Back to The Bits and Bytes of Computer Networking

TS
Aug 5, 2019

This was a very fun course! I really enjoyed the style and pace of the information given. A lot of technical information was given while the course made it easy to take in and comprehend the material!

SW
Jun 21, 2021

This course was more intensive than the first one, but felt a little more hands-on. I am excited to see how the next course goes. I do feel I learned quite a bit in this course and it was challenging.

6851 - 6875 of 7,362 Reviews for The Bits and Bytes of Computer Networking

By William S L

Feb 6, 2018

More complicated and complex, maybe not as well for someone with no experience. Problem with fill-in-the-blank graded quizes are even though you might have the right word, if it is spelled wrong at all, it is not accepted. Probably not easy for people that don't have English as their first language. Questions also don't help explain why and answer is wrong and what the right answer is, just to review the lesson again, but sometimes reviewing the lesson doesn't help if you just aren't getting it. The peer-reviewed assignment seems very complex and vague. There isn't a rubric to look at ahead of time, but once you turn it in, you can see it by reviewing others and resubmit. The peer-reviewed assignment almost made me want to stop taking this course and not continue. I wonder how many other people felt held-up by this assignment. First person I reviewed turned in a blank document, second person just listed definitions and not the processes. I listed definitions and processes, but feel like I did way more work than I was suppose to. Again, it was very vague and leaves interpretation up to the ones reviewing the work.

By Victor O

Aug 17, 2020

This course does try its best to take a huge topic and make it easier to understand. I think to some extent, they achieved that goal, but at the cost of the students not feeling that they learned enough to get employed with what they learned.

The course, in a broad sense, was formatted well. However, in the specific weeks I feel that the material could have been presented in a different order so that students would get less confused. I found myself getting confused with something in a lesson, getting frustrated over it, saying "screw it" and continuing on, only to find that they explain it in more detail the following week. They would essentially barrel down a road and then back up to go over things we missed, which was just confusing.

I think this isnt a bad course since I did learn more about networking than I would have if I had tried to learn completely on my own. It is a good way of seeing what your need to learn. However, its hard to say whether this really prepares you for a job as they have advertised. I think you need to take the following courses, and maybe the material learned here will make more sense.

By William R W

Nov 25, 2020

This course is at best a mediocre starting point for computer networking. It is poorly organized and edited----being replete with interrupting patches, and worse still, far more patent errors in sore need of correction. However, I suspect that many blunders may be fixed as this certification is refined. What concerns me the most at this point: the course is advertised as a step in preparation for the CompTIA A+ certification exam. Students are being set up to fail! Much of the terminology presented in this course misinforms students' understanding of core network concepts. In many cases, terms veer so far consensus and industry standards toward opinions peculiar the Google IT Support Specialist as it is currently iterated. I suppose the authors cover them selves by offering links to "supplemental reading". When perused the contradictions are astounding. My guess is your going to be very frustrated whenever you go for real network certifications and find out you were misinformed on much of the basics. If you find that acceptable, then by all means proceed.

By Daniel H

Oct 3, 2020

The information in this course is vital, but the presentation could use a lot of work. Closed Captioning needs to be edited for deaf/HoH folk, and the transcriptions should be better formatted for clarity as well. A block of text is very hard to parse, even for someone who can watch the video as well as read.

There are nowhere near enough practical examples provided. Dense information is presented with no way to help clarify. Particularly, the Subnetting quiz is a disaster. That section does little to prepare you for it, and it was only through the help of the discussion forums and several hours of outside material that I was able to complete it.

Due to the length of this course (6 weeks instead of the previous 5) and the density of its content, I believe it could benefit from alternating the host partway through. Each host can present the information with their own flair, spin, and mannerisms, minimizing monotony and potentially providing a new and different way to connect with the material.

By Leonard W

May 17, 2018

Things that can help this class improve:

1.More visual aid

2. less quizzes and more activities (The quizzes end up being these tedious open book tests that just teach you how to research and fill in the blanks versus actually understanding networking concepts, I'm still pretty lost on the concepts of routing tables and sub-netting)

3. Break up the videos with questions like what was done in course 1 (This is much more effective than quizzes because it keeps attention on the material. It was really hard to keep focus during this module and I believe My knowledge retention suffered because of it)

My main criticism of this module is that it goes through very tricky concepts way too fast. I had a hard time keeping up with the individual parts of the five layer network model. It was very tricky visualizing these concepts in action, especially with week 2, I had to do a lot of independent research just to keep on track.

I hope this feedback is helpful

By Ankit B

Aug 15, 2020

This course consisted of too many technical terms. Victor was very good at explaining everything. However, his lectures were probably easily understood by students with some IT or Computer background. However, most videos kept mentioning that we didn't need IT or Computer background to complete this course. In order to do this, I feel that Victor could have better explained technical explanations followed by some real life human examples as well as adding some sort of exercise for students to ensure that they understood the concept for each week as well as an exercise that would test the comprehensive knowledge of all of the concepts working together in this 6 week training. I feel that I am some what lost if I have to explain some of the items in this course. I definitely don't think I would be able to explain the technical aspects (examples) provided in this training if I was asked questions during an interview.

