Back to Coexistence in Medieval Spain: Jews, Christians, and Muslims

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Coexistence in Medieval Spain: Jews, Christians, and Muslims by University of Colorado System

This course explores Jewish, Christian, and Muslim intercultural relations in Iberia from the Visigothic era (6th century CE) until the creation of Queen Isabel I and King Ferdinand II Catholic Spain (late 15th century). We evaluate the many identities of the peninsula known as Christian Hispania, Jewish Sefarad, and Islamic al-Andalus. We trace the origins and trajectory of conflict between these communities (the Muslim conquest of Spain, Christian Reconquista, prohibitions blocking intermixing of peoples, and expulsions). We aim to understand conflicts within communities as well, such as the tensions between Christian Arian Visigoths and native Catholic Iberians or the fundamentalist North African Almohad Dynasty that rejected the Spanish Umayyad Caliphate’s preference for religious tolerance. We delve into an appreciation of collaboration and coexistence among these communities. We explore the unique role of the Jewish community who Muslims and Christians depended upon as political and cultural intermediaries as well as their intellectual collaborators. We find the history of how peoples attempted to create and manage viable diverse communities. As we study this history, the Honors Track will employ an investigative process (“The Historian’s Craft”) that involves viewing, reading, analyzing, and reflecting on events, peoples, places, and artifacts....

TR
Aug 5, 2020

Awesome! I am going to revisit this class readings and keep learning. Amazing videos! Abundance of knowledge shared! Above and beyond of what I thought this class could be! Thank you so much!!!

JJ
Mar 23, 2018

Excellent course. Informative and well-presented in a variety of formats (reading, video, virtual simulations).

1 - 25 of 33 Reviews for Coexistence in Medieval Spain: Jews, Christians, and Muslims

By JG

Mar 24, 2018

By Paulo R V P

Jun 2, 2018

Excellent course on coexistence and religious tolerance, increasingly important to us today.

By Sergio M Y

Jul 22, 2019

Very interesting the perspective from the muslim point of view

By Maureen T

Oct 13, 2018

I have truly enjoyed this course. I have been reading around this subject since I was a teenager. I spent years trying to find a course on it,and I couldn't really afford to take another degree. So, I went back to reading anything I could on this topic,including travelling to Spain on flamenco and sight seeing holidays, L'institut du Monde Arabe for more literature, etc,etc. Just by accident,I found this course ,after enrolling on several online education sites.

This course has a lot of material, videos, extracts, quizzes, forums and analysing and reviewing artefacts,and listening to Andalusi/ Sephardic music,reading poetry etc. I enrolled as an interested learner but it was so interesting,with things I hadn't known about,before,I upgraded. Yes,if you want to get a lot of it,you have to put in the work. The quizzes were a mixture of medium difficulty to challenging: they really kept me on my toes. I learned a lot about honing my skills as a historian : evaluating ,reviewing,reflecting on historical artefacts, with their contexts and significance.

The videos have transcripts/ subtitles facilities. You can work at your own pace,within the time given.

By the end of the course,I had a far deeper and detailed ,joined up understanding of history,politics,art,culture/ anthropology of co existence in Moorish/ Medieval Spain. I shall certainly enrol on the Deciphering Secrets series.

The main lecturer,Roger Louis Martinez- Davila is very enthusiastic, encouraging and dedicated lecturer. I really respect his efforts within this course and all the other interrelated projects he has done. Great contributions from others,too.

A very enriching journey and experience

By Cansu A

May 5, 2018

I really enjoyed the course, it was very educative and inspring. The videos were, particularly the Virtual Plasencia was quite interesting. I loved how the course rncoutaged the audirnce to wuestion the terminology and meaning of the words within different historical contexts. I highly recommend it to everyone interested in Mediterranean history, history of Spain and Middle Ages. Thank you for this lovely intellectual experience Roger ^_^

By Delia G P S

Jul 10, 2019

Ha sido un curso realmente maravilloso en el que no solamente nos brindaron herramientas para el trabajo histórico sino que ilustraron de una manera sumamente amigable la forma en la que judíos, cristianos y musulmanes lograron convivir en el espacio de la Península Ibérica.

By Jo N

Feb 23, 2018

Was really looking forward to this course but was extremely disappointed. I do these courses to learn about unfamiliar subjects, but there was nothing here to add to my general knowledge. Such a shame, as it is potentially a fascinating area of study. I expect the in-course quizzes to check my understanding of what I have learned, not as a means of the poor quality presenter finding my opinion on the state of the world today. I shall not be wasting more of my time on this.

By Diego P P

Aug 14, 2020

This is a very nice course for someone who has interest on expand their knowledge in Iberian History. It was very nice structured and I think it is an excellent job from the professor to start the course with an introduction of the main topic of the course ¿What does coexistence mean?, this is a key question to study the content of the course.

The material used (lectures, book chapters, videos, images) were excellent, it is amazing studying through a digital platform that allows you to have access to a lot of materials that you can even check after the end of the course.

Finally I would like to thank professor Martinez because all my expectations were exceeded with the course. Thanks for all the time and effort on putting all this together.

By Elizabeth T A

Sep 28, 2020

It was a very interesting and illuminating course. I loved the virtual visits to archives, as wells many readings that illustrated the topics presented.

I would love to do a Comparative Religions in our day.

Any suggestions?

As soon as the pandemic allows, I will go and visit Spain and spend time enjoying the spaces we discussed.

Enjoyed Professor Roger Luis Martinez-Dávila. his love for his specialty is contagious. I very much admired his respect and veneration for his selected profession.

Elizabeth Tavares Arsénio

By MAXIM B

Aug 5, 2020

It was a truly eye-opening course. I learnt more about multiculturalism from this course than from any other course I have taken earlier. Even though it felt somewhat raw due to a low number of students, I still managed to make the most of it. I would like to congratulate Dr. Roger Louis Martínez-Dávila on this extraordinary work. We need more courses like this in order to raise awareness about this compelling period of the Spanish and the world's history. ¡Viva la Convivenca!

By Marcelo V

Jul 24, 2020

This is an excellent course with a very well planned sequence. The videos not only enforce the contents of the course but also provide a window to historical sites in museums, synagogues and mosques, and presentations from experts.

By Maria C

Jul 15, 2020

I really enjoyed this course due to its excellent short videos and quizzes on the history of Spain. I very much liked the authentic videos from Spain and the interviews with local experts, but, at times they did speak too quickly.

By TyAnn S R

Aug 6, 2020

By Adrain

May 1, 2020

If you want to learn more about Spanish medieval history, please enter this course, it is your best choice.

By Ipek B

Nov 20, 2018

It was more beneficial and educational than I thought. Amazing teacher, great course design

By vinka n

it is a great course, I see a new things that I never expected before. thank you

By M. C

Mar 29, 2020

Very interesting, and informative. I thank the Professor for a wonderful class.

By Najmussaman P

Aug 25, 2020

Broadly learned the history of Spain with some visual information.

By Jose M E R

Aug 9, 2019

I am so enjoying this. Fun and interesting.

By Ramon L S R

Jul 15, 2020

perfect

By Carolyn S

Nov 16, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed this course and gained a wealth of knowledge on the coexistence of medieval Spain - Jewish, Muslim and Christian way of life, environment and religion. The difficulty I did encounter was trying to keep up with the sub-titles while watching the videos. I highly recommend this course to anyone who is interested in history.

By Georgina W

Jan 31, 2020

This course contains a lot of information . However, one thing that I feel that it is lacking is information on the gypsies in Spain during this entire span of time. Even just one video or reading looking into the gypsy's place in the culture should be added to this course.