Back to Applied Data Science Capstone

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Applied Data Science Capstone by IBM

This capstone project course will give you a taste of what data scientists go through in real life when working with data. You will learn about location data and different location data providers, such as Foursquare. You will learn how to make RESTful API calls to the Foursquare API to retrieve data about venues in different neighborhoods around the world. You will also learn how to be creative in situations where data are not readily available by scraping web data and parsing HTML code. You will utilize Python and its pandas library to manipulate data, which will help you refine your skills for exploring and analyzing data. Finally, you will be required to use the Folium library to great maps of geospatial data and to communicate your results and findings. If you choose to take this course and earn the Coursera course certificate, you will also earn an IBM digital badge upon successful completion of the course. LIMITED TIME OFFER: Subscription is only $39 USD per month for access to graded materials and a certificate....

LD
Oct 23, 2019

Its was great experience in completing the project using all skills that we learned in the course, thanks to coursera and IBM for giving me an opportunity to update my selft and also to test my skills

SG
Mar 3, 2020

Very good capstone project. Learnt lot of insights on how to represent data through out this course.\n\nVery good starting point for ""Data Science" field. I would definitely recommend this course.

51 - 75 of 681 Reviews for Applied Data Science Capstone

By Muhammad F S

May 9, 2020

It has been a fantastic journey of completing the 9 course specialization over the past two months!

I practically started with no prior exposure to data science but learned a lot of useful Python skills, tips-and-tricks, and knowledge about data science. The course material and instructors were excellent, and the Jupyter Notebooks were very challenging at times - at least for someone who had left programming around 15-years ago.

The specialization, as it says, is of beginner level but would definitely equip the students to move forward on their own in their quest for data science.

I would suggest adding courses on probability and statistics, linear algebra, and calculus in the specialization.

By Olin H K

May 16, 2020

What a wild ride! The IBM Data Science Professional Certificate was my first exposure to coding and Data Science. The courses prior to the Capstone really do give you enough rope where you can do some cool stuff for the Capstone Project. Throughout the program, I learned where to go when I needed to teach myself something, while I was exposed to the basics.

I'm probably not normal, but I spent 40 or so hours on the capstone project itself. Lots of Frustration at times, but lots of fun as well and I was proud of what I was able to accomplish.

By Hayford T

May 13, 2020

When I started this course I didn't know how fast I could grab these concepts in Data Science, it has been a challenging journey, especially learning a new programming language Python with all the libraries and packages, but Don't underestimate the little efforts, It leads to greatness. Now through Coursera and IBM I can boast courses that has prepared and given me head start into my new career. Coursera has made it possible for me to study at my own pace. This is amazing!, it worth recommending!.

By Dario N

May 17, 2021

The whole certificate is fantastic. It teaches you a great overview in many data science skills.

However, if you live in Germany, it will not help you get a job in the field at all - I mean AT ALL. It's completely worthless. You either need work experience in the filed or a Bachelors or Masters degree in statistics or computer science, but then again, you wouldn't need this certificate. So it's a great course to learn things, but it's a poor course to enhance your job opportunities.

By Henry W

Jan 28, 2021

This capstone course is what you make of it. I reviewed several final submissions (we are required to review one and optionally can review several). Some people made the extra investment to do more than just apply the labs to other cities, they really learned by applying all the past learning and doing a project to apply and showcase their learning. There is lots to learn and apply here. My advice is for you to invest all you can so you can showcase your abilities!

By Atfy I Z

Apr 27, 2020

A great course that tests your skills to apply your cumulative knowledge on Data Science since you embarked on the Programme.

As for me, even though I don't intend to become a full-fledged Data Science, this course along with the Specialisation Programme provide sufficient understanding and practical hands-on learning to better appreciate benefits and constraints of Data Science, particularly on the importance of data and machine learning ability.

By Dayli S

Apr 30, 2020

I really like using everything I learned into my own example built from the beginning to end. I felt a little bit unsecured with the assignment at the beginning, because I was really a beginner in Python before I started this course. But it encouraged me a lot to finish it and to learn more. Now I have a basis and a lot of information, that I need to sort out. I am planning to do more Python courses and continue practicing.

By Marvin L

Oct 31, 2019

It was very good.. Overall. few things I like to add.

Sharing my notebook from Cloud was not working a lots time.

GitHub , or Jupiter Notebook with simple 2 lines of coding did not work..