By James F C

Aug 27, 2020

I had to take a Network+ course as part of my IT Management A.S. degree. Because networking is so complex and there are so many associated terms to learn, all of the course quizzes and even the final exam were given open book... otherwise there'd by a high fail rate.

This course was more abbreviated than that but I still learned important things that I had already forgotten or never quite grasped from the college course. But, the in-depth technical details of networking are still somewhat fuzzy to me because of how complex it all really is. Network engineers are no dummies, that's for sure.

For subjects this extremely technical and complex, I feel strongly that detailed graphics are an absolutely crucial teaching tool. So I wish that this course would've presented many more graphics to help explain the course content and help students better visualize what was being discussed by the instructor(s).

By Signija A

Aug 3, 2021

No doubt that provided information and given knowledge is great.

I'm unsatisfied and disappointed with support when it's needed. There is Quiz where everybody stucks. There is no explanation, no help when asked and basically if you don't have friends from IT field you are out. I read all possible info all around, but still didn't get through. And I don't think this is the point of distance learning - to leave you alone when you ask Qs, without explanation how to understand better the Quiz. On the forum you can see, students ask questions - but there is no answer from professionals. You get the answers from the same students as you - but it doesn't help to understand. So, I wanted to finish this course, but after many tries to reach the help - I 'm leaving this course.

By Brooke F

May 2, 2018

I'm finding that the videos are doing a really good job of building things up from the bottom. I keep getting quite frustrated though because the beginning of each week seems to be just a bunch of definition/explanation of concepts that I cannot tie together being so new to some of this stuff. Week three was especially hard to get through because it seemed all disconnected until the very end. I know the first video always goes "After this course you'll be able to...", but it would be nice to actually see the end point and then build up to it so I could start to put things together better as things progress. This would have especially been helpful in week 3. If I had seen that last video first, then again at the end everything would have made much more since sooner.

By Mikey B

Jun 28, 2020

I definitely gained the knowledge to at least be able to talk about networking and how networking works. The course videos are very information dense and it will take a few times to go through them while taking notes. My main problem is that almost all, except for a small bit at the end, was networking theory and no practical real world skills. It would have been extremely helpful to actually include networking scenarios or help desk support common networking issues. They only had one at the end. Theory is great, but it needed more practical application. For example, they could have included how to set up a DHCP server, or actually creating a network from scratch for a small business, or a daily routine of maintaining a network for a big/small business.

By taylor p

Jul 7, 2018

This content is presented poorly. In some parts it is unnecessarily complicated, and in others you assume or leave out critical information for understanding what is going on. I will try from now on to take a more detail log of when this occurs so I can present a helpful review. However, for almost every module I have had to look to an outside source to complete it and once I learn it, then I have to suffer through the video which is weirdly organized and full of terrible puns. I understand that it is important to be a self learner in IT, and I assure you, I have taught myself many things proficiently, but It is hard to feel like this certificate will even be taken seriously when the medium is so difficult to learn from. Who knows, maybe it is just me.

By Mike S

Apr 16, 2020

This is a lot of "book learning". As an IT help desk manager and IT support specialist for over a decade, I don't feel that these lessons are very applicable to what a technician will encounter "in the field". While these concepts are helpful to establish a foundation, I feel that these lessons would be a lot more helpful if they included more "real world" examples. For example: how to hook up a computer, identify ports, proper running of wiring and ergonomics, installing cards and memory, setting up multiple displays, configuring switches and routers, how to do punchdowns, understanding the troubleshooting process, etc. Basically more hands on and less theory.

By Braden B

Aug 12, 2021

There are a lot of factual and reference errors in these videos, and the questions are often confusingly written or sometimes just plain wrong. The ipv6 validator in the penultimate quiz is a good example, as it marks something like '9930:cafa::52:4cc:7b7a:37:27e6' wrong while '9930:cafa:0:52:4cc:7b7a:37:27e6' is correct. While it's true that the latter one is *A* correct ipv6 address, it's not *THE* correct ipv6 address. The former is correct, too, but whoever wrote the quiz opted for a big dumb "a === b" comparison rather than write a proper validator. Something I managed to do in JavaScript in about 15 minutes. Which is just plain lazy.

By Jessica B

Oct 11, 2020

This course introduced a lot of important information pertaining to networking; however, I found myself seeking assistance outside of the course for each week's learning material. It felt like much of the information was explained in a very confusing manner. I might recommend that Google re-evaluate how they choose to present the information learned throughout this course so as to keep learners engaged. Much of the time, I felt like giving up due to the denseness of the material at hand and the difficulty I had in understanding the provided examples, whether they were presented by the instructor or through supplemental links or diagrams.

