Back to Child Nutrition and Cooking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Child Nutrition and Cooking by Stanford University

Eating patterns that begin in childhood affect health and well-being across the lifespan. The culture of eating has changed significantly in recent decades, especially in parts of the world where processed foods dominate our dietary intake. This course examines contemporary child nutrition and the impact of the individual decisions made by each family. The health risks associated with obesity in childhood are also discussed. Participants will learn what constitutes a healthy diet for children and adults and how to prepare simple, delicious foods aimed at inspiring a lifelong celebration of easy home-cooked meals. This course will help prepare participants to be the leading health providers, teachers and parents of the present and future.The text and other material in this course may include the opinion of the specific instructor and are not statements of advice, endorsement, opinion, or information of Stanford University....

RH

Sep 17, 2017

very useful and practical course.. it boosts my positive energy to cook more and more in healthy way for my baby coz much love=much healthy.. It inspired me, it's very simple , easy and very healthy..

ZP

Oct 07, 2015

This course is immensely informative, as well as fun! I loved the way Maya made things simple, with diagrams to accompany all of the the nutrition information. I hope she does more courses like these!

1976 - 2000 of 2,061 Reviews for Child Nutrition and Cooking

Sep 22, 2015

E

By Davide D V

Jan 04, 2018

The course is good, but it is incredibly basic.

Perhaps for the average American it may be excellent content, but for anybody even minimally knowledgeable in nutrition everything is already well known (even the deceptive way grocery stores lay out their floorplans and shelve their products). I completed the whole course in a couple of hours (watching the videos at 2x which already felt "too slow" and required me to skip ahead not to fall asleep). I don't think I learnt anything from it which I did not know already from my mandatory nutrition class which I took in high school. But I grew up decades ago in a different country, so things may be different now and/or for people who grew up in the USA. Our family already cooks most of its meals home, we always eat together every dinner (and when schedule allows breakfast and lunch too), and we drink only water -- so I can relate with the teacher stressing these aspects, but again, this is like saying water is wet for me.

From Stanford, I was expecting something more sophisticated. For example regarding the 9 essential aminoacids: what are the recommended daily quantities for kids, which food contains them in which quantities, is it possible to have a balanced diet for a kid which is vegetarian or even vegan? If yes, how? If not why (in detail)? Not just a in passing mention of the timeworn beans-and-corn.

So in conclusion, my low rating is probably more of the result of my unmet expectations (previous paragraph) than an actual lack of the course itself (first paragraph). Probably a title such as "Home Cooking for Healthy Children" (or anything similar avoiding the word "nutrition", which implies a more scientific content), would have set my expectations right (and I would not have wasted my time on it).

By Claudia S

Jul 05, 2020

It's an ok course, very easy and understandable, well explained. It's too easy, and most of the information I already knew it, it's just common sense.

On the first test, there is a question with no option for the correct answer, and I did not felt good about completing the course without my overall tests resulting in a 100%, not being my fault but a mistake on the test itself.

What I liked the most about the course was the instructor. She is very nice to hear and see, and explain things well.

I don't think it's worth paying for have a certficate, because I didn't learn much.

By Lorena M S A

Mar 24, 2019

Eu gostei muito do curso, porém acho que poderia explorar mais questões relacionadas com alergias no sentido de ensinar a substituir alguns ingredientes. Outra questão é que gostaria de ter aprendido mais técnicas para estimular as crianças a comerem comida saudável. O que fazer quando elas se recusam a comer determinado alimento? E ainda, como fazer quando elas começam a apresentar uma seleção por alimentos pastosos ou somente de uma cor ou somente um tipo de alimento? Foram questões que ficaram faltando no curso.

By Erica B

Sep 08, 2015

The modules are rampant with bias against "big food," without considering the science. On the other hand, if you take the course as a whole, then yes, the population would be better off if we all followed the suggestions contained in this course than if we continue on our current path for how we consume food. So the general idea is not without merit. However, I would have expected better from a Stanford faculty member. What is being taught should be just the science, without opinions or biases.

