Back to Brand New Brand

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Brand New Brand by California Institute of the Arts

This course is the culmination of the Graphic Design Specialization and gives you an opportunity to tie together your knowledge and skills into a single project: a brand development guide for a company you will invent. This course takes you through the entire design process, from ideation to creation to presentation. Through the guide, you will be creating and giving a visual identity to an imaginary start-up company, and applying that visual identity to a number of forms. You will also develop a logotype and accompanying graphic palette to visually represent your company, as well as apply that design to a number of different applications to see it at work. Note: Only learners who have earned a certificate in the four previous courses in the Specialization are eligible to take the Capstone....

JL

Feb 24, 2017

It was great in terms of working on closer to a long-term project and even learning what a branding guide is. Plus it added to my portfolio and I got a lot more working experience with my programs.

AS

Mar 10, 2019

A great way to culminate the Graphic Design Specialization. It lets you put to use all the things learned so far. A must, if you are willing to try your skills in Graphic Designing.

1 - 25 of 144 Reviews for Brand New Brand

By Roberto M A

Dec 11, 2018

This is an excellent course for those who want to understand the process of create a "Brand" from scratch. And the perfect practical application of all the elements learned from the previous courses of the Graphic Design Specialization.

Very useful, very practical. I learned a lot! Thank you!

By Petra L M

Aug 21, 2018

Dear Michael, it took me some time to finish the whole specialization, but it was worth waiting. Your lectures are aplicable to other areas of professional or even personal life. You teach ppl how to open their eyes and explore how not to be afraid of new ideas or simple generating them without the need to do them perfectly on the first try. You dissolve fear of unknown in enjoyable way - that sa gift and I am thankful for that!

By Eugenia S

Jan 23, 2018

I'm so glad, that I passed it all! I finished the whole specialization and I will advice it to my friends. The Brand New Brand was quite hard but veryveryvery interesting . It also was absolutely necessary and useful. I want to thank everybody who accepted grants for me and who developed and produced this course. And future students, it's never too late to learn and study!

By 张金妙

Dec 18, 2019

After 3.5 months learning, i think i really improved my skills in graphic design, at least i think i can understand more and more art styles. that is really a great study experience, thanks for all the teachers! thank you very much! i am always learning with fun! best wishes!

By Edward I

Sep 29, 2016

I really really loved the entire course and will recommend it to my friends and work mates, excellent tutors and easy to understand their lectures. Thank you so so much!!

By Ahmed M K A T

Jan 15, 2019

تي

By Gunjan

Sep 28, 2016

The course was well laid out, had us tread old ground in a great way (especially with those of us who are already int he field or took the earlier courses in the graphic design specialization) by forcing us to look at the basics as we solved design problems. While it's great that people review (and are even left tips and hints on how to leave a helpful review) I do wish there was some sort of word limit (even a minimal one) for them because oftentimes getting a review like 'Great', or 'Nice' while heartening don't actually help the student learn about what the person liked about their design or what failed.

By Laura Z

May 17, 2017

I like the way it is presented, videos and text that leads you to develop a comprehensive brand guide that we can have as an example for our future job. I like the fact that I can see the process of all the rest of the course members. I would like though a bit more feedback from a menthor.. I was stuck with one section and I could have used some help.

By Adler A

Aug 11, 2019

This course was exciting cause it allowed me to create a whole project and turn on the fantasy at the full power. Videos are short and interesting, like in previous courses of this specialization. The final score depends much on who review your project. Some peers are generous and inspiring, and some are too tough. For newcomers, low scores can be frustrating, I know from experience. But they don't mean that design is bad, points of view are subjective, after all. So if people like the idea and general design is neat, but got low scores, they can save the idea and resubmit the work, new peers can have another point of view at it.

By Spencer Y

Sep 28, 2017

Awesome course on brand design. Michael presents a repeatable process for developing an entire brand identity from company history, ideals, logotype, mark, color palette, imagery, and applications. Not only does this provide technical skills, but it also stimulates creativity. Being very new to Graphic Design, the whole CalArts Graphic Design specialization gave me confidence that I could contribute on a professional level in that discipline. Well worth the investment in both time and money. If you're serious about the subject, plan on spending more time on the course than you anticipated because it is so engaging.

By Paul M

Dec 21, 2016

Its hard to review this course without looking back at the other previous courses. For me it was more about self discovery. Every lesson and concept learned in the past courses have become part of my workflow and it was able to see it during the time that I was working in my final project. My peers' critics and opinions also helped me during this process, whenever I was not sure if something was working in my designs, someone pointed the problem or made a suggestion. A the end, I am extremely satisfied with my final project, I enjoyed every step of the process, and I discovered new talents thanks to this course.

