Back to Divide and Conquer, Sorting and Searching, and Randomized Algorithms

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Divide and Conquer, Sorting and Searching, and Randomized Algorithms by Stanford University

The primary topics in this part of the specialization are: asymptotic ("Big-oh") notation, sorting and searching, divide and conquer (master method, integer and matrix multiplication, closest pair), and randomized algorithms (QuickSort, contraction algorithm for min cuts)....

KS
Sep 13, 2018

Well researched. Topics covered well, with walkthrough for exam.le cases for each new introduced algorithm. Great experience, learned a lot of important algorithms and algorithmic thinking practices.

DT

Thank you for teaching me this course. I learned a lot of new things, including Divide-and-Conquer, MergeSort, QuickSort, and Randomization Algorithms, along with proof for their asymptotic runtime

26 - 50 of 891 Reviews for Divide and Conquer, Sorting and Searching, and Randomized Algorithms

By abusaleh i

Mar 14, 2019

Just mere waste of time and money. Only suitable for Stanford student

By Jonathan M

Apr 24, 2020

This is a very informative course that provides a rigorous introduction to algorithms. Probably one of the better MOOCs I have taken so far in terms of what I learned. The videos do a great job of not just presenting the concepts but also explaining the mathematical reason behind the approaches presented.

By HAONAN L

Apr 18, 2020

it is really practical and give you the concept of what could make your program more efficient. Theorems have been explained in a very fundamental way that is easy to understand even for foreign students. Thanks!

By Dung N T

By Ivan

Sep 1, 2017

Amazing course. I learned a lot about algorithms, the implementation of algorithms, time complexity. I also learned a lot about being systematic and purposeful about including any line of code.

By Nikolaos E

Nov 7, 2016

Personally, I would recommend this course to anyone who really wants to learn how things work in that sort of algorithms. I found the assignments a little difficult, but also extremely helpful.

By Ferdinando I

Apr 24, 2020

I think the course is really good. Enough mathematics to make things more rigorous, but not too much that it is hard to follow (for a MOOC). The questions make you think about the material.

By Akshath M

Apr 23, 2020

Made notes, watched optional videos, re-watched the content till I understood and aced the tests! :)

It's fairly challenging but also do-able if you put your mind to it

By QJJ

Apr 25, 2020

Should really work hard to pass... But anyway, I appreciate the changes that the teacher brings to me. Really really a nice lesson the join!

By Deeksha S

Apr 28, 2020

Little bit tough but if you learn this honestly then you will gain much knowledge.

By Shikhir G

Apr 22, 2020

Brilliant course with proper explanations. Totally worth your time.

By Sankalp D

May 1, 2020

very truthful and everything thoroughly explained

By Jakub K

Apr 29, 2020

Very hard. Unique knowledge and skills.

By Vaibhav K

Apr 25, 2020

bets for analyzing the algorithm

By Lucas P F

May 12, 2021

Hard, as expected, yet challenging and with a good teacher, made me feel like a student again. Sometimes the background in statistics and probability played against me. It should be recommended to have some background on those subjects before starting the course

By Parsa N

Apr 29, 2020

Interesting course and huge amount of knowledge

By Jerry V A

Apr 30, 2020

i loved it so much

By Cole C

Jan 14, 2021

For someone not coming from a math background, this course was really difficult. I'm already a software engineer but wanted to bolster my CS background, but there is almost no real-world application or real-world knowledge in this course. It's almost 80% pointless mathematical proofs. Instead of learning when to apply a certain type of algorithm tool, you have some professor using big words and doing math proofs the whole time. Huge waste of time in my opinion as almost none of that stuff is used in real software engineering.

By Farrukh M

Jan 1, 2019

Very basic. Only good for people without CS degree.

By Moushumi P

May 25, 2021

This course should be named VERY HIGH-LEVEL overview of algorithms. I could get a much deeper understanding by googling the terms like merge sort, bubble sort, etc., and reading blogs than from the videos of this course. The logic is not explained clearly at all, most parts are skipped that too in a condescending way as if 'that's basic if you don't even know that, God help you.' I had only about a week to prepare for my interview and I have wasted half my day in this course. I do not recommend it to anyone. I recommend Princeton's course on the same (no certificate on that one though but HUGELY better understanding) over this one. A great teacher is not the one who's super knowledgeable and is able to flash his understanding at you (while teaching you nothing) a great teacher is the one who takes you to the same level of understanding as his own by being your guide. If at all, this course may be helpful to those who already are familiar with Algorithms but are rusty and need a refresher.

By Ivan Y J

Jul 26, 2020

As an auditing student it is extremely difficult to access course content ahead of time. I have finished my week 1 contents but cannot go forward to week 2.

By Alireza K

Feb 3, 2021

Note-taking was not possible.

The speaker speaks so fast.

The instructor does not explain simply, rather closer to being unnecessarily complicated.

By Ashutosh P

Mar 19, 2021

Poor teaching methodology of instructor!!!

By Tony A Z