Back to The Bits and Bytes of Computer Networking

TS
Aug 5, 2019

This was a very fun course! I really enjoyed the style and pace of the information given. A lot of technical information was given while the course made it easy to take in and comprehend the material!

AA
Mar 25, 2020

Great course. It is great for beginners and for people that may have forgotten a thing or two. The way it was taught makes it so much better than reading man pages or something else as dry and boring.

26 - 50 of 7,395 Reviews for The Bits and Bytes of Computer Networking

By Dariia L

Jan 14, 2019

A lot of new and useful information!

By Jake D

May 7, 2018

Information overload that wasn't explained the best. There were points that made complete sense and then their were points that left me wondering if my IQ went down 10 points. Overall, I thought it was a good learning experience. The weakest part of the learning material was the binary conversation section. This was explained so bad that I don't even think Cisco would understand. Definitely use a different source for information outside of this course.

By Charles

Apr 8, 2020

I feel this course could have included so much more information, and benefited from more time spent explaining some of this stuff. It was unfortunately a lot of a guy just talking on screen, reading a teleprompter. It had some errors and over-generalizations, plus many of the exams were just simple drag and drop games that didn't really demonstrate our learned knowledge. I did come out of it learning new things, and already had a good solid basis in networking knowledge and maybe that's why I wasn't totally happy? Maybe someone with zero knowledge in networking would have found this more useful.

By Austin L

Jul 18, 2018

Could greatly benefit from more a more developed visual component. Especially in Subnetting.

By Ian I

Jun 12, 2018

Definitely teaches you the basic of networking that are needed to understand how it works as a whole. Would recommend anyone who is interested in learning about networking to enroll in this course.

By YELOGNISSE D

Feb 12, 2019

i learned a lot of things about this course , how computers are connecting to each other, and the real mechanism which happen inside the computers when two or more nodes is interconnectes

By aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Dec 8, 2018

This course is exceptional, so much modern day knowledge in IT.

By Geoffrey S P

Jan 16, 2020

Learned more googling the subjects then from the course. At least one question on every test was a trick question and when you got something wrong, the only comment was 'this is incorrect please review this section of the course." Then the answer to the question was usually a single sentence lost in a lake of babbling. All in all it felt like I was either supposed to learn through failure or that asking the internet is going to be a regular thing in IT.

By Doug L

Feb 24, 2021

This course was amazing and helped me understand so much more about networking, things I never thought I would know or understand. Very fulfilling and I can't wait to use this knowledge going forward.

By Edgar O

Apr 23, 2020

the only reason why i give it two stars is because, i wish there could be more interactive material as he is explaining lesson(s) there is SO MUCH THEORY that it is very difficult to remeber and to do notes on, making it very difficult to understand as there is no visuals of how it works just tons and tons of theory.

explanations are understandable and easy to go with.

but i really struggle with this course because i had to do a second research of what i was l learning so i could have an idea of how everything works. how IP addresses travel and so on, that without a visual at first it was super hard to comprehend. specially being a first timer.

if you could add some visual tutorials as they are explaining itll be better, to much 255.255.255.........

127.0.0............

to much going back and fourth abaout everything and no visuals.

By Jaiden K L

Sep 27, 2019

The method of teaching in this course doesn't really lend itself to applied knowledge that can actually be utilized in the workforce. That's not to say that I didn't learn anything, but I agree with many commenters who feel like there should have been more visual aids instead of just someone speaking about terms off of a teleprompter. Also the tests and assignments could be better formatted instead of making you regurgitate acronyms and terms. The special plugins that were part of the assessments always seemed to have problems also.

By Jeremy P

May 28, 2019

Needs hands on set up. eg: setting up vpn

By Daniel R

Apr 3, 2020

I needed to look up youtube videos to understand what was being taught. A talking head is not a good teaching tool for this subject. There were so many abstract concepts and acronyms that were addressed, but not explained. I don't feel like this part of the course has equipped me properly, and now I will need to look elsewhere to learn the information I need.

