Back to Coexistence in Medieval Spain: Jews, Christians, and Muslims

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Coexistence in Medieval Spain: Jews, Christians, and Muslims by University of Colorado System

This course explores Jewish, Christian, and Muslim intercultural relations in Iberia from the Visigothic era (6th century CE) until the creation of Queen Isabel I and King Ferdinand II Catholic Spain (late 15th century). We evaluate the many identities of the peninsula known as Christian Hispania, Jewish Sefarad, and Islamic al-Andalus. We trace the origins and trajectory of conflict between these communities (the Muslim conquest of Spain, Christian Reconquista, prohibitions blocking intermixing of peoples, and expulsions). We aim to understand conflicts within communities as well, such as the tensions between Christian Arian Visigoths and native Catholic Iberians or the fundamentalist North African Almohad Dynasty that rejected the Spanish Umayyad Caliphate’s preference for religious tolerance. We delve into an appreciation of collaboration and coexistence among these communities. We explore the unique role of the Jewish community who Muslims and Christians depended upon as political and cultural intermediaries as well as their intellectual collaborators. We find the history of how peoples attempted to create and manage viable diverse communities. As we study this history, the Honors Track will employ an investigative process (“The Historian’s Craft”) that involves viewing, reading, analyzing, and reflecting on events, peoples, places, and artifacts....

TR
Aug 5, 2020

Awesome! I am going to revisit this class readings and keep learning. Amazing videos! Abundance of knowledge shared! Above and beyond of what I thought this class could be! Thank you so much!!!

GO
Jul 12, 2021

Excellent. If you are interested in History, and if you are Latin American it can give you a sense of identity an give you understanding of many aspects of our current day to day life.

26 - 38 of 38 Reviews for Coexistence in Medieval Spain: Jews, Christians, and Muslims

By Najmussaman P

Aug 25, 2020

Broadly learned the history of Spain with some visual information.

By Carlos R S

Feb 9, 2021

Excelente curso introductorio a la España medieval.

By Jose M E R

Aug 9, 2019

I am so enjoying this. Fun and interesting.

By Ramon L S R

Jul 15, 2020

perfect

By jeffrey m

Jun 8, 2021

I​ learned a lot on a subject that I knew nothing about. The multiple teachers were interesting and kept my interest. The speed of the presentation of the translations (subtitles) was too quick though. I often had a difficult time keeping up with the lecture and had to repeat the video on numerous occasions. The information was extensive and the multiple learning options more than plentiful. I enjoyed the course.

By Carolyn S

Nov 16, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed this course and gained a wealth of knowledge on the coexistence of medieval Spain - Jewish, Muslim and Christian way of life, environment and religion. The difficulty I did encounter was trying to keep up with the sub-titles while watching the videos. I highly recommend this course to anyone who is interested in history.

By Marianne H

May 22, 2018

Fascinating material beautifully presented. On an irrelevant point, the instructor's voice is lovely - it sounds more like a guided meditation than a lecture! :-)

By Joy S

Feb 28, 2018

Has a lot of stuff to see and do: quite a few options.

By Michael F

Dec 1, 2020

interesting topic, but not a lot of substance. I understand the angle taken of trying to have a non biased approach, but the quizzes were essentially passable by finding the answer that implied christians were always the villains of the story.

By Zhuravleva J

Aug 24, 2019

Too much information not connected to the theme of the course.