By Laura G

Oct 25, 2016

I loved the process of branding from start to finish, including company/client. Although, I may not always be able to brand a company I make up, the process was very thorough and I believe will help me in future branding opportunities. In this sense, the class was invaluable! The instruction was very clear and interesting and the help of the class aid, Calvin, made this a great experience! I also loved seeing what others were coming up with and how they applied the principles of design learned in the other courses in this specialization.

By Sahel Z

Oct 03, 2016

This is a very good course if you are considering a career in graphic design, it does not concentrate a lot on the technique but rather on the creative process and the theory. The assignment are not too intense yet very helpful in giving that exposure to the role of the graphic designer. I definitely recommend it if you are a beginner or even if you already know some techniques but want to learn more about the theory.

Also, throughout the course you get very valuable recommendations for further readings, I found that very helpful.

By Shema C

May 23, 2018

This course is amazing! It really breaks down the steps you need to begin working with a client or even if you wanted to start your own business. I absolutely love this course as well as all the other courses in this graphic design program. The professors are truly amazing as well, for the lessons to be explained and given through a prerecorded video it felt very hands on. I recommend anyone taking this Specialization course to complete of the the optional assignments, you learn a lot from them.

By Stephanie O

Feb 27, 2017

This part helped me channel my relevant experiences and things that I learned from other courses in UI/UX, especially from typography and imagemaking. It's nice to put your skills into practice through learning by doing, and have an actual portfolio after the course. It's also a good practice to rate others from draft 1 to 5, feedbacks from peers weren't always relevant to me but mostly helpful in solidifying my capstone project.

By Alice G

May 16, 2017

This was a fantastic capstone. I learned more during this course than the other four combined! The key to success is to make sure you finish each week's work on time (it can be easy to get behind since you only receive peer review/feedback, and not actual grades). Week 4 is definitely the most time-intensive, and it's nice to be able to use the last week to finesse the project. Overall, it's fantastic!

By Lee D

Sep 28, 2016

This course is just fantastic. It is well paced and very informative. There is also room for all levels of proficiency. It has changed the way I see visual arts and branding. I am now more aware of the history and the motivation of this discipline. I would recommend this course to anybody who is interested in learning how to enter or continue in this field!

By Renee T

Jun 13, 2018

The course has an excellent project that will let students apply previous courses' lessons, hands-on and creative. I find the break down of the guides, pointers, and lessons in the videos are very helpful in figuring out what to do with my own project. The final output can also be a great addition to a design portfolio. Thank you for this course.

By Haewon S

Apr 16, 2020

The logo/icon development and overall production was really interesting. Clear and concise videos were helpful to gain insight into the overall process of graphic design - thank you to the instructors!

Only downside is that there is plenty of room for plagiarism in this course - I saw that someone used my work to submit under their own name :(

By Georgina P

Sep 04, 2017

Im almost finishing the course andI think is such a cool oportunity to put into work all the things thatI learnt trhough the 4 courses. It gives you the chance to go to the next level and start thinking about design as a cohesive way because you are creating the identity of a brand. Very challenging and well explained, totally recomended.

By Shivansh S

Sep 07, 2019

It has been such an informative and intuitive course. I am so thankful to our Professor for making us understand the importance of Graphic Design throughout this Specialisation and then to actually Develop a Brand through this course. These 6 weeks were amazing and hopefully I was able to experiment a lot with Graphics and ideas.

By Holly H

Jun 27, 2018

I really enjoyed how practical this capstone was, and I thought that the videos alongside the optional peer reviews were very helpful to get to the finished result. I thoroughly enjoyed it and believe that it helped me to gain more knowledge for creating a Brand Development process and the documentation to go alongside that.

By Teri L

Aug 26, 2018

A really nice way to wrap up this specialisation - by showcasing just about everything you've learnt throughout the other four courses. Everything is easy to follow, as well as understand. It shows the step-by-step process to achieving something amazing at the end - with some options for your own ideas and additions :)

By Ahmed M A

Oct 30, 2018

hi guys , i recommend this course to everyone he want to discover his ability in graphic design

there is a lot of challenge,practice and more fun in this course, that help you to know more than your expect about visual thinking

when you see your brand in finally, you will feel be more confidence about yourself

By Leo P

May 09, 2020

Michael is not only a subject matter expert who knows what he's doing, he's also an engaging and detail-oriented lecturer. From taking this course, I am reminded of the fact that teachers often make or break your learning experience. In this case it was all positive with Michael for this capstone class.