By Gregory S

The videos in this course are probably some of the worst out there, you are better off watching youtube videos on the subject and guessing on the quizzes. Week 2's graded assignment was more painful than when i broke my leg, It took me 12 attempts over 5 days to finally get the answers correct. Check the forum posts for the answers.

By michael m S

Apr 26, 2020

I needed help and non can be found. I would like to have some type of tutor available

By Mohammad O

Dec 2, 2019

Quiz in subset is very confusing, not clear how to perform quiz.

By Ashley G

Dec 30, 2020

The course had some ups and downs, but it was a good challenge and I did it! I learned so much and I never knew I could do this kind of course. I have gained so much knowledge now from when I started.

By John A V G

Aug 12, 2020

I really enjoy this module. Everything taught was new for me. I already know what is DNS or VPN between a lot of topics showed. I'm Thankful with Google to allow people like me learn in a way so easy.

By Zachary F

Feb 27, 2020

learned a lot of definitions, they never actually tell you how to setup a network and their is little to no practicality

By Brandon M

Mar 2, 2018

Some of the interactive quizzes could have been better explained and administered in a more efficient way. For example, the final quiz converting IPv6 to IPv4 shortened address - you should not have to continually redo answers that you already had correct. The way the quiz is administered is 10 random IPv6 numbers. It should have been done in such a way that once you get one correct, it won't generate again. A lot of the interactive quizzes were given this way and it just made them more time consuming. Imagine getting 9/10 right and you make a small error on the 10th. You then have to redo all 10 again despite having gotten 9 right previously. It's just inefficient. Other than that everything else was great. I'd like to see a mix of multiple choice and fill-in-the-blank on the quizzes instead of just one way or the other but that's not that big of a deal because there are flaws with both types of questions. I'd also consider doing away with the peer graded essays. I get the purpose for them, but I also don't think people were grading them fairly or thoroughly. I know for a fact that I did not include one of the items that was asked and 2/3 people gave me a passing mark on that particular item which shows flat out that they did not take the time to read through my submission. Overall great job, I'm enjoying the courses so far.

By Milind M J

Aug 23, 2020

OMG learned a lot, so many things got covered which i don't even know even if I in second Year in Computer Eng. Glad I found this course. Really Help a lot.Now im not the same person in my class. I have very solid foundation of networking. Yeahh

By Stephanie W

Jun 22, 2021

This course was more intensive than the first one, but felt a little more hands-on. I am excited to see how the next course goes. I do feel I learned quite a bit in this course and it was challenging.

By SH K

Feb 19, 2021

This was really time-consuming but it was really worth learning. Although in the end, it seems to be very basic things, they would be essential through whatever you want to accomplish in the IT field.

By Iftekhar M T

May 3, 2020

Thanks to Google for coming up with such an awesome course. If you're new to networking, you've got to stick to your guns & deal with the course patiently. Just one area of improvement, the course would've been x10 effective had they provided practical & more visual stuff. It's all theory & there's only so much you can remember. But anyway, I've definitely taken away a ton of value from this course. I would recommend it to any beginner just heading out with networking.

By Yunhua J

Jun 23, 2019

Great contents, but I feel that the way these contents are delivered can be significantly improved in two ways.

1. For more than half contents of this course, it is delivered in the logic follow/pipeline of "theory followed by examples". However, I feel the other way around, i.e. "examples followed by theory" would make it way more effective.If theories are shown before examples are presented, students will be very confusing until they see the examples, which they are very familiar in daily life ---- Everyone is "familiar" with the Internet (in terms of examples).The other way, "examples followed by theory" will be way more intuitive. Through examples (that you have seen in your daily life) you will know what problems you need to solve, and then followed by the theories or methods about how to solve it. In this way you know your target at the very beginning through something you are familiar with. It will be more comfortable to look into the theories and terminologies afterwards.

2. Show the slides instead of the instructor for most of the time, and use clean background without characters/letters for the instructor. All the terminologies are very new to students, seeing them visually at the same time (especially when they have an inner connection) will make the learning experience for new theories/terminologies much smoother. Currently, the terminologies only occasionally show up in a distracting background with fancy lights of other characters, which is really confusing, making students lost until the slides with examples shown up.