Back to Children Acquiring Literacy Naturally

Children Acquiring Literacy Naturally, University of California, Santa Cruz

4.3

About this Course

In this short course you will explore the possibility that children might acquire written language in a way that is similar to how they acquire spoken language—without instruction. You will encounter various aspects of behavioral science and technology that are relevant to this proposition. You will have the opportunity to learn the the perceptual, cognitive, and neurological capacities of children during their first years of life. You will advance your understanding of children and how they learn language. You will also be more attuned to current advances in the technology of human machine interactions, and what these phenomena imply for learning to read at an early age....

By MS

Jun 18, 2018

It was a very interesting course that opened up my mind regarding early literacy in children. This new perspective could be a great start for further research on the topic.

By JQ

Aug 05, 2017

The class was both fun and interesting. Thanks so much!

5 Reviews

By Maria Suarez

Jun 18, 2018

By Ara Christine Viquiera

May 20, 2018

I highly recommend this course to early childhood educators. It can change our perceptions regarding emphasis on written language for children's literacy. I also enjoyed reading and responding to the discussion forums provided in this study.

By Reshma Ravikanth

Sep 07, 2017

I thoroughly enjoyed the course. Prof. Dom Massaro speaks of many real concepts which the world doesn't seem to give enough importance to yet. All throughout the course, I kept thinking I was fortunate to have come by 'Children Acquiring Literacy Naturally'.

I am not a pre-school or kindergarten teacher, although I do have interests in teaching someday. So almost everything in the course was new for me.

I think this course is a must for parents and anyone who wants to be a parent someday. And yes, a good course for care-takers of children as well, if not others.

By JOHN QUINCY

Aug 05, 2017

The class was both fun and interesting. Thanks so much!

By Elena Alevyzaki

May 31, 2017

It is an interesting course that has several discussion prompts.