Back to Astro 101: Black Holes

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Astro 101: Black Holes by University of Alberta

What is a black hole? Do they really exist? How do they form? How are they related to stars? What would happen if you fell into one? How do you see a black hole if they emit no light? What’s the difference between a black hole and a really dark star? Could a particle accelerator create a black hole? Can a black hole also be a worm hole or a time machine? In Astro 101: Black Holes, you will explore the concepts behind black holes. Using the theme of black holes, you will learn the basic ideas of astronomy, relativity, and quantum physics. After completing this course, you will be able to: • Describe the essential properties of black holes. • Explain recent black hole research using plain language and appropriate analogies. • Compare black holes in popular culture to modern physics to distinguish science fact from science fiction. • Describe the application of fundamental physical concepts including gravity, special and general relativity, and quantum mechanics to reported scientific observations. • Recognize different types of stars and distinguish which stars can potentially become black holes. • Differentiate types of black holes and classify each type as observed or theoretical. • Characterize formation theories associated with each type of black hole. • Identify different ways of detecting black holes, and appropriate technologies associated with each detection method. • Summarize the puzzles facing black hole researchers in modern science....

SK
Jul 30, 2020

i love this course, everything from knowledge to the visual and scientific data, this course amazed me.\n\ni thanking to all the person in this course to sharing this knowledge in such an amazing way

DB
Jul 26, 2020

It is an Excellent course , with no math assignments, if you want to learn Black holes Definitely, this is the course for you , i am looking for another course from same team. Excellent Team Effort.

176 - 200 of 202 Reviews for Astro 101: Black Holes

By Robert C C

Nov 1, 2018

G

By Miranda H

Jan 5, 2019

Very interesting course. Between the colourful backgrounds of the speakers, simple imagery and the food analogies, they made astronomical theories and evidence much easier to understand for those who do not come from a physics background. Perhaps minor issues here and there with sound and when the speaker was not looking directly at the screen it could be a little off-putting, but other than that, it was an amazing course. I come from a biological sciences background (specifically health sciences) and I found this quite easy to understand. Tests were also fair as they were based on theories and confirmed evidence rather than equations, and weren't too difficult if you paid attention to the videos. Even if you didn't 100% understand a concept, the images presented to you stick quite well in your mind to the point you are able to answer the test questions easier. Coming out of this, I now have a greater understanding of some of the greatest physics concepts from Newton, Einstein, and so on. I have also expanded my knowledge of astronomy and the universe, as I have been studying it since I was a little girl, but was unfortunately able to pursue it due to my strong dislike for physics (you know, boring plain Earth physics). This helped me to continue on my passion for astronomy while also avoiding those icky physics courses. Thanks to the UofA and their group of astronomers for putting this together for anyone needing their astronomy fix.

By Emily N

Nov 4, 2020

The instructors made the concepts very clear and understandable. I've just started year 13 and I ended up learning about Newton's Law of gravitation on this course at the same time as I was learning it in class so I would really recommend this course to GCSE or A-level students who want to deepen their enthusiasm for the subject. Also can't believe how much I didn't know about black holes until I completed this course.

By p v k

Mar 2, 2019

With professors who can shrink astronomical distances and explain concepts in time, space and cosmology with such lucidity and more importantly joy, this course was bound to be one ,which in literal sense, has transformed the black hole into a living vibrant entity. The team has rekindled the joy of learning in me and am sure in all students. Heartfelt thanks .

By Amanda S

Feb 11, 2020

I took this course mainly as a refresher course for myself. I learned some new things that I enjoyed! I know this was a beginner course but I would have preferred the instructors showing how to calculate the few equations that they talked about at least. I feel a lot of information was spoken about briefly and not depthfully enough to fully grasp.

By Manish K

Jul 30, 2020

This course is pretty good. It helps in developing intrest about black holes. One drawback about this course is that If you want to understand all the mathematics including black holes and general relativity then this course is not for you. Otherwise this course is fantastic as they teaches using computer graphics and images.

By Sumeet N

Nov 18, 2020

Ross is the best trainer among the four of them (even without comparison). The 4 rating is for the knowledge in the course and of the trainers. Some points and some mathematics could have stressed more. For someone like me who is allergic to mathematics, those principles escape before being understood.

:-)

By John B

Mar 22, 2019

Great pace and great teachers! Would have loved more math-based problems to practice the formulas and calculations, but that's just me. A must-take course if you're starting out on your quest to understand the Universe.

By Steven G

Jul 9, 2019

An excellent introductory course into the physics of black holes. I only gave it four stars since I felt it could have had more mathematics content for students that want to dig a little deeper into the material.

By Shivanshu K

Jul 5, 2020

This is a pretty good course give you a really good insight into the Black holes. The only problem I had was that most of the queries are unanswered, which is a little problematic in cementing the foundation.

By Kirubarani.T

May 16, 2020

Super course...there are many informations about black holes are presented. and their communication language was easily understand to all..thank you so much for offer the course

By Lionel L R Q

Jul 5, 2020

Pretty decent course for an introductory level. However, the teaching assistants aren't that responsive so you got to wait a little longer. Overall a satisfactory course.

By Harry B

Sep 5, 2020

Lots of interesting information about black holes and ongoing research about them. Only very rudimentary math needed for the course.

By Mikaeel S

Sep 16, 2019

It was a fun course, however it would have been more fun if there was more interactive stuff to do.

By keith b

Jul 2, 2019

taught me the latest theories on black holes and some physical principles of related science

By Vincent W L

Jul 26, 2020

Prof. Morsink and team, very educational and easy to understand course.

By Abdessamad M

May 10, 2019

Good course, it introduced me to the black hole theory in a easy way.

By Joy S

Sep 3, 2018

Fascinating. Plus they get into Star Trek. Pretty technical, though

By Pattadon N

Jun 15, 2020

I think the lecture should have pictures and colors.

By KAUSTUV L

Could involve a little more mathematics.

By Oleksandra O

All movies were cool.

By Marc B

Jan 26, 2019

This course is very well produced and interesting. However, it is not challenging enough. It should at least propose a weekly set of problems (possibly on a voluntary basis) requiring a modicum of physics and math skills. As it stands, it tells a pretty story but does not allow a student to grasp how the story was put together. I gained much information about BHs and other celestial objects, but zero new skill. In addition, I find that lecturers reading prompters make for lifeless presentations that are not clearly superior to being assigned to read a transcript or book chapter. I thought that the staff engaged very effectively with the students on the forum.

By Joseph C

Nov 24, 2020

Oftentimes one gets the impression that some of the lecturers have no idea what they are talking about; they appear to be reading from scripts off their computers. I also have the feeling that the overall course can be more "instructive" if the material is organized differently. This is a class for novices, not for experts, and it may not be necessary for a course lasting "10 weeks" to give the novice a useful overview of the subject.