Back to The Bilingual Brain

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Bilingual Brain by University of Houston

This course explores the brain bases of bilingualism by discussing literature relevant to differences in age of initial learning, proficiency, and control in the nonverbal, single language and dual-language literature. Participants will learn about the latest research related to how humans learn one or two languages and other cognitive skills....

ZR
Jan 17, 2018

This course helped me in understanding various aspects of how brain and mind works and how we can use these knowledge for studying different languages and also when we multitasks

SC
Oct 30, 2016

A great course for those who are interested in the fascinating bilingual research going on in area. Clearly stated, up-to-date literature shared.

51 - 75 of 76 Reviews for The Bilingual Brain

By Yoko L

Apr 30, 2020

As a Japanese English bilingual, I found this course very interesting as it gave me some insight into how I might've acquired the two languages and explain some of the phenomenons I experience day to day when switching between languages. It also gave me some fruit for thought on how I might expose the two languages to kids down the future.

By Lisa G

Jul 3, 2017

I would have liked deeper explanations of the charts and diagrams that were used so it's easier for those of us not familiar with the studies or brain images to understand.

Overall I really enjoyed the class! I'm getting my MA in Linguistics and Language Acquisition in the fall, and this was a great warm-up into that.

By Mariana C

Some really nice concepts and ideas shared, but sometimes questions at the end of the videos (and final assessment) were REALLY nonsense - related to little details which were not that relevant to the general knowledge we should gain after the course.

Other than that, it was really nice taking this course.

By Isabel F

Jan 12, 2018

I enjoyed the course and learned quite a bit, yet I agree with all the improvements suggested by others here in the review section. Just videos and the same quizzes over and over is a bit monotonous. But still, I would recommend the course for anybody interested in the subject matter.

By Linda

Jun 29, 2020

The course was interesting. Perhaps a little bit to much of a summary of studies, one after another. There were no assignments which could help to process the theories. But I did learn some interesting aspects of the bilingual brain.

By Daniela L N D

Oct 22, 2017

The course is excellent and doctor Hernandez is an amazing professor. However, I believe it would be very good if we could have access to the studies and articles he talks about during the course.

By Tyson P d M U

Oct 7, 2019

Very interesting and informative. Many aspects make you think of language, the mind, and the brain in a different way. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

By Vita d G

Apr 6, 2018

Loved it. I hope there will be a follow up. I still have many questions about bilingualism

By Elena A

May 4, 2017

Very good context, yet the modules could be better distinguished.

By Carolina A V S

Jun 8, 2018

Very interesting information. Good course.

By Angelina L

Feb 15, 2017

Very useful and scientific oriented

By Claudia A M

Mar 5, 2019

It was interesting.

By Djana R

Jun 1, 2018

Good course.

By Timo C

Jun 19, 2017

The information in this course is excellent, and the lecturer and his assistant explain things very clearly. As a bilingual person and teacher of bilingual students, finding out about what research tells us about how the brain operates when using more than one language is super interesting.

I would give this course more stars, but the problem is that the interactive features of the course are dead. There is a weekly forum, but posting there will not result in a reply, neither by students nor by the professors. There are weekly 'office hours' videos, but these reference questions from an earlier run-through of the course, so that feels a little strange to watch. Other areas for improvement are that there are no reading materials at all, though lots of research is referred to (Prof. Hernandez is very knowledgeable in his field). Also, the quiz/exam system becomes very predictable, and someone taking notes in a smart way can easily score 100% on the exam, provided questions 53 and 56 are fixed. At the moment, it is not possible to score higher than a 98% in total for the course.

By Anna D

Aug 16, 2018

Interesting insights to the (hypothetical) works of a bilingual brain; however, not practical enough and not giving insights into actualization of the second language or indeed any practical implications whatsoever. I'd much prefer a practical course on how to work with multilingual children and adults, developing their skills and deepening their ability.

By Olga D

Feb 26, 2017

Thanks for providing lots of interesting materials! As for me, i would prefer having more advanced tests and tasks as the given ones did not really help me remember the materials. I would also appreciate having some additional materials on the brain areas in this course, since this area was completely new to me.

By Carla L R

Nov 27, 2017

While the topics in this course are very interesting and Arturo Hernández does an excellent job explaining each topic in great detail, the tone of voice in the lectures can be a bit unpleasant and so the focus of attention may vary sometimes.

By Anna C

Apr 21, 2018

When it comes to the material, the presentation, the structure of the course I really liked it. However I would prefer different tasks for weekly quizzes not just questions and their repetition at the final exam.

By Hannah D

Apr 23, 2020

The videos were interesting, but the quizzes were not useful as they just involved memorising the questions at the end of each video.

By Mariela

Mar 26, 2020

Lacks a lot of information, the lectures are just one person speaking, making it hard to really focus and sustain the focus.

By Maite

Aug 9, 2020

La información que se facilita es interesante pero la metodología es monótona

By Fleur V

Jun 4, 2018

Nice to get basic information. For me it was a bit too basic.

By olivier h

Feb 24, 2018

The subject taught in this course impassionates me. Maybe it's the reason I'm so disappointed by the course. Please consider this highly negative review as an sting, an encouragement for the authors to make it better !

In my opinion, the course lacks some material, I would expect more links to external articles or sources.

Then I would expect more interesting videos : most of the time, Prof Arturo Hernandez speaks to the camera, and there is almost no illustration to support the discourse, and when there is some, it is sometime difficult to understand or even to read. The course could have as well been offered as an audio podcast!

Asking a question after each video is a good thing, but unfortunately, I had many times the feeling that it could have been better chosen or formulated. I would rather have first a quiz testing if the student understood and memorized the main facts presented, to then have maybe questions requiring more thinking. More disturbing: there seems to be some errors in the final quiz (which is easy to spot because the questions are the same as those in the intermediate quizzes each week), those errors have been reported in the forum one year ago, and are still there! No staff seem to actually read the forum/

But the most disturbing in the course is the lack of a good solid structure. Some videos last 1 minute , others 19 minutes, it give a feeling of inconsistency. When Prof Hernandez lectures, he seems sometimes not fully prepared, as if improvising, hesitating ... He too often cites research papers or refers to studies results for adding then that the results were inconclusive, subject to caution, questionable, or even rebutted by some later study. What's the conclusion then?

One thing I liked are the office hours videos! Interesting questions addressed in a more natural and agreeable way.

By Ema N

Mar 2, 2018

I think the subject matter is fascinating and am imagining that Dr. Hernandez's research in the field is cutting edge. However, he isn't a very good lecturer (rambling and not very clear). Sometimes his message is not clear (even listening a few times and reading the transcript), and it was difficult trying to locate the original research that he's talking about, because no written references are provided and one can't even really be sure of how the authors' names are spelled.

Having taken several Coursera courses, I was also severely disappointed in the lack of interaction with other learners. The forums are mostly abandoned, and there appear not to be any humans behind the running of the course. It's like on autopilot since after its first run in 2014.

All in all, I think the content would be most interesting if presented better, but it was a disappointing, if not downright frustrating, Coursera experience. I do hope the University of Houston System considers updating and improving it.

By Irena B

Oct 1, 2020

A very interesting topic, but highly unstructured course. No papers to read or write doesn't help either. This is a subject I have a burning interest for, so I kept learning as much as I could from the videos. Unfortunately, quiz would not always correspond to what was being said, or demanded knowledge which was impossible to retain from just the spoken word. Please, include some articles or chapters from a book in the course, and a bibliography list for those who want to continue learning.