Back to Child Nutrition and Cooking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Child Nutrition and Cooking by Stanford University

Eating patterns that begin in childhood affect health and well-being across the lifespan. The culture of eating has changed significantly in recent decades, especially in parts of the world where processed foods dominate our dietary intake. This course examines contemporary child nutrition and the impact of the individual decisions made by each family. The health risks associated with obesity in childhood are also discussed. Participants will learn what constitutes a healthy diet for children and adults and how to prepare simple, delicious foods aimed at inspiring a lifelong celebration of easy home-cooked meals. This course will help prepare participants to be the leading health providers, teachers and parents of the present and future.The text and other material in this course may include the opinion of the specific instructor and are not statements of advice, endorsement, opinion, or information of Stanford University....

IV
Jul 24, 2021

Amazing how much I learned watching videos with all the exact words. Not only about nutrition, but about our planet and how to take care of it. Also very inspiring for having ideas for foods for kids.

RH
Sep 16, 2017

very useful and practical course.. it boosts my positive energy to cook more and more in healthy way for my baby coz much love=much healthy.. It inspired me, it's very simple , easy and very healthy..

2426 - 2450 of 2,542 Reviews for Child Nutrition and Cooking

Sep 21, 2015

E

By Davide D V

Jan 4, 2018

The course is good, but it is incredibly basic.

Perhaps for the average American it may be excellent content, but for anybody even minimally knowledgeable in nutrition everything is already well known (even the deceptive way grocery stores lay out their floorplans and shelve their products). I completed the whole course in a couple of hours (watching the videos at 2x which already felt "too slow" and required me to skip ahead not to fall asleep). I don't think I learnt anything from it which I did not know already from my mandatory nutrition class which I took in high school. But I grew up decades ago in a different country, so things may be different now and/or for people who grew up in the USA. Our family already cooks most of its meals home, we always eat together every dinner (and when schedule allows breakfast and lunch too), and we drink only water -- so I can relate with the teacher stressing these aspects, but again, this is like saying water is wet for me.

From Stanford, I was expecting something more sophisticated. For example regarding the 9 essential aminoacids: what are the recommended daily quantities for kids, which food contains them in which quantities, is it possible to have a balanced diet for a kid which is vegetarian or even vegan? If yes, how? If not why (in detail)? Not just a in passing mention of the timeworn beans-and-corn.

So in conclusion, my low rating is probably more of the result of my unmet expectations (previous paragraph) than an actual lack of the course itself (first paragraph). Probably a title such as "Home Cooking for Healthy Children" (or anything similar avoiding the word "nutrition", which implies a more scientific content), would have set my expectations right (and I would not have wasted my time on it).

By Claudia S

Jul 5, 2020

It's an ok course, very easy and understandable, well explained. It's too easy, and most of the information I already knew it, it's just common sense.

On the first test, there is a question with no option for the correct answer, and I did not felt good about completing the course without my overall tests resulting in a 100%, not being my fault but a mistake on the test itself.

What I liked the most about the course was the instructor. She is very nice to hear and see, and explain things well.

I don't think it's worth paying for have a certficate, because I didn't learn much.

By Lorena M S A

Mar 24, 2019

Eu gostei muito do curso, porém acho que poderia explorar mais questões relacionadas com alergias no sentido de ensinar a substituir alguns ingredientes. Outra questão é que gostaria de ter aprendido mais técnicas para estimular as crianças a comerem comida saudável. O que fazer quando elas se recusam a comer determinado alimento? E ainda, como fazer quando elas começam a apresentar uma seleção por alimentos pastosos ou somente de uma cor ou somente um tipo de alimento? Foram questões que ficaram faltando no curso.

By Erica B

Sep 13, 2020

The modules are rampant with bias against "big food," without considering the science. On the other hand, if you take the course as a whole, then yes, the population would be better off if we all followed the suggestions contained in this course than if we continue on our current path for how we consume food. So the general idea is not without merit. However, I would have expected better from a Stanford faculty member. What is being taught should be just the science, without opinions or biases.

By Evita

Nov 27, 2015

It is a really interesting course, it refers to the general public, with smart tips and quick recipies. Also, for those who know nothing about the sience part of lipids, carbohydrates and trace elements, in generall, it constitutes a very informative ''package'' for everyone. There is no specialaization in this kind of coures us I expected, because I am a food technologist, I kwnow most of the parts, but still it is really helpfull and interestin! Verry good job!