Back to Design and Interpretation of Clinical Trials

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Design and Interpretation of Clinical Trials by Johns Hopkins University

Clinical trials are experiments designed to evaluate new interventions to prevent or treat disease in humans. The interventions evaluated can be drugs, devices (e.g., hearing aid), surgeries, behavioral interventions (e.g., smoking cessation program), community health programs (e.g. cancer screening programs) or health delivery systems (e.g., special care units for hospital admissions). We consider clinical trials experiments because the investigators rather than the patients or their doctors select the treatment the patients receive. Results from randomized clinical trials are usually considered the highest level of evidence for determining whether a treatment is effective because trials incorporates features to ensure that evaluation of the benefits and risks of treatments are objective and unbiased. The FDA requires that drugs or biologics (e.g., vaccines) are shown to be effective in clinical trials before they can be sold in the US. The course will explain the basic principles for design of randomized clinical trials and how they should be reported. In the first part of the course, students will be introduced to terminology used in clinical trials and the several common designs used for clinical trials, such as parallel and cross-over designs. We will also explain some of the mechanics of clinical trials, like randomization and blinding of treatment. In the second half of the course, we will explain how clinical trials are analyzed and interpreted. Finally, we will review the essential ethical consideration involved in conducting experiments on people....

CC

Jun 05, 2020

I would highly recommend this course as I found it well-structured and helpful. After studying all the materials, I gained a great amount of knowledge in designing and interpretating clinical trail.

OS

Sep 19, 2019

This course would be most useful to the participant if pursued within a short time-frame, of maximum of 6 weeks. Both lecturers were clear and good communicators. I would take more of their classes.

76 - 100 of 467 Reviews for Design and Interpretation of Clinical Trials

By Rodrigo V P

Aug 12, 2020

It was a very useful course to get started on evaluating different studies. This will definitely help me to improve mi capability on choosing good articles for their revision. Thanks!

By Julie T

Mar 04, 2020

Succinct course which includes a good overview of clinical trial design as well as additional readings for deeper understanding of FDA requirements and guidelines for clinical trials.

By GRETA P P A

As a medical student, this course was and will be very helpful. I believe that, in order to understand clinical practice, we must also understand where its base knowledge come from

By Kelli A

Oct 25, 2017

I work as a protocol activation coordinator for a large clinical trials office. I am new to this role and this course was very valuable in helping me get started with this career

By Federica F

May 15, 2020

I have just started working in the clinical trials field and I find this course very useful to deepen topics that I didn't have yet the opportunity to study. I do recommend it!

By Po-Ju C

Jun 01, 2020

A well-designed course. As a biologist, it is relatively easy but I learned a lot while the experimental subject is human beings. It provides a great aspect transition for me!

By Luis A M G

Jun 20, 2019

This course is excellent to introduce you in the topic, and the content is very well. This course provided me the knowledges for connect data of preclinic and clinic studies.

By Anklesh R

Simple language, to the point discussion, case study easy to understand. A Course a layman can understand. I would like to have such course on bio equivalence studies also.

By Elena P

Mar 23, 2020

Very informative and well structured. Pleasure to learn!

I will definitely expand on my knowledge with further studies on these topics inspired by the excellent presenters.

By Aditi A

Sep 23, 2017

Extremely useful for scholars and post-grad students, or really, anyone who is interested to work in the field of Clinical Research. Thank you for a brilliant compilation!

By Khaled K

May 08, 2018

It's very informative , with lots of essential info. about clinical trials , If you interested in knowing the fundamentals of clinical trials , so this course is worthy !

By Carolina S V

Dec 06, 2017

This course gives a excellent overview of design and interpretation of clinical trials. I recommend it for all graduate students and people involved in clinical research.

By Rose K D

Jan 27, 2017

I really enjoyed the course and believe the information was really beneficial. They gave great examples of studies that included the techniques that were being reviewed.

By Carla M

Jul 12, 2019

I think is a great introductory course, covering main topics and issues on clinical trials. In my case, I was completely new on the subject and it was very educational.

By Uzma R

Dec 20, 2016

Very comprehensive and understandable. Thanks for uploading such an informative course. Now I will read the method section of the article that I use to skip very often.

By SHAILEE R

Sep 17, 2019

Great course for people in clinical research field. This intense information on randomization and clinical trail design is very helpful to me to advance my skill sets

By Owen B R

Apr 13, 2020

Very insightful. I have been dealing with reading, interpreting and presenting clinical trials for the last 20 years and still learned lots. Thank you very much.

By Evan M

Aug 05, 2019

Great introduction to RCTs. As a data scientist, I found the discussions on the different RCT designs, as well as the methods for randomization, very valuable.

By keerthana

May 12, 2019

Very beautifully built course. Gave me a good understanding about the RCTs. The best thing is a concise but precise information that is very student friendly

By arianna p

Oct 13, 2016

This is my first course in Coursera and I found it really enjoyable. It is well organized and easily explained. I improved my knowledge about this argument.

By Christopher D

Jun 20, 2020

Excellent course for those in the healthcare and pharma background. It helps a lot when you refer to research papers which include a clinical trial aspect.

By RAMANI V D

Jun 02, 2020

This course is well design to get through understanding about clinical trials. I really enjoyed the quiz part, which was thought provoking and well planed.

By Hoang B L

Apr 16, 2018

The knowledge you'll learn and obtain in this course is rich and very helpful. Please spend time watching the videos and reviewing the materials carefully.

By Luísa S N d S

Jan 16, 2018

Good, didactic material. I liked the discussion part because it allowed us to reflect upon the things we've just learned and apply them to our backgrounds.

By SWAROOP G M

May 08, 2020

This was my first course in coursera and i understood the basics of the course. The concepts were well explained with related examples and case studies.