Back to Combinatorics and Probability

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Combinatorics and Probability by University of California San Diego

Counting is one of the basic mathematically related tasks we encounter on a day to day basis. The main question here is the following. If we need to count something, can we do anything better than just counting all objects one by one? Do we need to create a list of all phone numbers to ensure that there are enough phone numbers for everyone? Is there a way to tell that our algorithm will run in a reasonable time before implementing and actually running it? All these questions are addressed by a mathematical field called Combinatorics. In this course we discuss most standard combinatorial settings that can help to answer questions of this type. We will especially concentrate on developing the ability to distinguish these settings in real life and algorithmic problems. This will help the learner to actually implement new knowledge. Apart from that we will discuss recursive technique for counting that is important for algorithmic implementations. One of the main `consumers’ of Combinatorics is Probability Theory. This area is connected with numerous sides of life, on one hand being an important concept in everyday life and on the other hand being an indispensable tool in such modern and important fields as Statistics and Machine Learning. In this course we will concentrate on providing the working knowledge of basics of probability and a good intuition in this area. The practice shows that such an intuition is not easy to develop. In the end of the course we will create a program that successfully plays a tricky and very counterintuitive dice game. As prerequisites we assume only basic math (e.g., we expect you to know what is a square or how to add fractions), basic programming in python (functions, loops, recursion), common sense and curiosity. Our intended audience are all people that work or plan to work in IT, starting from motivated high school students. Do you have technical problems? Write to us: coursera@hse.ru...

JC
Sep 8, 2020

It's a perfect introduction to combinatorics and probability, short, fun, and easy to understand. I would like to see more puzzles, those are extremely fun and interesting

KB
Dec 25, 2019

Great course, lots of good info, not too long. Some of the coding assignments and quizzes are challenging, but the staff respond very quickly to questions in the forums.

126 - 145 of 145 Reviews for Combinatorics and Probability

By Elton M

May 5, 2018

The probability section could be more visual.

By Saurabh P

Great course with lots of exercises.

By Michael K H E

Jan 21, 2019

Prof Vlad has really great examples!

By Ramesh

Dec 9, 2017

Probability section was little weak

By Lionel L R Q

Jun 24, 2020

The last assignment is fun :)

By MANOJ B B ( i C

Jul 28, 2020

It was very good

By LakshmanPatel

Oct 29, 2020

Awesome course

By M. A

Jul 27, 2020

The course is fine, but there are some problems. First, the instructors' explanations in the video sometimes inaudible. One should be careful when watching the lecture video. Second, there are some grammatical mistakes, particularly in the last week (Week 6). As far as I know, die is singular and dice is plural. There is no word "dices", yet one of the instructors uses this terminology. Third, there are some notational differences in this course to those normally used in probability theory. I don't know why the instructors use the lowercase variables f and g (instead of the standards X and Y) to denote random variables. And finally, some of the proofs are not rigorously explained. I advise whoever taking this class to refer to any standard textbook in combinatorics and probability theory. Nevertheless, despite all these problems, this course combines mathematical thinking and programming in an interesting setting. Perhaps, this is how mathematics is delivered in Russia, which is renown for its competitive programming achievements.

By Luis M V F

Dec 29, 2019

This is course is informative, but the instructors in general are terrible. I do not like too much the approach the follow, and I cannot see a good mathematical background. In addition, some explanations are very vague. The contents of the course are great, but I strongly recommend reviewing materials by yourself if you really want to learn.

By Tarun M

May 20, 2019

This course really brought the best out of me in terms of logical programming. The last task needed hours of hard work, but was a fun challenge. However, I felt that the instructors could have been a bit more responsive on the forums to help us clear our doubts.

By Amy G

Apr 6, 2020

Learning content was too easy - covers things from high school algebra. The instructions for the final project also don't indicate that you have to redefine all previous functions in each code block for the code to be graded correctly.

By Remy E F

Feb 6, 2019

Sometimes difficult to follow along with the accent for material that I already found new and challenging. Needed to supplement with Khan Academy and other sources.

By huda g

Jun 2, 2018

the course was so amazing but sorry it was little hard in weeks 2

the sum of tringle i didn't understand it !!

By Ghali L H

Sep 18, 2020

The final project's guide is not good.

More assistance should be required from the instructors.

By Rohit k

Apr 28, 2020

Material is not that strong and new for a math student, it should be more challenging.

By Shubham C

Jul 30, 2020

Teaching style may not suit to you. First take audit course for try.

By Konstantin K

Dec 4, 2017

It is better to read slides and do not watch the videos

By Jithin S

Oct 18, 2020

The french professor is not great at explaing

By Suman S

Feb 10, 2020

I liked the course, but it should have a disclaimer of the pre-requisite of good python knowledge required. The last assignment is 23% of the total grades. Unfortunately, instructors don't even teach any basics of python to tackle the assignments. This is the most unprofessional thing about the course. The rest of the material in the course is fun. I am giving the course a 2-star rating because of my deep struggle with the last assignment.

By Ryan B