Back to Divide and Conquer, Sorting and Searching, and Randomized Algorithms

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Divide and Conquer, Sorting and Searching, and Randomized Algorithms by Stanford University

The primary topics in this part of the specialization are: asymptotic ("Big-oh") notation, sorting and searching, divide and conquer (master method, integer and matrix multiplication, closest pair), and randomized algorithms (QuickSort, contraction algorithm for min cuts)....

KS

Sep 13, 2018

Well researched. Topics covered well, with walkthrough for exam.le cases for each new introduced algorithm. Great experience, learned a lot of important algorithms and algorithmic thinking practices.

DT

Thank you for teaching me this course. I learned a lot of new things, including Divide-and-Conquer, MergeSort, QuickSort, and Randomization Algorithms, along with proof for their asymptotic runtime

26 - 50 of 954 Reviews for Divide and Conquer, Sorting and Searching, and Randomized Algorithms

By Atul S A

Aug 22, 2018

Dear Prof Tim Roughgarden

I have been watching your lecture videos while taking my meals. When I do this for other courses, either I have to take out a piece of paper and scribble things to understand or they turn out to be so boring (for me) that I have to change. This course of yours was pitched at the perfect level. This is not to say the material was easy. There were so many wonderful ideas that you almost playfully conveyed with essentially zero effort required on the part of the learner. It often happens that people that understand things very well are also unable to express them to lesser mortals. You are an exception.

I must admit that I simply audited the course so I can't make any comments about the exercises.

I look forward to learning more from you. Thank you for taking the time for putting all this together. Hope you're enjoying/enjoyed your sabbatical.

Atul

By Dung N T

By Varad P

Apr 27, 2020

Professor Tim is an amazing instructor, and he explained all those elegant proofs in a brief and concise manner. I really enjoyed this course and certainly felt my IQ level going above roof ! :P

By Kamil K

Oct 5, 2017

Not practical enough, too academical approach for me.

By Wai C C

Aug 22, 2020

Too few examples but too many verbal explanations.

By Moushumi P

May 25, 2021

This course should be named VERY HIGH-LEVEL overview of algorithms. I could get a much deeper understanding by googling the terms like merge sort, bubble sort, etc., and reading blogs than from the videos of this course. The logic is not explained clearly at all, most parts are skipped that too in a condescending way as if 'that's basic if you don't even know that, God help you.' I had only about a week to prepare for my interview and I have wasted half my day in this course. I do not recommend it to anyone. I recommend Princeton's course on the same (no certificate on that one though but HUGELY better understanding) over this one. A great teacher is not the one who's super knowledgeable and is able to flash his understanding at you (while teaching you nothing) a great teacher is the one who takes you to the same level of understanding as his own by being your guide. If at all, this course may be helpful to those who already are familiar with Algorithms but are rusty and need a refresher.

By Ivan Y J

Jul 26, 2020

As an auditing student it is extremely difficult to access course content ahead of time. I have finished my week 1 contents but cannot go forward to week 2.

By Alireza K

Feb 3, 2021

Note-taking was not possible.

The speaker speaks so fast.

The instructor does not explain simply, rather closer to being unnecessarily complicated.

By Ashutosh P

Mar 19, 2021

Poor teaching methodology of instructor!!!

By Tony A Z

Jan 29, 2021

not engaging enough!

Jun 1, 2020

time waste

By Coco Z

Apr 7, 2021

Overall a good course and the instructor explains the concepts clearly. The only issue is that the hand writing of the instructor is hard to read, which makes it hard to follow while watching the video. Good news is that the course provides typed slides with all formulas. I would recommend open the typed slides while watching the video.

By Peter P

Jul 6, 2020

The teacher is excellent and explained the course very well. I like that the material is concise and straight to the point and offer high level of concepts that is easy to understand. I appreciate that the professor doesn't spoon feed every little detail information so that the student would get a chance to think and fill in the gaps!

By Jonathan M

Apr 24, 2020

This is a very informative course that provides a rigorous introduction to algorithms. Probably one of the better MOOCs I have taken so far in terms of what I learned. The videos do a great job of not just presenting the concepts but also explaining the mathematical reason behind the approaches presented.

By HAONAN L

Apr 18, 2020

it is really practical and give you the concept of what could make your program more efficient. Theorems have been explained in a very fundamental way that is easy to understand even for foreign students. Thanks!

By Ivan

Sep 1, 2017

Amazing course. I learned a lot about algorithms, the implementation of algorithms, time complexity. I also learned a lot about being systematic and purposeful about including any line of code.

By Nikolaos E

Nov 7, 2016

Personally, I would recommend this course to anyone who really wants to learn how things work in that sort of algorithms. I found the assignments a little difficult, but also extremely helpful.

By Ferdinando I

Apr 24, 2020

I think the course is really good. Enough mathematics to make things more rigorous, but not too much that it is hard to follow (for a MOOC). The questions make you think about the material.

By Akshath M

Apr 23, 2020

Made notes, watched optional videos, re-watched the content till I understood and aced the tests! :)

It's fairly challenging but also do-able if you put your mind to it

By Jiajie Q

Apr 25, 2020

Should really work hard to pass... But anyway, I appreciate the changes that the teacher brings to me. Really really a nice lesson the join!

By Deeksha S

Apr 28, 2020

Little bit tough but if you learn this honestly then you will gain much knowledge.

By Shikhir G

Apr 22, 2020

Brilliant course with proper explanations. Totally worth your time.

By Sankalp D

May 1, 2020

very truthful and everything thoroughly explained

By Jakub K

Apr 29, 2020

Very hard. Unique knowledge and skills.

By Vaibhav K

Apr 25, 2020

bets for analyzing the algorithm