Back to Effective Altruism

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Effective Altruism by Princeton University

Effective altruism is built on the simple but unsettling idea that living a fully ethical life involves doing the most good one can. In this course you will examine this idea's philosophical underpinnings; meet remarkable people who have restructured their lives in accordance with it; and think about how effective altruism can be put into practice in your own life. All the features of this course are available for free. It does not offer a certificate upon completion....

JB
Jan 22, 2018

Excellent material on a much needed topic. The course brought together a good number of strong and important ideas, well backed by research and with very interesting and relevant guest speakers.

NR
Apr 4, 2020

Very insightful course, opened my eyes to the importance of an indepth analysis when considering charitable donations. Also introduced valuable resources when considering how and what to give.

126 - 137 of 137 Reviews for Effective Altruism

By Francine M

Sep 5, 2020

Although very much focused on altruism through giving to charities and less on daily life, I found this course very interesting and it certainly gave me another perspective regarding altruism and charities. Tip: I followed this course with a few friends of mine and we did a mini-Giving Game! Although we couldn't choose so we ended up doubling our money and giving to two charities.

By EUGENIA Q

May 15, 2020

This course allowed me to expand my way of seeing altruism. From the philosophical positions that can support it to the most practical and effective ways of carrying it out. From the what to the how, with deep and enriching experiences carried out by people and organizations. It gave me the opportunity to learn how to help others and motivated me to do it.

By D Y

Oct 15, 2015

Very strong concept, to take and employ in your day to day life. I found it very vital for not for profit work.

However, substantial philosophy knowledge is needed in order to really absorb and follow the argument.

By Ira R

Apr 5, 2020

It was a very interesting and insightful course. I left each lecture thinking about my own life and choices, which is the point. Additionally, I found the readings useful; however, not all of the links worked.

By rafael h g v

Me gusto mucho el curso, excelente material, excelente metodologia, aprendi mucho y quiero que muchas personas puedan aprovechar esta herramienta fabulosa de COURSERA para la divulgacion de los cursos

By Phoebe S

Nov 9, 2017

Want to think and act in an broader and much more responsible way? They this course is for you.

By Margaret M

Sep 2, 2015

Very well done. I would have liked it if there were more assignments.

By Juan G U

Very nice!

By Philipp L

May 22, 2017

I would have expected more academic background, but the course overall is very interesting.

By Jose L M C

Aug 10, 2020

Deberia tener certificado

By Foivos I

Aug 16, 2015

Too many lectures, specialized audience with huge competition, not accessible by novices of philosophy and only assessed through a single peer-reviewed assignment-essay.