By Aisha Q

Sep 10, 2020

The instructor doesn't always arrange the material in a logical flow. I find myself using the transcript to skip over certain segues to understand the point he's trying to make. He also interrupts the flow to mention that he'll discuss a particular topic later, which seems unnecessary to mention at all. Also, at times he glosses over topics that later come in the assessments. I found myself googling a lot of information especially from week 4 which was frustrating because the answers I got were difficult for a beginner to understand. The topics in the other weeks are explained well, but week 4 was a nightmare to understand.

By Kwaku A

Nov 11, 2020

Disclaimer: I only did around 1 1/2 weeks worth of content, I unenrolled in week 2. Hence the 3 rating rather than a 1 or a 2.

I have struggled with networking in the past, I thought this course would actually help me and better understand networking but I still couldn't get the hang of it. I just felt like there was so much information being thrown at you and you just have to remember it, there was a lot of terminology that I felt wasn't revisted (That may be because I didn't finish it). I think it would be better if the course was split into two parts so theres more opportunity to nail down what there is to know.

By Daxton M

Jun 12, 2020

For me personally, this course was pretty challenging compared to the other course I took. I feel like some of the videos in this course were too long, and others too short. I wish some topics they went into further detail but I made do with what I had. I also noticed that some of the videos the audio was way quieter or louder than the previous videos. The narrator for this course didn't seem to enthusiastic like the previous narrator. Just know that this course has a lot of information packed in tight, so just know that if you didn't fully comprehend a video just go back and watch it again.

By John S

Oct 7, 2020

I would LOVE to see this course updated. Also, it would be great in general to get more feedback and interaction in the learning. The quizzes in between modules could be upgraded to be closer to the challenge of the final graded assignment. Also, a final exam that covered the entire scope would be appreciated. I found it very difficult to memorize all of the information without being tested as most of the education is just watching someone talk at a desk. For learners like me who need reinforcement it is not especially effective. However, I did find the material very interesting!

By goodservant

Feb 6, 2021

As a person without any IT background, teaching was very confusing to understand, because the instructor used technical terms without explanation of it. It only covers important technical terms, but I often had to research through the internet to find out the meaning of the terms and concepts that were mentioned without explanation.

Some video ends before the instructor finishes.

Scripts sometimes do not match with the video.

I am a little worried because I could not build many foundations through this lesson...

But, I still appreciate Coursera for providing a way to learn.

By Jason C

Dec 19, 2020

Lots of information, very little practical application practice. There was a ton to learn, I would have liked to reinforce it with some hands on implementation through Remote connections of gameplay situations ect... Will definitely need to revisit these lessons to help cement the details of the concepts. Also unsure how much of the information detail I'll need to know offhand for the compITA A+ cert, with this amount of information to absorb it would have been nice to know which information was critical and which information was elective to obtaining the certification.

By Alyssa M

Apr 24, 2019

I think that some of the quizzes were more about memorization of numbers and definitions, which didn't help me truly learn the material. I had to memorize lots of information for the quizzes, which had many bugs so that I was forced to get 100% on everything besides the interactive modules, since they were broken or confusing so often.

I have surprisingly remembered alot of the information from this course, but I have to say most of the details will be forgotten because of how the information was presented in a "here's a word, here's the definition" format.

By Troy Z

Mar 1, 2021

Overall, video and production quality was great. However, a lot of details to memorize and a huge lack of supporting mnemonics. I get that there's a lot that's offered other than the video learning material, but when I pay for education I'd like help with the actual learning part; not just knowledge dumps in video form. Overall, I still think the cost/benefit ratio is huge, but this is exhausting. I'm going to have to go back and look at professor messor and other supplemental material. I'd say, and above average above the line view of the material.

By Aimal A

Jun 19, 2020

First course had some practical materials, but in this course I didn't observe any practical material and it all focused on history of internet. I think practical is very important than history of internet. For instance, when I interview by the company, I am sure they never ask about the history of internet and they will exactly ask questions about how to build network, in troubleshooting if the internet doesn't work what is your first strategy for identifying the problem internet. I don't see anything useful in this course.

By Romi S

Feb 23, 2021

I found this course far more difficult than the previous one. It took me a long time because I could not follow a lot of what the instructor was explaining. I ended up having to look online for videos explaining how the concepts in this course worked elsewhere just so I could understand what the instructor was trying to say. While I did learn networking, it was a painful process. I truly think you guys should rework these videos and make them more accessible. If you're trying to weed people out, then this is a great way of doing it.

By Joseph S

Jul 9, 2020

While I learned a lot for this some things didn't come easy and that being said something on the test and in the course itself were not clear or gone over. Lot of terms or questions I saw on the test that I got wrong I had to go to external source to understand of even just to get clarified. While I be lieing to say that because of these I didn't learn things because I did learn a lot. Lot of thing that I will need to get a IT career, but I do feel some revisions of this course would benefit future students in the long run.