Back to Object-Oriented Data Structures in C++

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Object-Oriented Data Structures in C++ by University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

This course teaches learners how to write a program in the C++ language, including how to set up a development environment for writing and debugging C++ code and how to implement data structures as C++ classes. It is the first course in the Accelerated CS Fundamentals specialization, and subsequent courses in this specialization will be using C++ as the language for implementing the data structures covered in class....

EQ

Jan 12, 2020

Honestly, this is a great crash course in OOP for C++ (though the ideas can be applied to any language). Previous experience with C++ is almost a necessity, the lessons can be complicated for novices.

AR

Jan 31, 2021

Great course, simple and difficult all at the same time. Great introduction to these topics. Every thing that is included is there for a reason as every thing is straight to the point with no filler.

76 - 100 of 619 Reviews for Object-Oriented Data Structures in C++

By Suprajith H

Apr 7, 2020

Excellent course if you already know a little bit of C programming and you want to learn C++. Really good explanation about the memory model. The codebase provided with the course is terrific. One can learn a lot through these simple lessons. The reading section is also very helpful. The quizzes are topical and helps one understand the content of the lessons thoroughly.

By Andre A M

Dec 28, 2019

Covers accelerated C++ concepts. Not for new programmers, but those interested in learning C++ concepts and library API. Note people have had trouble with the difficulty with the final project but it's not too bad if you have programming experience. Recommended even if you are familiar with C++ because there are gold nuggets of new info everywhere (at least for me).

By Ashwin K

Apr 26, 2020

Really great explanations and well written source code. I am still not confidant about my understanding about Tower of Hanoi. I am planning to spend more time into it. Would the instructors suggest a way for me to give a better way to understand the concepts ? Or is it a matter of lack of higher aptitude ? This feedback will help me to improve myself . Thank you.

By Joshua T

Dec 19, 2019

Really good course, and I will now continue to complete the other two courses to complete the specialisation. One comment is that I wasn't too much of a fan of seeing an extra paywall (using an Amazon product) when I've already paid for the Coursera course. I used my own bash and VSC for all the exercises on a Windows machine, so no (unsolvable) problems there.

By Hovannes J

Aug 31, 2019

Had coded in python and java previously; was a great intro course and the final project provided a nice set of methods to test out coding skills learned. The instructor provides an efficient overview of the main concepts. Suggestion for minor improvement: pointers and memory are not immediately straightforward so more focus on them would be nice.

By Chinmay T

Mar 15, 2021

This is a great course for anyone who wants to learn basics concepts of Object-Oriented Programming, without any prior knowledge. The quizzes, challenge questions and the final project are designed to really test the student's understanding of the concepts taught in the course. The code database (examples) provided are ample and extensive.

By John H

Jul 27, 2020

great course for those who already have intermediate background in OOP like java, glad you guys emphasized c++ specific things like .h/.cpp interaction, pointers, heap, and other smaller things and not things people know like loops and if statements. feel like it was a good use of my time, as it was concise, effective, and interactive.

By Michael V

Jul 28, 2019

Course is very solid at teaching some fundamentals of C++ and having you apply those fundamentals. It's certainly helpful if you come in with some basic understanding of C++ syntax, as the difficulty/complexity level hops around a bit, but overall it's a great course to kick of the Accelerated CS Fundamentals specialization.

By Sabari M

Jan 30, 2020

An excellent introduction to C++! The course content and the delivery of the professor is great. Although I felt a lack of enough exercise problems to work on. My only suggestion to the course team is to provide a set of optional problems to solve, which you don't necessarily need to complete to get the certificate.

By Nader G

Sep 19, 2020

Great introduction to C++. One of the best explanations of the memory model I have ever seen. I recommend it to any computer science student or siftware engineer, even if your main programming language is not C++. If you ask yourself question like "What's heap vs stack", this course will greatly help.

By Youdinghuan C

Sep 22, 2020

This is a really good course. I took it twice. The instructor is so enthusiastic and knowledgeable. The course quizzes are challenging yet incredibly relevant to the lecture materials. I liked the final project a lot -- it was a great demo of C++ as a S.W.E. tool even in the most mundane scenarios.

By Ayush S

Sep 29, 2020

This course is Super Awesome for someone who intermediate level of knowledge in C++ or is just a beginner, both. I learnt a lot from this course. The quality is super brilliant, whether it's content, tutorial, assignments or efforts put in. Everything about this course is a benchmark and amazing.

By Islam M

Dec 26, 2021

Should be considered for c++ beginner level, Final week 4 problem only needs problem solving skills I expected it to target the understanding of c++ code structure. Overall the course was good regarding exploring a new platform to me (WLS2 or cloud9) + introducing different tech problems.

By Bijoy K B

Oct 24, 2020

It was a great course to learn all about memory management, that is, stack memory and heap memory. It tells many things about Class, the user-defined data structure. It covers all the basic things one must have in C++. The lecture videos were good along with the final project.

By Amandeep S

Jun 21, 2020

The most well-laid out and documented course I have ever done on Coursera. Skips the essential basics of programming, and jumps right to the important content. Extremely valuable course to do. Great job by the instructors! Will pursue the entire specialization definitely.

By KANG L

May 22, 2020

One of the best courses on C++ I have ever taken. Technically advanced topics was discussed in a concise and clear explanation with reinforcing the concepts through quizzes and assignments. I thought the whole teaching approach was very efficient and effective format.

By Yishuai C

Jan 25, 2021

I love this course so much. Professor makes it very clear and logical. There its no one sentence that is redundant. I found it that watching the videos twice helps better understanding. I'm so excited to start next course and I really hope I can join the MCS program.

By Jonathan L

Sep 2, 2021

T​he sections on the Towers of Hanoi could use some refinement, but overall I really enjoyed the class. The final programming project was particularly well written (even fun), and I'd consider it one of the best projects I've ever attempted as part of a MOOC.

By I D

Jul 17, 2021

I really liked this course. It is not a basic intro to programming course so you should have some exposure to programming before, otherwise it might be a little be challenging, otherwise it is a great course to expose you to the basic concepts of OOP in C++.

By Puttaraj K

Apr 18, 2020

This course has been really a great help for my C++ programming skills. Coming from a mechanical background i have really developed a interest in C++ programming after this course. Video lectures, quiz and assignment projects are good and easy to understand.

By Yuxin W

Oct 19, 2019

Very nice illustration of memory management, passing by reference, by pointer, by values etc. Coming from a Python programming background, the key idea is not hard to grasp and the assignments are not hard to complete, but overall the introduction was great.

By KANG J H

Aug 28, 2021

As from Java background was great to be able to experience what C++ is like and was definitely impressed with how the class had been organized to demonstrate the strong points of C++. Still this class seem to require you have some background in programming.

By Alonso A

Nov 9, 2021

Very well put, challenging enough to make you stick to the concepts, little bit of googling sometimes for clarifications. The professor is good at explaining and keeping it concise and short. Recommend it as an intro to anyone who is starting to learn c++.

By Ahmed M

Nov 23, 2020

Lectures were very clear and easy to understand. The professor's teaching style is excellent for walking you through things from the ground up. I do feel as though there should be more hands on exercises, but besides that it's been a great course so far.

By Suhas A B

I would initially feel that the weekly challenges were too advanced vs. the course material itself but if you really put in the needed effort and go through the videos/readings with attention to detail you soon realize the course is structured perfectly.