Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Plot

LB
Nov 15, 2018

Great information about plot and scene structure. The information about revision was entirely new to me - thank you! The exercises were good and difficult in a good way that helped me hone my writing.

BM
Nov 4, 2019

The course was informative on how to build, structure and develop the plot of our own stories. It was also very helpful in guiding us through the editing process. A useful course for aspiring writers.

1226 - 1243 of 1,243 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Plot

By ahmed i

Jan 17, 2017

it seems good and hopefully will be valuable in my context

By Digant K

Mar 27, 2016

So overly simple with a lack of details in the steps.

By Zamzam A

Mar 19, 2020

I feel we need professional assignment reviews.

By Mohammed A

Aug 18, 2016

Nice, informative, but basic and short.

By Yvette R

Mar 31, 2021

The material is good in all the courses. The weakness is in the feedback, the crucial part of this course. This is true of all Coursera's writing courses. There are NO moderators, although it appears there are. Years ago, Coursera shifted from a cohort-structured (everyone starts and stops at the same time together) to a rolling enrollment model, where people can start anytime. I see the benefit to the latter, but in the former model, I was in a course with a number of students and we stayed together throughout the various modules of that course. We got to know each other's writings. We actually created learning groups within the class. It was amazing.

No one is checking in on the courses. That allows one to receive feedback that is actually nonexistent. For example, in one course, here is the feedback I receive

y

Yes that was the three sets of feedback I received for one assignment. All three students received credit for this feedback. It wasn't the first time I received the number "1" as feedback.

Now the rolling enrollment model means you rarely see the same writer's work which doesn't allow the writer to have a reader who watches them evolve and provides feedback in a meaningful way.

Many of the questions asked by the instructor in the feedback were close-ended questions which meant students could provide simply a yes or no responses.

I gained from reading the material. I rarely gained any meaningful feedback (maybe 20% of the time) even though the course tells us that feedback is the key aspect of this course.

By Juliana C

Feb 17, 2021

The course is interesting, but the videos are not enough. The instructor is charismatic and friendly. I received very poor feedback from peers ('yes/no/good' answers without any useful information). I did get some useful feedback. And on the last assignment, the program algorithm doesn't match a reviewer which could force you to pay another month, just to get the last review and the certificate. The course is worth the $50, but the review/feedback system is terrible. I will not proceed with the remaining 4 courses (which would mean spending an additional $200). This is very sad, as I was excited about taking writing classes online. Maybe they can limit the number of participants and add a few TAs/mentors to give more valuable feedback.

By Patrick N

Apr 5, 2021

I think I agree with most of the past comments about this course. It's an interesting introduction but lacking in real depth. Writing by numbers to make a sellable book was one comment. I was also disappointed in not getting feedback from more senior writers. Some of the writing you have to review is painful to read, not because it is written by non-native speakers but because the ideas aren't well developed. Still it is a useful course and I intend to complete it.

By Sofía G M

Aug 6, 2020

I feel like, even though it is a course about PLOT, they should give you suggestions and advice when it comes to developing other parts of your story (characters, for example). Also, I think there should be multiple SHORTER activities for us to practice more instead of just one HUGE assignment at the end of each lesson

By JENNIFER G

Aug 16, 2020

The pre-recorded lessons were good, but the assignments were unhelpful, as the peer critique process is highly flawed. Students need opportunities for professional critiques and face-to-face encounters with a cohort or associate professor...someone with some credentials or skin in the game.

By Pawee S

Mar 29, 2016

I hope the instructions were cleary and not too vague that it was open to many interpretation. An example would have helped and the rubrics/criteria for grading should have been shown beforehand so students would be guided what points they would consider when making their piece.

By Akshat J

Jul 1, 2020

Not all assignments were related to what was covered in the lectures, they were actually quite random. I enjoyed the course but I think I would have learned much more had this not just been about the very basics and discussing film plots! We already know that

By Rachel C

Apr 17, 2021

Did not find this course engaging, definitely struggled to finish

By Justine B

May 4, 2021

Some helpful material but a lot of it was superfluous. Also, you cant 'complete' the course until 3 other people have to review your final assessment before you can pass. This took a very long time and there are lots of posts up on the forum begging for people to review their work. This is a poor format and I would avoid doing classes like this again in the future. Also, because all your submissions are marked by peers, rather than anyone with any actual writing knowledge or experience (and with English as a second language in a lot of cases), the feedback you get often isn't helpful. Peer feedback definitely has it's place, but tutor feedback would have been the most useful. I am really disppointed I paid for this and would strongly discourage others from wasting money on this course or tutor.

By Kathleen B

Jun 27, 2019

I completed my four assignments...I reviewed the work of others. Every time I log in I get a message that tells me I can finish in another two hours.... Finish what? I think I am finished, and can't find what more is required. I contacted Coursera. I chatted...the lady told me I was finished and that I would get a grade. I haven't gotten a grade.

So I'm out of here. I loved the coursework. It was excellent. I absolutely hate the website. Udemy works!

By Song L

Oct 27, 2020

I only wanted to try the course but was charged $49 and non refundable! as soon as I heard the instructor started to talk about Harry Potter I was not interested and wanted to quit. Why was I charged $49 and cannot unenroll, and found nowhere to contact Coursera for refund?! This is cheating.

By Natalia M O

Apr 13, 2021

Me quiero dar de baja y no encuentro cómo hacerlo. Me pueden ayudar por favor.

By Prasad S J