Back to Fundamentals of Visualization with Tableau

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fundamentals of Visualization with Tableau by University of California, Davis

In this first course of this specialization, you will discover what data visualization is, and how we can use it to better see and understand data. Using Tableau, we’ll examine the fundamental concepts of data visualization and explore the Tableau interface, identifying and applying the various tools Tableau has to offer. By the end of the course you will be able to prepare and import data into Tableau and explain the relationship between data analytics and data visualization. This course is designed for the learner who has never used Tableau before, or who may need a refresher or want to explore Tableau in more depth. No prior technical or analytical background is required. The course will guide you through the steps necessary to create your first visualization from the beginning based on data context, setting the stage for you to advance to the next course in the Specialization....

DA
Aug 24, 2020

Am glad I learnt a lot from this module, which I know will sharpen my skills for my chosen career path as a data scientist. Am hoping to learn more new skills to improve on my already existing skills.

HR
May 1, 2017

Amazing course, amazing instructors and assignments. I really enjoyed working with Tableau.\n\nYou may experience some confusion for some assignments but don't worry! Just use the discussion boards :)

976 - 1000 of 1,030 Reviews for Fundamentals of Visualization with Tableau

By Laura S

Dec 13, 2020

Final work evaluation is based not on Tableau dashboard and skills you gained, but on Twitter post and used hashtags. I would suggest to skip this course and start from the next one in this specialization.

By Linda B

Oct 19, 2020

The course was doing just fine, but the final assignment was crazy. You assumed knowledge of Twitter, URLs, posting to Twitter, screenshots, etc. Nothing said I had to be familiar with all of that.

By Ryan L

May 9, 2019

Thought it would have more of a focus on Tableau. There wasn't very much instruction on Tableau and the first assignment was confusing with no review.

By Grant W

Apr 29, 2020

Dry lectures by a prof trying his best. There are better courses out there for the money unfortunately - check out the one offered by Duke University.

By Julian H

It's a very quick introduction to tableau. It's suitable to do the very first steps with this software. You can finish this course within 2-3 hours

By Mariana B

Sep 23, 2019

I expected to do more practical examples in Tableau. The peer assignment was horrible as the steps were so poorly explained and created confusion.

By Chen M

Aug 24, 2019

It unconvenient to fly from one link to another link. not well-organized, need more practive not just answer those questions to pass the test.

By Bruno G d F e S

Dec 26, 2017

The subject is great, but the materials are scattered and the peer evaluation assignments are holding me from completing the course.

By Jim S

Aug 19, 2017

Very, very basic. Information presented is good but I would recommend skipping if you're adding a BI tool to an existing skillset.

By Chris M

Jul 28, 2019

Some good resources provided, but too high level. Looking forward to more detail in the next courses.

By S.Sai R S S

Jun 11, 2020

There is not much Depth even in the topics covered in this course !!

By Beverly F

Aug 28, 2019

I thought this would be a class to learn Tableau. it wasn't.

By Seho L

Jan 22, 2020

Material is too scattered and I didn't learn much.

By Kevin M

Jul 8, 2019

Assignments were way too easy and tedious.

By Monserrat A R

May 12, 2020

mucho mas básico de lo que me imaginaba

By Zack W

Jul 26, 2020

Not very informative, it would help a lot if there was some sort of standard dataset that was included with the course rather than picking your own, as the dataset I picked was not nicely formatted for use in Tableau (although I would've been fine making visualizations in Python/R/etc).

Final project requires you to post on Twitter. I do not have a Twitter, I do not want a Twitter, I don't understand what Twitter has to do with learning Tableau, therefore I did not finish the course.

By Larry C

Sep 16, 2016

Very basic in terms of material covered. Would be nice as a free remedial class in prep for the main specialization. Homework assignments were confusing and did not appear to have been reviewed by the instructors before being sent to students (main problem, the free software students use was not the same version as that being used to develop the homework). Instructor support was not evident in the user forums. Below the quality of the free classes taken in the past.

By Peter C

Feb 7, 2019

I thought the presentation was clear, the production was professional, and the instructors were solid. Unfortunately I felt the course had too much "fluff" and not enough functional/technical knowledge. Yes, there are interesting topics... but for a course titled, "fundamental of Visualization with TABLEAU," I expected a lot more of Tableau to be covered. All you get from this course is how to connect to data sources, which is intuitive to begin with. Disappointed.

By Theodore B

Dec 18, 2019

I think this course could use a real bump with instruction and content. I found Week 3 to be very repetitive for each "module". I am flat out disappointed and I wish I could get my money back. I shouldn't be able to breeze through this so quickly without really touching the tool before. Second - the Week 3 Peer Review assignment won't even work - I can't get TP to import it no matter how I try - Excel or sliced CSVs.

By Edward M

Jul 8, 2019

This is really more of a fundamentals of visualisation than a Tableau course. Misleading title aside, the course left quite a bit to be desired and included peer-reviewed assignments which covered content not discussed in the course. Repeated attempts by participants to have the assignments updated and have gone unacknowledged for 2 years from when I took the course in June 2019.

By Karen V

Nov 30, 2020

I was disappointed with the amount of time that was dedicated to teaching the actual basics of Tableau and basic data visualization best practices. Also, more emphasis was placed on using Twitter and connecting with the data viz community for the last project rather than focusing on the fundamentals of Tableau and visual design.

By luc m

May 6, 2020

Do not take this course. The material has little to do with the present version of Tableau. The data files provided by the instructors actually crashed the latest version of Tableau 2020.2

Furthermore most of the supporting material directs the student to the tutorials provided by Tableau.

This was an absolute waste of my time

By Prateek P

Oct 3, 2019

Poorly organized course. Video lectures were repeated, assignments were ambiguously stated, and quiz questions did not challenge the user to apply the knowledge presented in the course. The Tableau software is incredibly powerful, but I can not recommend using this course to learn it over other resources available online

By Mehmed P

Jan 13, 2020

I was not able to complete assignments because I needed to buy Tableau Desktop for my Week 3 assignment. Tableau Public does not have certain features that are necessary to complete this rather trivial assignment.

Biggest issue is that this is a specialization course, and that means money is not refundable.

By Shashidhar G

Mar 2, 2020

Not in a favor of this course as it takes much of our time in the review, and involve inconsistent score by reviewer mindset. Received an email from Coursera with a low Grade achieved score after scoring more than the threshold assessments.

Disagree with Coursera discern method on learning and review.