Also, a lot of time, cloud machine just spins.. -- without showing it

My resource got close to limit , - Could not add more code..

Instructions were out of date, could not be applied current version

Working with Cloud machine was challenging !!

By Julien P

Feb 23, 2020

Great to put into action the theoretical knowledge acquired in the previous 8 classes. What could be improved? The peer-rating system can be very slow. A common practice is to go on the forum to beg for a rating by another learner. This can be tiring.

By David M

Jun 6, 2020

This Program was well structured, it was a great combination of learning and problem solving. You also got a great chance to see how useful data can be and how easy it is to make it work for you

By Yibing S

Jul 10, 2019

This course is instructive and challenging at the same time. Now I do wish I know a bit more about python and pandas before I jump in this course. But in the end I managed to get through.

By Ian C

Apr 26, 2019

Felt a bit constrained by the requirement to include the Foursquare API.

By Nikolay D

Dec 27, 2018

Very easy to understand and remember this material

By Hadi N

Dec 28, 2019

I would have liked to come up with a capstone project which did not encourage me to use location data from Foursquare, and rather use other data to come up with problems and solutions which do not necessarily have to do with location data. But all in all, it was an interesting course and great knowledge was gained

By Yechen H

Oct 6, 2019

Overall, the course is very practical, you have the chance to do a project use the technology you have learned so far, and get a feeling of what Data Science work looks like. Recommend for those who interested in Data Science Area.

By Ruiping W

May 14, 2020

This project is beneficial by providing the chance to explore Foursquare API and generate some realistic results. However the discussion forum is not well used, questions posted there are rarely answered by teach staff.

By Pawel P

Nov 5, 2018

Some things were outdated and did not work properly for me.

Peer-graded assignments where one has to create a github repository is totally unnecessary.

By Alex Y

Aug 9, 2019

Did not like Foursquare and was obliged to use it to complete the course

By Martin V

Oct 21, 2020

As much as I would like to recommend this course, I was really disappointed by the poor quality of the videos in this lecture. They contained a lot of spelling mistakes and were not aligned with what you find in the corresponding notebooks which made it very cumbersome to take notes while watching the lectures. Also the capstone project, while being interesting and challenging, was not properly motivated by the course itself.

I think the extend was good and concept fine but it needs a lot of fine-tuning to be an outstanding course which wants you to continue an do the next one immediately after.

By Brandon S

Jul 26, 2019

I think I was a tougher critic of my own project than anyone else was going to be; the rubric for peer-grading was almost entirely about presentation with little emphasis on the data analysis itself. The requirement to use Foursquare's API was a limitation on the possible topics for the project, and Foursquare's documentation of endpoints fails to disclose that some fields such as Rating are the result of proprietary, unusual calculations that are unlikely to correlate strongly with any simple data.

By BogdanC

Sep 4, 2020

the idea and all that was great, but despite doing all the previous courses, it was very difficult for me to do the project ... I felt I had many cheese holes and got stuck many times ... note, I had no experience with DS, programming before, but coming from a finance background ... I would say the entire specialisation is not for a true beginner ... but the course package overall is very strong I think

By Elvijs M

Apr 18, 2020

On one hand there is some encouragement to experiment and come up with an interesting problem and I actually took some time to come up with something non-trivial before starting. But practically, there is no need to -- you can just take the example notebook from one of the prior weeks and change the city. The evaluation doesn't really reward you for doing something original or extra.

Sadly, the certificate of the specialization as a whole is worthless.

By Izabela K

Sep 24, 2019

I hoped this course would be more complex but it mostly consist of Foursquare API requests. I had to focus how to fit other datasets in addition to Foursquare data to find something interesting but instead of using fancy algorithms and testing them I had to focus on data and it was really time consuming, I spent 2x more time on each assignment. Whole IBM DS path was great but final course was a big disappointment.

By Alperen K

Dec 14, 2020

it was the worst Coursera course I've ever took. Course capstones pages are buggy, there are not adequate explanations at videos. The final project is very painful because there are not enough resources and you are forced to prepare "notebook", "report" and "presentation/blog post" can't we just prepare two of these items?

By PD T

Jan 21, 2020

Issues with the lab sessions and untimely responses from the staff hindered my learning. Also, the students did not respond to my questions in the discussion forums, they seem to only be about themselves and having people grade their assignments.