way again, that's for sure1

By Sam S

Mar 27, 2020

A very thorough and rigorous beginning to algorithms. Professor Roughgarden does an excellent job walking through everything in a clear and succinct fashion. There isn't too much programming needed, but it can be tricky if you aren't familiar with how to operate on various data types. A good understanding of high school math (algebra in particular) will help you in this course.

By GongPing

Jun 11, 2017

These lectures are incredibly mind-blowing, full of insights for algorithm designs and valuable suggestions. This course is really a great enjoyment to follow, because the lectures & quiz & programming assignments are so well arranged! Wish I had took this lectures earlier. Thank you very much Prof Tim Roughgardern for providing the world with such an excellence on-line course!

By kumar d

Apr 21, 2018

This is the best thing to happen for learning algorithms (close second would be the book by steven skiena). This course took me 13 years back to my college 2nd year when I fell in love with algorithms. This is like living your first love all over again. Thank you professor Roughgarden, and I hope you create another course with advanced algorithms with latest developments.

By Stefan T I

Dec 25, 2016

This course offers one of the best introductions to reasoning about algorithms in a mathematical way. However, it is not just theory, it also gives you practical advise and forces you to polish up your programming skills as well by implementing some of the most useful and popular algorithms for sorting and similar applications in whatever language you wish.

By Md A R

Apr 8, 2018

The course is awesome. But the video quality could be improved specially those with echos. It would help concentrating. I have completed algorithm as a undergraduate course and this course is to revisit those area where I had some minor weakness. And this course really helped me building an strong understanding on those points. Overall experience is good.

By Stefanos L

Oct 31, 2017

Very well structured. The lecturer/resources/customizable speed etc are excelllent. I only found the programming assignments too difficult (especially the 4th one) and I had to revert (more than I wanted) to internet sources to do them (or it, especially the 4th one). In contrast, the quizzes were too easy. Perhaps personal taste. Excellent work overall.

By Haitham S

Jun 17, 2020

The course is very well designed. It is programming language agnostic and this allows you to focus on the actual content and learn the way to approach algorithms. Also, the approach the professor takes makes the material more approachable for people coming from different backgrounds! Thanks to Coursera, Stanford University and Professor Tim Roughgarden!

By Xiaodi Z

Apr 7, 2021

Overall a good course and the instructor explains the concepts clearly. The only issue is that the hand writing of the instructor is hard to read, which makes it hard to follow while watching the video. Good news is that the course provides typed slides with all formulas. I would recommend open the typed slides while watching the video.

By Peter P

Jul 6, 2020

The teacher is excellent and explained the course very well. I like that the material is concise and straight to the point and offer high level of concepts that is easy to understand. I appreciate that the professor doesn't spoon feed every little detail information so that the student would get a chance to think and fill in the gaps!

By Eric R

Mar 3, 2021

This is the 3rd algorithms course I've taken and easily my favorite so far. Professor Roughgarden does an excellent job explaining the concepts behind the algorithm without getting lost in the technical details. I'd suggest taking the supplemental lectures if you want a deeper understanding of the material, but they aren't necessary.

By Vishwas D

Oct 8, 2020

First, I would like to thanks a team of Stanford for allowing and approving my financial aid for this course. While waiting for the approval I visited the videos and I completed this course in a day. I sincerely thank the team Stanford for arranging such a wisdomic platform for learning the best tools from the Stanford experts.

By Feiyu L

Apr 23, 2018

Now I truly understand how to think of algorithm in terms with Recursion applying Divide and Conquer, and how to use Master method to prove an algorithm's complexity. Even though it is more rigorous then what is required for a software interview or engineering project, having the exposure of theory is better than not having it.

By Aditya k

Jun 19, 2018

This is an amazing course focusing on some of the important fundamentals required to design the right algorithm to a problem statement. Prof. Tim Roughgarden does a fantastic job in explaining the concepts and catching the attention of the students, while not making the course boring. Thanks Courseera for hosting this course.

By Sivaramakrishnan

Mar 25, 2020

I came here from the stanford Lagunita course with the same material. It's an understatement to say that I had quite a FUN time. Wonderfully laid out course structure and sometimes a bit lightweight (rightly so) course material. Highly recommend for people with non-CS background. Great (evergreen) intro course to Algorithms!

By Rui C

Oct 22, 2017

Really good course on divide and conquer algorithm design approaches. It's a good introduction to the subject of algorithms. The book written from the course and on sale on amazon is a really good support to the videos. It is a clean up transcript with further additions to the material covered and it's well worth the buying.

By Sangeet M D

May 31, 2017

I always had my doubt on whether to choose which course on Algorithm in coursera, The Princeton one or the Stanford one. Though I can weight one above the other, but the flow is which the Stanford one proceed is the best for any lower Intermediate level student to wants to learn the upper fundamentals of Algorithm Analysis.

By Dustin Z

Sep 23, 2019

A very good course. More challenging than the machine learning courses I have taken because there is more math and the programming assignments are less directed, but that was a plus as I grew more in my critical thinking and programming skills because I needed to solve the problems on my own. Very happy with this course.

By Hagen T

Feb 22, 2018

This is an excellent course on algorithms, that has given me a deeper understanding of the subject.

I am a theoretical physicist using this course as preparation for coding interviews, and the speed, amount of rigor and optional material (the optional theory problems in particular) feel perfect for my learning effort.

By Md. F K

Sep 27, 2019

At first, the course may look too fast-paced, but after one or two videos, ample explanations would disabuse oneself of that idea. Highly resourceful lectures, challenging quizzes, and optional problems make this course quite an elegant one. One of my favorite courses. Looking forward to completing the specialization.

By Zhao J

Dec 28, 2017

It's just great! The professor is humorous and fantastic! I really love this course, and it had helped me get started in algorithms and data structures. After finishing this course, I have read some part (part I to part IV) of the CLRS book and learned even more! Believe me, this is a good course and worth your time.

By Limber

Oct 31, 2017

A really helpful course that help me to dive deep into the algorithms world. The prof is really nice. I thought the book he has wrote is really benefit for my study. I have over 5 years coding experience but it is still hard for me to get that. Some algorithms assignments are really interesting. It's time worthy.

By Masashi M

Nov 14, 2016

I was very amazed with his really good lectures. Especially proving each algorithm's correctness and performance was very interesting and stimulated my curiosity. I also need to note that optional videos for probability helped me a lot to understand this course. I would like to recommend my friends definitely.