Back to The Bits and Bytes of Computer Networking

JP
Jan 25, 2018

A lot of information, but i feel like i fully understand core networking concepts. A lot of this info has helped me comprehend what will be required for me when I take my Network + certification exam.

WW
Nov 8, 2020

Great overview of the technical aspects of networking that, once again, started from the very "I know nothing basics" and moved to more advanced topics at a rate that this beginner could keep up with.

7451 - 7475 of 7,660 Reviews for The Bits and Bytes of Computer Networking

Mar 11, 2021

hard

By Kacham A

Feb 23, 2021

Good

By Pat D B

Jun 1, 2020

By LAILI H

Mar 19, 2021

By Paty

Jan 17, 2021

overall: It could be simplified and focused on quiz questions and modules, etc as well. The lesson content is extremely dense and not easy to grasp. It seems too complicated and not useful for learners.

Quiz modules set-up requirements could be explicitly stated

e.g. one exam only works on Chrome; another exam fails students without explicitly explaining the rules for failure. Even after submitting correct questions the quiz shows failure. (requires refresh of entire page, should consider eliminating the "refresh" question button that results in a fail. This is not a browser issue from my experience).

If you update the above, I'm sure you will have fewer frustrated students.

I feel sorry for the teacher who is getting heat for this module. If there is a curriculum creator, it seems he/she simply copy and pasted info and created an exam without checking whether the content was clear in the lessons. As a credentialed teacher, I'd eliminate most of the complicated wordage, lengthy explanations. I'd add examples/visuals, and makes sure the quiz is relevant to what was discussed in the lesson. In addition, I'd make sure the instructions and the requirements for the quiz was CLEARLY and explicitly mentioned.

Interesting note: ipv6 compression tools on the web may be producing wrong answers, or the answers in the quiz are wrong. I'm guessing maybe the web tools may be missing parameters in their algorithm that produces wrong answers? I'm assuming and hoping the quiz correct answers are correct.

By Erik S

Jun 12, 2020

I think the course was alright. The instructor while very friendly, and making an effort to be engaging, seemed like he was reading off of slides, versus actually working to teach a relatively complex subject such as Networking. I took extensive notes, but even then, it seemed that the explanations given for some of the core topics and vocabulary had no rhyme or reason to the emphasis placed on them, and sometimes assumed prior knowledge not covered within the class. In other words, a concept that only was covered for less than a minute might be tested extensively in the final exam, but one that might've been covered for an entire video might only have a single question, or none at all in the final. The jokes, while cute, sometimes were incredibly distracting, and would sidetrack off of some core concepts leaving me having to watch a certain segment up to three times. Finally, some of the interactive lessons were amazing at teaching complex concepts in a somewhat fun, and interactive environment, but they also would occasionally be somewhat buggy, with one of the last ones not loading at all. I think this course could be a little better prepared to become an actual interactive classroom, this one at least seemed more like a very bright student's presentation on what they know on the topic of networking.

By Tabathia S

Mar 12, 2021

In multiple places, it felt very disorganized and in multiple places "I should call out" completely reverses what was said before.

Some spots felt like the videos were out of order, a topic was presented then the opposite was presented, but then it was switched back to the first topic. Don't explain dynamic addresses switch to static and then return to dynamic.

If there are 13 AUTHORITIVE root servers say there are 13 authoritative root servers. Don't say there are 13 root servers and then say "I should call out" there are more than 13 root servers. If VPN is not a protocol don't call it a protocol and then have "I should call out" it's not really a protocol. If it makes the topic easier to understand state that a simplified way is this, or at one point it was this way, but now we have expanded to this way.

I want to go into networking and taking these courses to get started while working on certificates for networking, but this course was very confusing and difficult. Even after already taking networking classes. I considered giving up since everything was all over the place.

By Nick S

Jan 16, 2021

Lots of basic errors that weren't corrected in the videos, simple errors that make it difficult for people learning for the first time. Ex: 1+1=3 then a window pops up saying "Oops! We meant to say 1+1=2" there are way too many of these throughout all the IT support course. Another big issue is that when I get stuck and go to forums there are so many others lost and confused by the videos and explanations given (understandable with it being tougher material) but then there are no instructors/mentors responding to help! There are tons of unanswered threads with people like me who couldn't grasp some of these concepts because they weren't explained enough and the only people answering them are other students taking the class who found it through youtube or people who already know the info and are just taking the class to refresh their knowledge. Really good program but there are too many errors in my opinion and too much room for improvement; it seems like they just wanted to get it out rather then get it done right.

By Richard K

Oct 5, 2021

I found the instruction needlessly confusing. The instructor sort of rambled making no distinction between needed facts and ancillary information. When questioned, i was asked to respond to questions based on one sentence of content. Their was little to "drill down" on as everything was a mono-tone of boring lecture. Yes, the information was correct, but much of it was presented without benefit of instructive example. Just a little time taken to show the "how" of operations would have made a great difference. Instead, i struggled to maintain interest and in the end i settled for the passing grade ( 92 ) instead of pushing for my best. I felt like this just had to end. Worst, i started to doubt myself and the value of this course. But, shaking that off i intend to go to the next level and do well their. Bits and bytes was disappointing

By Mike A

Jul 13, 2020

While a lot of the information in this course is useful, it's presented very densely and with a fair amount of superfluous information surrounding it. I appreciate the desire to include the origins of technology, but there's a point of diminishing returns on the benefits of understanding something that no one ever encounters or uses as a modern day technology specialist. The information that was relevant was incredibly useful, but the presentation, particularly the horrendous puns and jokes that are delivered through poorly held back laughter, was irritating enough that I almost completely abandoned the course and cancelled my subscription to the specialization. I know that's a stupid, petty reason to dislike it so much, but I also don't think I should highly recommend something that I often found inaccessible or off-putting.

By Jesse G

Feb 8, 2021

I feel that the course titled The Bits and Bytes of Computer Networking wasn't really what I was expecting it to be. The lessons did not really go that much in depth and I felt that I really didn't learn the absolute fundamentals of computer networking. In most cases throughout this course, I had to find additional materials to help me understand what the course was trying to present to me. Even the provided supplemental readings (with perhaps the Wikipedia articles as an exception) failed to give me any kind of understanding of what I was supposed to learn in that particular lesson. Also, I feel it would have been beneficial to me, as a somewhat networking novice, if the lessons were more hands-on with scenarios of what I might encounter if I were in a networking role.