By Evita

Nov 27, 2015

It is a really interesting course, it refers to the general public, with smart tips and quick recipies. Also, for those who know nothing about the sience part of lipids, carbohydrates and trace elements, in generall, it constitutes a very informative ''package'' for everyone. There is no specialaization in this kind of coures us I expected, because I am a food technologist, I kwnow most of the parts, but still it is really helpfull and interestin! Verry good job!

By Jennifer C

Oct 13, 2015

This is a great course for new parents who have no background on child nutrition. For those who are already familiar with basic nutrition, most of this course may be a review for you but there's some good information and facts to take away. I wish the instructor had a little more training/skill in the cooking segments (e.g. basic knife skills she said don't cut your finger but held the knife completely wrong, using the knife to point at different ingredients).

By Stephanie U

Feb 06, 2016

Very good place to start for beginners with some scientific information. Easy and quick to do food demonstrations, basic enough that students can build upon them depending on what is available at hand.

Some ideas just tend to be redundant throughout the weeks, but I guess that is what she wants to stress on. No to processed food!! :)) I just wish you kept the discussion boards open, so we have a platform to discuss ideas and exchange recipes.

By Elly V M H

Nov 09, 2015

Child Nutrition and Cooking was a pretty fun and easy course. As a stay at home mom and experience novice cook since childhood this class was more of a recap of basic cooking for me and a nice reminder of nutritional goals and current standards. I enjoyed it for my introduction to Coursera. Unfortunately this course didn't offer offer a certificate or statement of accomplishment in any form at the time I took it. :(

By Alexandra R

May 03, 2017

Dear Sir or Madam, after completing the short course introduced by Stanford school of medecine I was under the impression that I have watched James Oliver's "Food Revolution with Jamie" where he was sharing basic facts about carbs and proteins. That whould be extremely beneficial if you add more information about the healthy food, GMO and WHO organisation in your course. Thank you.

By Karina J

Aug 22, 2017

The design of the course, the videos and the lecturers are really great! I would say the overall execution of the course is much better than the other courses I've taken so far. What makes me rate this as an average is due to the contents. I expected interesting conundrums about nutrition would also be presented, but I only found a simple and common knowledge covered.

By Chelsea

Jul 01, 2016

After taking a Nordic food diet course where they talked about children's' diets in the Nordic countries and how they were changing the norm, this course covered the basics as to what and why certain foods are good for you. I had been hoping for more complex recipes, but there were some differences to my dishes that I already make which were a nice change.

By Carolina B

Jul 28, 2020

En varios de los videos se escucha un ruido de fondo cuando está dibujando en el whiteboard. Creo que podría enfocarse un poco más a nutrición y menos a la gastronomía. Me decepciona mucho que el curso no tenga ningún crédito. Cuál es el objetivo de que una universidad renombrada proporcione un curso con ustedes si no tendrá ninguna validez???

By Gerry P

Nov 19, 2015

Good course for beginners, but those with higher levels of nutrition knowledge will likely: 1. Find it way too easy; 2. Find that the recipes actually contain rather unhealthy ingredients (e.g., always avoid butter--too unhealthy); and 3. Find the lack of vegetarian, vegan, low-carb, and other diet-lifestyles discouraging.

By Rafaela M d O S

Jul 09, 2020

I would expect to have more information on vegetables. I am trying to become vegan, but I am concerned about the nutritional value. Also, the information about amino acids is out of date. How to make meals without the 8 allergens would also be helpful. I think the course was very superficial.

By james M

Aug 22, 2015

this course is very useful if you want to learn about something that majority of people(not including me) don't care about, and is based on out-dated info and opinions of a high middle class, house mom. this course is a waste of data. someone get some actual statistics here.

By Elizabeth V

Aug 27, 2019

It was a little bit basic for me. I am a pediatrician and I was looking for something more sophisticated. I know it said beginner but I figured I would try it anyway. I did find the speaker easy to understand, pleasant and informative. I did learn along the way as well.

By Gabriela V B P

May 09, 2020

I quite liked it because it had some information I was not aware of but most of it pretty basic. I wanted a more specific course, not necessarely super advanced but at least not THAT basic. Also she repeated several times the same information on each module.

By Nina L

Jun 20, 2018

Nice overview, I didn't really learn a lot of new things, but it was a good refresher and also encouraged me again to review our eating habits. I would have liked to have a bit more information about the portion sizes per food group per age range.