Back to Children Acquiring Literacy Naturally

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Children Acquiring Literacy Naturally by University of California, Santa Cruz

4.1

In this short course you will explore the possibility that children might acquire written language in a way that is similar to how they acquire spoken language—without instruction. You will encounter various aspects of behavioral science and technology that are relevant to this proposition. You will have the opportunity to learn the the perceptual, cognitive, and neurological capacities of children during their first years of life. You will advance your understanding of children and how they learn language. You will also be more attuned to current advances in the technology of human machine interactions, and what these phenomena imply for learning to read at an early age....

MS

Jun 18, 2018

It was a very interesting course that opened up my mind regarding early literacy in children. This new perspective could be a great start for further research on the topic.

JQ

Aug 05, 2017

The class was both fun and interesting. Thanks so much!

1 - 16 of 16 Reviews for Children Acquiring Literacy Naturally

By Reshma R

Sep 07, 2017

I thoroughly enjoyed the course. Prof. Dom Massaro speaks of many real concepts which the world doesn't seem to give enough importance to yet. All throughout the course, I kept thinking I was fortunate to have come by 'Children Acquiring Literacy Naturally'.

I am not a pre-school or kindergarten teacher, although I do have interests in teaching someday. So almost everything in the course was new for me.

I think this course is a must for parents and anyone who wants to be a parent someday. And yes, a good course for care-takers of children as well, if not others.

By Ara C V

May 20, 2018

I highly recommend this course to early childhood educators. It can change our perceptions regarding emphasis on written language for children's literacy. I also enjoyed reading and responding to the discussion forums provided in this study.

By Maria E B F

Dec 10, 2019

In this course I have understood in depth why Children can acquire literacy naturally. I can recognize in my experience and through the experiments carried out, children's abilities to learn spoken and written language, and technological advances that could make possible the natural acquisition of literacy, as early as possible. The course was of high scientific level, very interesting and entertaining.

By Maria S

Jun 18, 2018

By lpriyadarshini

Apr 08, 2020

It is a good course and the technical language is of high order. The insight questions were helpful.

By JOHN Q

Aug 05, 2017

The class was both fun and interesting. Thanks so much!

By Mohamed N S E D

By Mohamed A H H

May 07, 2019

By Lichi H

Feb 07, 2020

Well organized but I wish I could get more know-how. What teachers and parents can do on daily life to help children acquire literacy naturally? This course talks more about theory not practical advice.

By Mariela

Apr 07, 2020

Lacks dynamism and variety of visual content, all the same person explaining concepts on video. The content is interesting itself.

By Mayya M

Mar 05, 2020

Interesting information, well presented, but I had different expectations - I wanted to have practical advises.

By Elena A

May 31, 2017

It is an interesting course that has several discussion prompts.

By Lauren T

Jan 07, 2020

This course flies in the face of more than 30 years of research into how the brain learns to read. The ability to read is not acquired "naturally" as spoken language is. The brain needs to repurpose certain regions in order to link speech sounds to symbols and to store words in order to be recognized instantly. Humans, whether adults or children, do not learn to read without some form of instruction. Some may intuit the sound-letter correlations (i.e. self-teach), but most need some instruction. Please don't waste your time with the course!

By Claudia A M

Mar 05, 2019

I didn't like to participate because the approach was not good enough.