Back to Effective Altruism

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Effective Altruism by Princeton University

Effective altruism is built on the simple but unsettling idea that living a fully ethical life involves doing the most good one can. In this course you will examine this idea's philosophical underpinnings; meet remarkable people who have restructured their lives in accordance with it; and think about how effective altruism can be put into practice in your own life. All the features of this course are available for free. It does not offer a certificate upon completion....

JB
Jan 22, 2018

Excellent material on a much needed topic. The course brought together a good number of strong and important ideas, well backed by research and with very interesting and relevant guest speakers.

NR
Apr 4, 2020

Very insightful course, opened my eyes to the importance of an indepth analysis when considering charitable donations. Also introduced valuable resources when considering how and what to give.

26 - 50 of 144 Reviews for Effective Altruism

By Shreya V

May 9, 2020

This was a pretty good course for people who are looking to become effective altruists- not so good for people who want a purely philosophical take on the concept of effective altruism. I found the readings way too long and dull and the quizzes and assignments were completely ineffective (they repeated the quiz questions in the assignments).

By Hyunsook K

Sep 1, 2015

No passion is on his lecture. There is only dryness and ethical superior pride through his theory.. Altruism without love is an empty vanity and well-designed commercial intention for selling his theory.

By Naveed A

Nov 5, 2020

I always had a confusion on how should one rate charities. It is clearly explained that one can evaluate different charities in a plausible manner. Another important point is that it argues that those who are well-off have a moral obligation of giving to those in need. The readings suggested in the course are a really important part of the course. The interviews with Zell Kravinsky, Julia Wise and Alexander give a different way of looking at life.

Outcome:

I will be more vigilant to evaluate the institutions that I will be donating to, even if the amount of donation is very less.

By LINGFEI L

Jun 28, 2020

This course is very meaningful and enlightens one's perspective of life, from the beginning we see different philosopher's opinion towards morality and ethic and step by step discover the reasonable parts and flawed or controversial thinking. There are people doing more for others, even donate a kidney to a complete stranger, all of the activities makes me review the way how we live our lives and is there anything I could do to change or help?

By Renee K

Nov 18, 2020

I came across this course after completing the course of 'Moralities of everyday life', and I took a keen interest in wanting to take this course being presented by professor 'Peter Singer', and I would highly recommend this course to anyone interested in learning about altruism and the little bits of philosophy included. I'd like to thank, Professor Peter Singer for making this course worth taking it was quite Good and I enjoyed it.

By Maria S A A

Jun 15, 2020

I liked that the course was very applicable/hands-on. It presented philosophical theories to lay the foundations before introducing to us cases or real-life examples. I particularly enjoyed the lectures on ethical careers because of the guest speakers and was engaged by their experiences and the "realness" that they were able to present to the students.

By Margarita M

May 14, 2020

This course has given me very useful tools in order to have better criteria when it comes to donating and making voluntary contributions to social impact innovative projects .

Grateful greetings to Prof. Peter Singer

By Mario B

Jul 23, 2020

Excellent course. I learnt a lot about charity organizations around the world and how we can help too

By Florian W

Dec 27, 2017

Excellent course, great experience, thank you so much to offer this course.

By Chris L

Sep 12, 2017

made me think, and re-think, my ideas about the right thing(s) to do

By Marisa M

May 8, 2020

Peter Singer inspired me to be a better human in this course. <3

By Samuel G B

Jun 20, 2018

Great course. Lots of interesting speakers and resources

By Ronald F

Aug 17, 2016

very complex, super challenging and helpful

By Idan A

Jun 27, 2018

one of the best courses on coursera

By Minisha T

Dec 22, 2015

I love the theory in this course.

By Ross N

By Marcus D

Amazing course.

By Gaurav S

Jan 11, 2020

I could not justify giving it 5 stars because I felt that the course should have presented all the arguments in greater detail. I understand that it is called effective altruism, and not simply ethics, but I do believe that convincing me of your philosophy does necessitate both a more careful rejection of the others, as well as developing all of the arguments in sufficient detail. This was actually a reason why I left the course early on, but then decided to re-enroll -- to let Prof. Singer have a chance at presenting his own argument in a more complete manner.

The course is necessary. I agree with Prof. Singer's observation that consumerism has insufficient meaning for many, and that by trying to live more ethically, we can give meaning to, or discover meaning in our own lives.

I could not justify giving any fewer than four stars because clearly the course content is above average. Prof. Singer is passionate about the cause, is earnestly trying to build a community around it, and this shows in the content. I can certainly say that the course made me deeply reflect on my own views on the topic, and perhaps it will do the same for you.

By Jurgens P

Jan 16, 2017

Well balanced approach that invites multiple perspectives on ultruism. I would have liked to see the objections against ultruism of Ayn Rand being addressed in the course but I suppose it is difficult to give a course that addresses all aspects of a given topic. But Ayn Rand had a definite contradictory viewpoint and it would have enhanced the class tremendously if it had been considered.

By Francine M

Sep 5, 2020

Although very much focused on altruism through giving to charities and less on daily life, I found this course very interesting and it certainly gave me another perspective regarding altruism and charities. Tip: I followed this course with a few friends of mine and we did a mini-Giving Game! Although we couldn't choose so we ended up doubling our money and giving to two charities.

By Caelyn M

Dec 3, 2016

Solid course, makes the case both for acting ethically, and for rationally choosing how to carry out those ethical activities. I had heard most of these arguments before and was already convinced by them; but if you are looking to figure out how to do more good with your life, it is a good course.

By Quentin C

Jun 8, 2020

Pretty good but relatively basic/introductory in it's coverage of moral philosophy - if you already know about the basics of consequentialism vs deontology, basic metaethics, etc. just skip the first and last week

By Hannah D

Jun 7, 2016

Audited the course. Found the information quite useful. In the quest to live an evermore ethical life, Peter Singer helps to bring light to the issues at hand in an accessible way.

By Nicola D

Mar 30, 2018

I really enjoyed the course and it went beyond my expectations. The best part for me were the discussions Peter had with the various guests.