Back to The Bilingual Brain

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Bilingual Brain by University of Houston

This course explores the brain bases of bilingualism by discussing literature relevant to differences in age of initial learning, proficiency, and control in the nonverbal, single language and dual-language literature. Participants will learn about the latest research related to how humans learn one or two languages and other cognitive skills....

JS
Jan 19, 2021

Amazing and I have learned a lot. I am a Bilingual myself and it really sheds light on how the brain works in terms of learning and being proficient in two languages or more for others.

ZR
Jan 17, 2018

This course helped me in understanding various aspects of how brain and mind works and how we can use these knowledge for studying different languages and also when we multitasks

51 - 75 of 91 Reviews for The Bilingual Brain

Sep 24, 2020

OIOIYH

By GLORIYA V

Jul 30, 2020

Good

By Veronika J

Sep 12, 2020

An interesting and insightful course. Prof. Hernandez uses up-to-date information and clearly explains how the bilingual brain works. Growing up monolingual and becoming multilingual as an adult, this course fulfilled my curiosity in all those brain and language phenomena I've always searched an answer for. I loved the office hours, and how well the professor elaborates on aspects that play a crucial role in bilingualism and multilingualism. Although, I expected additional literature sources or diverse weekly tasks. The final quiz , for instance, summarizes the same week 1-8 questions and looks easy to pass.

However, I would totally recommend this course to linguists, translators and interpreters, language teachers, or simply anybody interested in this subject matter.

By Amit K

Jan 5, 2019

Excellent information and well-presented. I think some of the early lesson videos were not timed very well (either too long or too short). An ideal video length for one lesson for me is 8-10 minutes. I liked the flow of the course, the planning of the lessons and the examples used. The subtitles were not always well-transcribed. The transcribers did not bother to check up non-English words, the real spellings of researcher names, and in one case actually got this professor's name wrong. End of unit quizzes being exact repeats of lesson quizzes made things a bit too easy to pass.

By Inés K

Mar 29, 2021

The course was interesting, though there were a lot of facts that I knew already from other reading and training. The way it was presented was a little sterile, with the lecturer standing in front of the camera without ever moving, with that totally neutral background of dark curtain. The course could easily have been pure listening, no need to watch. A more animated, lively, and ´real´ presentation of the facts would have been great.

By Luna L

Dec 16, 2016

The content of this course is really interesting and intriguing, but it would better if there are additional sources and information. Also, instead of mainly picture the teacher in the video, it would be nice if there could be more graphics and diagrams to illustrate the idea that the professor is trying to convey. Besides those minor deficiencies, I would say that this is a really good course and will worth your time.

By MAXIM B

Oct 18, 2020

Fantastic course! It was incredible to be able to explore different types of bilingualism (e.g. early vs. late bilinguals) and compare the data obtained in different experiments with the changes registered in the brain. Furthermore, I'm extremely grateful to Maya and Prof. Hernandez for holding Office Hours every week. What a brilliant idea!

By Yoko L

Apr 30, 2020

As a Japanese English bilingual, I found this course very interesting as it gave me some insight into how I might've acquired the two languages and explain some of the phenomenons I experience day to day when switching between languages. It also gave me some fruit for thought on how I might expose the two languages to kids down the future.

By Lisa G

Jul 3, 2017

I would have liked deeper explanations of the charts and diagrams that were used so it's easier for those of us not familiar with the studies or brain images to understand.

Overall I really enjoyed the class! I'm getting my MA in Linguistics and Language Acquisition in the fall, and this was a great warm-up into that.

By Mariana C

Some really nice concepts and ideas shared, but sometimes questions at the end of the videos (and final assessment) were REALLY nonsense - related to little details which were not that relevant to the general knowledge we should gain after the course.

Other than that, it was really nice taking this course.

By Isabel F

Jan 12, 2018

I enjoyed the course and learned quite a bit, yet I agree with all the improvements suggested by others here in the review section. Just videos and the same quizzes over and over is a bit monotonous. But still, I would recommend the course for anybody interested in the subject matter.

By Linda

Jun 29, 2020

The course was interesting. Perhaps a little bit to much of a summary of studies, one after another. There were no assignments which could help to process the theories. But I did learn some interesting aspects of the bilingual brain.

By Daniela L N D

Oct 22, 2017

The course is excellent and doctor Hernandez is an amazing professor. However, I believe it would be very good if we could have access to the studies and articles he talks about during the course.

By Tyson P d M U

Oct 7, 2019

Very interesting and informative. Many aspects make you think of language, the mind, and the brain in a different way. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

By Vita d G

Apr 6, 2018

Loved it. I hope there will be a follow up. I still have many questions about bilingualism

By Elena A

May 4, 2017

Very good context, yet the modules could be better distinguished.

By Carolina A V S

Jun 8, 2018

Very interesting information. Good course.

By Angelina L

Feb 15, 2017

Very useful and scientific oriented