Back to Fundamentals of Visualization with Tableau

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fundamentals of Visualization with Tableau by University of California, Davis

In this first course of this specialization, you will discover what data visualization is, and how we can use it to better see and understand data. Using Tableau, we’ll examine the fundamental concepts of data visualization and explore the Tableau interface, identifying and applying the various tools Tableau has to offer. By the end of the course you will be able to prepare and import data into Tableau and explain the relationship between data analytics and data visualization. This course is designed for the learner who has never used Tableau before, or who may need a refresher or want to explore Tableau in more depth. No prior technical or analytical background is required. The course will guide you through the steps necessary to create your first visualization from the beginning based on data context, setting the stage for you to advance to the next course in the Specialization....

HR
May 1, 2017

Amazing course, amazing instructors and assignments. I really enjoyed working with Tableau.\n\nYou may experience some confusion for some assignments but don't worry! Just use the discussion boards :)

DA
Aug 24, 2020

Am glad I learnt a lot from this module, which I know will sharpen my skills for my chosen career path as a data scientist. Am hoping to learn more new skills to improve on my already existing skills.

1001 - 1025 of 1,091 Reviews for Fundamentals of Visualization with Tableau

Jan 19, 2017

So basic Tableau explanations

By Xenia T

Sep 4, 2017

Could be a bit more advanced

By Shanshan H

Aug 5, 2019

this course is too simple

By Daniel L

Apr 26, 2018

N

By Jiacheng F

Oct 11, 2020

Not a very useful course. The instructor didn't really cover that much of the detail of the tableau software and her instruction was not clear enough to walk you through some of the most important features of tableau such as filters applied on each individual worksheet which you should use in your final assignment. Speaking of the final assignment, the rubric doesn't focus on the quality of the viz but rather on weather you "tweeted" properly. After taking hours on the final assignment in order to make it as good as possible, that is how you evaluate my hard work!!? Overall, very disappointing on this course! If you are taking it for fun, it is certainly a good course for entertainment, but I don't recommend it for students who are looking for an effective way to enhance their knowledge on Tableau.

By Mona F

Jul 14, 2020

I found this to be a disappointing course. The Tableau parts have no real added value on top of what's available for free on Tableau's site.

Unfortunately I felt the course had too much "fluff" and not enough technical knowledge. For a course titled, "fundamental of Visualization with TABLEAU," I expected a lot more of Tableau to be covered. All you get from this course is how to connect to data sources. Disappointed.

The fact that the assignments are peer reviewed put you in a dead lock. You are at the mercy of "peers" that do not even check the answers you provide and are just plainly rude. Disappointing.

By Subham S D

Nov 14, 2019

So, this course starts with a bang but 50% of the stuff was irrelevant, rather it would have been better if you just taught us Tableau and its usages instead of unwanted stuff. The course is too short literally and hardly covers anything useful. Govind blabbers just something which even he isn't sure of in the last Storyboarding lecture. Rest all were fine but seriously, you could have just taught us the whole Tableau interface. And I wonder what the use of the last assignment really is. I just rate it two because the instructors were good but the course content deserves nothing. Thanks and Cheers!

By Ashley J

Apr 3, 2017

I was looking for a course that discusses how to think about the data and how to manipulate the data based on the questions you have. This course was more basic and didn't really focus on the many ways of visualizing the data to tell a story. The course did not discuss the pros and cons of each type of visualization (e.g., pie chart vs. line graph vs. column chart etc but of course more complex because we are using tableau) with the type of question and answers you are looking for. This type of content is what I was most interested in.

By JBM

Apr 22, 2021

The work had little to do with Tableau (google sheets, twitter, makeover Mondays). A promised license to Tableau did not exist. The versions are outdated. The instructor was honestly annoying - she read notes into the camera with the irritating voice of a high school play actor. The final project was an incredible disappointment and waste of time. I was graded on whether I posted a static image and a shortened URL to twitter, among other stupidities.

By Derrick G

Aug 13, 2019

While the video and audio quality are much better than many other classes I've watched on coursera and other platforms, there is very little practical knowledge to be gained from this course.

There are some interesting reading materials included (most of which are straight from the Tableau website), but if you want to quickly learn the basics of Tableau, your time is much better spent with YouTube and the documentation on the Tableau website.

By Marius S

Jun 5, 2020

The quiz didn't have relevant questions for someone who wants to learn and work in tableau. I expected to see more questions about dimensions, measures, parameters, filters, calculated fields and more. For the final assigment, I don't think that it's ok to mark 5/9 points for tweeting the assigment. Some people might not have twitter and it's not ok to make them create an account for the course.

By Charles R T

Jan 10, 2020

I was really excited for this course. I thought I would be getting an interesting new approach to looking at data and learning new ways to communicate data to an audience. Instead I was given vague platitudes and unclear assignments that in no way help my understanding of data visualization or my ability to communicate results effectively. I will not be recommending this course to others.

By Laruchelle d A

Jul 2, 2020

The course really didn't explain the fundamentals of Tableau for me. I found the How To videos on Tableau itself to be more useful, which is a shame. The course could really drill down more on the "Detail" or "Colour" tabs. Also, I really don't like to be forced to sign-up on a social media page just for an assignment, the assignment also didn't test my Tableau viz skills in anyway.

By Lukas D

Dec 19, 2020

This course was not produced to high standards. There were many mistakes in editing and screen recording. The tools conveyed were very basic which in itself was good, but completion of this course does not translate in any real world skills yet. Also, one of the assignments required a Twitter account to publicly post one's results for peer review. This should not be mandatory.

By Olga A

Apr 29, 2020

This course is not updated up to 2020. The program has been modified and doesn't work the way they explain (extract of data e.g). The duration of the course is too long compared to the information., there are a lot of repeating info in each video. The qualification base on evaluation by your colleagues on that stage, with that amount of info offered, has absolutely no sense.

By Mariam E

Sep 27, 2016

The course is very preliminary. Its content can be covered in one session and does not need 4 weeks. The assignments were not clear enough. The course material can not be downloaded and can not be retrieved or used as reference after finishing the course, unlike other courses I have taken with Coursera, but in other University.

By Yangsu

Mar 22, 2017

This course basically treats you like an extremely slow-learning retarded individual. Totally waste of your time by watching a bunch of videos. The contents are so thin. All the contents covered in these course videos can be summarized in a 10-minute video. If you have a lot of time you don't know how to spend. Enroll in!

By Debra T M E

Jan 23, 2021

I'm not sure why this specialization still appears when I have canceled this subscription and the cancel option no longer appears in the upper right-hand corner. I do not want to be charged for all courses I tried during the trial period. Why the hell you all don't have a direct number to customer service?

By Pam P

Jan 13, 2021

I completed this course and I honestly felt like I didn't learn anything. Most things aren't explained very well. The tutorials on learning the actual software weren't very helpful. I don't have any confidence in creating useful worksheets, let alone a dashboard.

By Robert B

Dec 26, 2018

Didn't really provide many details on how to user Tableau. Tableau Desktop was needed to complete the Week 3 exercise properly. I don't like leaving negative reviews, but I feel like other students should be aware of this before starting the course